Start by marking “Just Like Ice Cream” as Want to Read:
Just Like Ice Cream

Lissa Halls Johnson

Just Like Ice Cream

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Desperate, afraid, confused, Julie struggles to find the courage to make it through. Then a good friend comes to help her, and she finds strength and com-fort from the most wonderful place of all.
Published May 1st 1992 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Ice Cream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like Ice Cream

Danielle
Oct 25, 2010 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenage-years
I remember reading this as a teenager and thinking "if my mom knows I'm reading this, I'm in BIG trouble". It was the first time I'd ever read anything about sex. I know that it was meant as a means to deter teenies from doing the deed, but it made me MORE curious. I remember this book fondly because... it was "naughty"! LOL
Clackamas
I read this book while I was living in a homeless shelter for pregnant teens. It was one of the the few books on the house bookshelf than wasn't completely religious (though it is from a Christian perspective). My main impression at the time was, "It's a little late." After all, it was intended to help girls make better decisions and not BECOME pregnant, but those of us living there already were. =o)
Jan magdalene
Dec 11, 2013 Jan magdalene rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This poorly written piece of anti-sex propaganda makes lauaghable attempts to relate to teenage girls and mimic the ways that they speak and think.
Also, the content and moralism of it is disgusting: After getting into a coercive sexual relationship where the protagonist is basically coerced to have sex that she doesn't enjoy every day, the morals drawn are that she should have known better than to have wanted to have sex in the first place, rather than looking at how fucked-up the dude was and
Shameka
I read this book about 10 years ago when I was a teenager and I still remember it to this day. Julie is a teenage girl who like many just wants love and acceptance. She foolishly falls into a summer relationship with Kyle who ultimately coaxes her into having sex by reassuring her that it will be "just like ice cream". Like many, Julie mistakes Kyle's actions for love but eventually Kyle reveals his true colors and Julie finds herself pregnant and alone. This book explores Julie's story as she s ...more
Sep 27, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I have a love-hate relationship with this book. I think it is great in the sense that it teaches young girls about the real intentions of teenage boys. It also does a great job of showing the feelings that young women typically experiences after her first 'love'. However, I did not like how this book related to religious aspects in the end. It totally ruined the book for me.
Jeni
Apr 22, 2012 Jeni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book and thinking it was "naughty." I gave it to my youth group leader after I read it...and never got it back. She must have thought it was naughty, too.
Trixie Fontaine
One of the hottest books I read as a preteen. It was supposed to warn you away from sex and towards JESUS, but the seduction scenes were total masturbation material. Tres naughty!
Erica
I read this in the 6th grade with my friend and I don't really remember a lesson involved, but I know we giggled under the covers at how "naughty" it was.
Jennifer Robb
A very frank exploration of teenage sex and pregnancy. I thought the author did a good job of presenting the many decisions that face a teenage girl who is pregnant--from whether she should have an abortion or go through the pregnancy to who to tell to whether she should keep the baby after it's born or give it up for adoption. All hard decisions for anyone, let alone a teenage girl trying to make them on her own. Julie also explores the consequences of different decsions--how life will change i ...more
Zyra Sacal
Jan 11, 2015 Zyra Sacal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it'll give me a lesson.
Jakki
Oct 19, 2011 Jakki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen girls and anyone who works with them
Shelves: pre-marriage
A GREAT book for teens being pulled into the myth of "safe sex". What about the broken heart that often results when a young teen gives herself to a boy who doesn't care about her let alone love her as was the case in this story? This is a thought provoking book. My young adult daughter thought it was very good and felt all teenage girls should read it. A definite Christian book, abortion is considered but ultimately other plans are made for the well being of mama and baby.
Anna
Feb 28, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book a friend lent to me in junior high that I never returned because I liked it so much. Having been in the same place as the main character not too long ago, I think this book offers a lot of good food for thought regarding teen pregnancy/ adoption. Although this book didn't help me avoid the pitfalls of sex / unplanned pregnancy before marriage, maybe it could provide an opportunity for someone else to think before they act.
Michele Minor
Jun 16, 2010 Michele Minor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book that shows one young woman's struggle with putting her baby up for adoption. You can tell that the book is set before the time of the Internet and cell phones. Overall the message is still relevant today as it was during this time.
Valerie
Apr 26, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a wonderful book tha is to be shared with your daughter, your grand-daughter, your niece or any ylung woman who is just realizing the pressures her sexuality puts on her and teaches her how to handle a situation. love this book
Brandy
Aug 06, 2011 Brandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I read this book when I was in 8th grade and I think about it now and wonder why my mother let me read it!

Depicting the summer romance of a young girl and the consequences that follow. It is very discriptive!
Alison
Jul 08, 2010 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
total propaganda and ridiculous, but my boyfriend is on the cover!!! It does have really good descriptions of pregnancy and giving birth. it's preachiness is beyond comical. only read because of the cover. :-)
Shelby
Jul 24, 2012 Shelby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really good book for girls in high school, and really helps you see the truth and reasonings for decisions young girls make about sex, birth, and adoption.

Really recommend this.
Sammie
Apr 01, 2008 Sammie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book really got me thinking. it helped me set the boundries i currently have. she did an excellent job at writing this and getting her point across.
Jennifer Gonzalez
Jan 05, 2013 Jennifer Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a teen and it had a lasting impression of reality on me. I saved it for my daughter.
Rick
Aug 03, 2008 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book to give to pre-teens. Strips away the allure of innapropriate sexual behavior.
Stephanie
Apr 05, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this as a teenager and thinking how naughty it was.
Jordyn B
May 02, 2016 Jordyn B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
April 1st 2012

This just wasn't for me.
Kimber
its a great moral struggling book
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Anita
Anita added it
Aug 09, 2016
Shanice
Shanice rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa added it
Jul 22, 2016
Lauren Price
Lauren Price rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Frugillionaire: 500 Fabulous Ways to Live Richly and Save a Fortune
  • The Hidden Jewel
  • You Are Loved: Embracing the Everlasting Love God has for You
  • Mandie and Her Missing Kin (Mandie Books, 25)
  • It's Not About Him (Second Glances, #2)
  • Tristan's Gap
  • Declutter your life
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • Out of the Storm (GLH #87)
  • Caught in the Act (Amhearst Mystery Series #2) (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense #54)
LISSA HALLS JOHNSON is the author of novels for teens, tweens and young adults. Formerly a book producer at Focus on the Family, she was the creator, editor and writer for the Brio girls series and for the Kid Witness book series. She has contributed to Reader’s Digest, Brio, Breakaway, Focus on the Family Magazine, TQ, and other periodicals.
She has written radio drama scripts and was previously
More about Lissa Halls Johnson...