Start by marking “B is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone, #2)” as Want to Read:
B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)

B is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  34,704 Ratings  ·  1,196 Reviews
Although business has been slow lately for P.I. Kinsey Millhone, she's reluctant to take on the case of locating Beverly Danziger's sister Elaine Boldt. It's a small matter that Beverly should be able to handle herself. So why is she enlisting Kinsey's services? Beverly claims she needs Elaine's signature on some documents so that she can collect a small inheritance. But t ...more
Published November 29th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published May 15th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about B is for Burglar, please sign up.

David Of course, as a composer, Mingus definitely PLAYED piano and he released an album in '63 titled "Charles Mingus Plays Piano". No casual listener to…moreOf course, as a composer, Mingus definitely PLAYED piano and he released an album in '63 titled "Charles Mingus Plays Piano". No casual listener to bebop would describe him as a jazz pianist, but I guess we can't get TOO frustrated with Grafton and her editors... maybe a LITTLE head scratching is warranted, though.

I'm glad you noticed this, I was listening on audiobook and I was apparently not listening particularly attentively, because stuff like that can drive me nuts while I try to enjoy a book.(less)
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
515 books — 1,168 voters
Everyone Burns by John DolanDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha ChristieThe Liquidator by Iain ParkeAppointment with Death by Agatha Christie
Death in a Warm Climate
219 books — 94 voters

More lists with this book...

Phrynne
Oct 25, 2016 Phrynne rated it liked it
I listened to this one on Audio and am not sure whether that affected how much I enjoyed the book. The narrator chose to read Kinsey as a very brisk, managing type of person and I felt she did not really do her justice.
Nevertheless I enjoyed the story with its twists and turns and surprises. The ending was neat and not idealistic - like real life! I would have liked to give this three and a half stars and will certainly be carrying on with the series.
Ed
Dec 20, 2009 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd wanted to read A, Ms. Grafton's debut title in the series, but only B was on the library shelf. But then B shows Kinsey in her full profile and element. She cuts her own hair. She uses the washer for her hamper. She jogs. She eats junk food. In short, a very likeable PI protagonist. I've also liked her wry wit a few books ago. Sue Grafton's PI is my comfort read. She's always been reliable for delivering a sturdy tale which is just the something I often crave. I'll go on devouring the alphab ...more
Jim
Another interesting mystery solved by Kinsey. It's a shame she's turned into such a damn fool by Grafton at the end. Just like the first one, I really liked everything up until she winds up confronting the bad guy. Then Grafton feeds her an idiot pill & ties one hand behind her back just to make sure there is a big suspenseful ending. Is this a trademark of the series? With only 2 books listened to, it seems unfair to pass judgement yet, but a third might just finish me.

I like Kinsey & t
Robert
Kinsey Millhone might have her iconic status entrenched about as well as Sue Grafton has hers, and the series has kept me just interested enough to continue through to O, but I’ll need to take periodic breaths in between, or I might find myself gasping for air as the clock strikes E. Who knows? I might make it all the way to G before I pass out, but there’s the distinct possibility I’ll turn blue sooner rather than later.

Like a female version of James Bond, she has her good points, and she has h
Algernon
Jun 18, 2012 Algernon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I'm not entirely comfortable with the Goodreads star system. All through school I was judged on a 10 points scale, and a 6 was a very low grade, just a step above the barely passed examination (5). On that scale Sue Grafton is a comfortable 8 - intelligent, intriguing, elegant. But I have read better mysteries and I suspect in a year or two I will scratch my head and wonder what was this book about?

The one thing that will remain for sure is the main character - Kinsey Millhone - private investig
Wendy
Dec 13, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
B is for Burglar

I've had this series of books on my book shelf for years now and I really don't know what took me so long to start reading them. To be honest I'm lucky in a way because I now have a whole lot of books to read. What a great start to this series, I love Kinsey and I can't wait to see what other cases she has to get in to.
Deborah Markus
This book is due back at the library and I'm cranky because of all the construction noise right outside my window. It started really early, and they're hammering with what sounds like Mjolnir. Also trimming trees with chainsaws. And there are trucks. Lots and lots of trucks.

So anyway. I like the Kinsey Millhone mysteries because they're a brain-break from my usual heavy-duty research mode of living.

