Start by marking “The Call of the Writer's Craft: Writing and Selling the Book Within” as Want to Read:
The Call of the Writer's Craft: Writing and Selling the Book Within

The Call of the Writer's Craft: Writing and Selling the Book Within

Getting a book successfully published is as much about talent and creative drive as it is a matter of determination and business practice. Luckily for would-be authors, this book delivers the how-to on both the creativity and the business.

Lecturer and writing retreat leader Tom Bird introduces authors to their Divine Author Within, and guides them through the process of li
Published July 18th 2009 by Adams Media (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Call of the Writer's Craft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Call of the Writer's Craft

T.J.
Aug 18, 2015 T.J. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aspiring writers who do not have a functional writing method.
Shelves: writing
I am NOT this books target audience. If I were I'd rate it lower, however, given it's intended purpose and it's intended audience it is exactly on target.
Personally I don't need any help disconnecting from the logical side of my mind. I don't need any help finding time to write. I don't need any help building writing speed. The writing by hand would slow my writing down more than it would help me. This book is clearly tailored for people who want to write and feel like they can't write while I'
Natalie
Apr 13, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it
Bird gives thorough step by step instructions on how to get your book written and published. Very informative with lists, estimated costs, websites and more. He inspired me to write my first book in just a couple of months - the polishing and publishing took much longer, of course - even during a period when I didn't think I could possibly find the time! I didn't give it 5 stars because some of the subheads in the beginning section about writing a book seemed to slow me down and not flow superbl ...more
David Gibson
Mar 28, 2015 David Gibson rated it did not like it
Tom Bird is to writing books as Syd Field is to writing screenplays. He doesn't. He can't.

Tom Bird can't write a good book so he teaches others to.

His main techniques are using occultic psychobabble to achieve your inspiration.

The only thing I found to have merit was to write your book as fast as possible so you don't interrupt or slow down the flow of ideas by editing or overthinking.

I found that valuable as one possible way to write. One that I used successfully in writing a script. It's a wa
Chelsea
Jul 07, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a little push creativly
Recommended to Chelsea by: Barns and Noble
Oh my gosh this book is the best motivational book I've ever read. The techniques outlined in it could be applied to any creative craft. I bought it in hopes of getting some tips on the best way to go about writing the story I've had bumbling around in my head for the past few months and I received way more than I paid for with this book. I'm following Tom Bird's advice to the T and I'm already further than I ever thought I would be in the writing of my own little novel. I loved this book and wo ...more
Victoria
Jan 25, 2015 Victoria rated it did not like it
I picked this book up at the library the other day, thinking it looked helpful and interesting, but upon reading it now I'd say it's the exact opposite of all the things the many many critic quotes claim on and in this book. This book takes a very New Age-y approach to the craft of writing and is barely, if at all, grounded in reality. I could see this book being good for people who subscribe to this sort of thinking, but I did not find it useful.
Kimberly
Aug 01, 2009 Kimberly rated it liked it
I found the second half of the book the most helpful, and that was about publishing. It helped me greatly. But I didn't find the first part of it (which was how to write in a limited span of time) helpful. It's a helpful guide when it comes to publishing, but if you're looking for a book that helps you how to write, look elsewhere.
Fredrick Danysh
Dec 31, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Bird discusses factors involved in the writing process and getting a book published. He also addresses the mechanics giving examples and learning exercises on the techniques of writing.
Ted
Ted rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Grayson
Grayson rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2010
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Cynthia Luhrs
Cynthia Luhrs rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
David Roberts
David Roberts rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Rowan Stanley
Rowan Stanley rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
Heather Mize
Heather Mize rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2011
Ibraheem Hamdi
Ibraheem Hamdi rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Belochka
Belochka rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Diane Dreher
Diane Dreher rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Christopher Lamb
Christopher Lamb rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2011
Swati
Swati rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Loraine
Loraine rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
NormaCenva
NormaCenva rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Betty Hafner
Betty Hafner rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
David Katzman
David Katzman marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2009
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2009
Zac
Zac is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2010
Brady
Brady marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2010
Scycer
Scycer added it
Sep 30, 2011
Dara
Dara is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2012
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2012
Mikhaela Georgette
Mikhaela Georgette is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2013
Soulfinity
Soulfinity marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Michelle Nesbit
Michelle Nesbit marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Amber Bartle
Amber Bartle marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Brad
Brad added it
Jul 08, 2013
Peter
Peter added it
Feb 20, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Emma
Emma added it
Sep 17, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014