Blank-133x176
Just Like Ice Cream

Lissa Halls Johnson

Just Like Ice Cream

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Desperate, afraid, confused, Julie struggles to find the courage to make it through. Then a good friend comes to help her, and she finds strength and com-fort from the most wonderful place of all.
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published May 12th 1992 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Ice Cream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like Ice Cream

Danielle
I remember reading this as a teenager and thinking "if my mom knows I'm reading this, I'm in BIG trouble". It was the first time I'd ever read anything about sex. I know that it was meant as a means to deter teenies from doing the deed, but it made me MORE curious. I remember this book fondly because... it was "naughty"! LOL
Clackamas
I read this book while I was living in a homeless shelter for pregnant teens. It was one of the the few books on the house bookshelf than wasn't completely religious (though it is from a Christian perspective). My main impression at the time was, "It's a little late." After all, it was intended to help girls make better decisions and not BECOME pregnant, but those of us living there already were. =o)
Shameka
I read this book about 10 years ago when I was a teenager and I still remember it to this day. Julie is a teenage girl who like many just wants love and acceptance. She foolishly falls into a summer relationship with Kyle who ultimately coaxes her into having sex by reassuring her that it will be "just like ice cream". Like many, Julie mistakes Kyle's actions for love but eventually Kyle reveals his true colors and Julie finds herself pregnant and alone. This book explores Julie's story as she s...more
I have a love-hate relationship with this book. I think it is great in the sense that it teaches young girls about the real intentions of teenage boys. It also does a great job of showing the feelings that young women typically experiences after her first 'love'. However, I did not like how this book related to religious aspects in the end. It totally ruined the book for me.
Jeni
I remember reading this book and thinking it was "naughty." I gave it to my youth group leader after I read it...and never got it back. She must have thought it was naughty, too.
Trixie Fontaine
One of the hottest books I read as a preteen. It was supposed to warn you away from sex and towards JESUS, but the seduction scenes were total masturbation material. Tres naughty!
Erica
I read this in the 6th grade with my friend and I don't really remember a lesson involved, but I know we giggled under the covers at how "naughty" it was.
Janis Maudlin
This poorly written piece of anti-sex propaganda makes lauaghable attempts to relate to teenage girls and mimic the ways that they speak and think.
Also, the content and moralism of it is disgusting: After getting into a coercive sexual relationship where the protagonist is basically coerced to have sex that she doesn't enjoy every day, the morals drawn are that she should have known better than to have wanted to have sex in the first place, rather than looking at how fucked-up the dude was and...more
Jakki
Oct 19, 2011 Jakki rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen girls and anyone who works with them
Shelves: pre-marriage
A GREAT book for teens being pulled into the myth of "safe sex". What about the broken heart that often results when a young teen gives herself to a boy who doesn't care about her let alone love her as was the case in this story? This is a thought provoking book. My young adult daughter thought it was very good and felt all teenage girls should read it. A definite Christian book, abortion is considered but ultimately other plans are made for the well being of mama and baby.
Anna
This is a book a friend lent to me in junior high that I never returned because I liked it so much. Having been in the same place as the main character not too long ago, I think this book offers a lot of good food for thought regarding teen pregnancy/ adoption. Although this book didn't help me avoid the pitfalls of sex / unplanned pregnancy before marriage, maybe it could provide an opportunity for someone else to think before they act.
Michele Minor
This is an interesting book that shows one young woman's struggle with putting her baby up for adoption. You can tell that the book is set before the time of the Internet and cell phones. Overall the message is still relevant today as it was during this time.
Valerie
this is a wonderful book tha is to be shared with your daughter, your grand-daughter, your niece or any ylung woman who is just realizing the pressures her sexuality puts on her and teaches her how to handle a situation. love this book
Brandy
I read this book when I was in 8th grade and I think about it now and wonder why my mother let me read it!

Depicting the summer romance of a young girl and the consequences that follow. It is very discriptive!
Alison
total propaganda and ridiculous, but my boyfriend is on the cover!!! It does have really good descriptions of pregnancy and giving birth. it's preachiness is beyond comical. only read because of the cover. :-)
Shelby
This book is a really good book for girls in high school, and really helps you see the truth and reasonings for decisions young girls make about sex, birth, and adoption.

Really recommend this.
Sammie
this book really got me thinking. it helped me set the boundries i currently have. she did an excellent job at writing this and getting her point across.
Jennifer Gonzalez
I read this as a teen and it had a lasting impression of reality on me. I saved it for my daughter.
Rick
good book to give to pre-teens. Strips away the allure of innapropriate sexual behavior.
Stephanie
I remember reading this as a teenager and thinking how naughty it was.
Kimber
its a great moral struggling book
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Leeya
Leeya marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Jamie Nowland
Jamie Nowland marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
LISSA HALLS JOHNSON is the author of novels for teens, tweens and young adults. Formerly a book producer at Focus on the Family, she was the creator, editor and writer for the Brio girls series and for the Kid Witness book series. She has contributed to Reader’s Digest, Brio, Breakaway, Focus on the Family Magazine, TQ, and other periodicals.
She has written radio drama scripts and was previously...more
More about Lissa Halls Johnson...
Stuck in the Sky (Brio Girls) Fast Forward to Normal Double Exposure Croutons for Breakfast No Lifeguard on Duty