This may sound like faint praise indeed, but I think what I like most about them is that the stor
Book Concierge
Book on CD performed by Mary Peiffer

Book two in the mystery series featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone of Santa Teresa, California. Beverly Danziger is expensively dressed and much more nervous than she should be considering her problem. She needs to find her sister to get some papers signed. Kinsey figures this will be fairly routine, so she takes the job. But a trip to Boca Raton, Florida only raises more questions about the missing woman, and Mrs Danziger is upset when Kinsey sugge
Ace
Jan 31, 2016 Ace rated it liked it
The formula has been set, Kinsey will continue solving cases, sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong and mulling things out in her head along the way. She's got quite a dry sense of humor and is a bit brave too. With this one I couldn't quite work out the mystery myself but let's face it, I'm not alone in saying that I would never have guessed the murder weapon!!
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Here we go again! In the second book of the Kinsey Millhone alphabet mysteries, Kinsey is once again on the move. This time she is flying back between Florida and California to search for a woman by the name of Elaine Boldt. Her sister is looking for her to sign some papers that require immediate attention. However, Kinsey discovers that there might be some other events that may be connected to Elaine’s disappearances as well.

As you can guess by the title, the book does involve some burglaries
Fiona
Dec 18, 2016 Fiona rated it really liked it
Another pacey whodunit from Sue Grafton. This time Kinsey is on the trail of a missing woman with lots of twists and turns and false leads along the way. It was written in 1985 and it reminded me how much easier communication is now than it was then. No looking around for phone books, change for the phone, a phone booth. Portable communication whenever we need it, as long as there's a signal. I've just started but I know I'm going to enjoy this series.

PS In the list of acknowledgements is a won
Teresa
I finished the second book in this series this week, but, my surge protector fried. I prefer typing reviews on a computer compared to the teeny keypad on my phone. Am back in business again.

I enjoyed this second mystery, but not quite as much as the first. I lost steam in the middle. I still found it entertaining and did not guess who had committed the murder. I'm enjoying "getting to know" Kinsey Millhone and keep thinking of my mother-in-law each time I read one of these.

This mystery begins
June Ahern
Dec 29, 2008 June Ahern rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed Sue Grafton's series of Kinsey Millhone, female sleuth, for many years. Some of the mysteries are easier to read, staying with the one main theme while others can be confusing with too many stories going on at one time. Dead bodies do occur although usually not as brutally as in other contemporary novels and this is a fun treat compared the very graphic reads (not that I'm overly squeamish when it comes to blood & guts.) Grafton has a fun, quick moving style of writing that keep ...more
Stephanie Lorée
Jul 28, 2010 Stephanie Lorée rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, mystery
I'm not entirely sure what happened with 'B' is for Burglar, but I found it very hard to get into the story. The characters were still there, quirky and interesting as ever, and Grafton's narrative descriptions still struck me as unique and engrossing, but I just couldn't find myself caring about the plot. It wasn't a murder mystery I could sit around guessing at, thereby provoking my interest as the pieces were revealed. Instead, the ending came from left field and accusations that were previou ...more
Aida
Jan 30, 2016 Aida rated it it was ok
(Some spoilers) 2.5⭐'S.
Read the series this year as part of book club challenge. Was not too enthusiastic about the first book, 'A', as the writing and story/plot development was amateurish. The writing seems to be getting better however, someone really should tell Ms. Grafton her "nonessential filler' does not an interesting book make. I feel setting description is essential to a story line; there are clues that could attribute to the entire story. However, is it really necessary to add descri
Shannon
Feb 21, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
This is the second book in this *series* and I hope Ms. Grafton makes up her mind which way the series is going to go. There are several times when this book reiterates information from the first book, such as describing Kinsey or the town where she lives, thus allowing this to be a stand alone book. There are other times however, when she references the crime from book #1 (A is for Alibi) but doesn't give alot of details, assuming that the reader has started there and made the logical progressi ...more
Christine (KizzieReads)
Really good story that had me hooked and didn't stop until the last page. I did not see the ending at all which makes for a really good suspense novel. I will definitely continue with this series.
Rishi Prakash
Apr 16, 2017 Rishi Prakash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My quest for fast read continues to pay after the 1 month slow death i had with one of the book! This is also a perfect fill when one is looking for fast and furious genre!

The set-up and the timing is another plus here. I loved reading the way things unfold in an era of basic technology. No cell phones, no internet, no google!! Too much fun. And so much more personal. The detective is sharp and her eye for details really makes even a small description real interesting.

Go for it when you really
T.B. Markinson
Apr 16, 2017 T.B. Markinson rated it really liked it
An entertaining mystery.
Lisa
Nov 01, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I waited quite a while for this one from the public library because I had thoroughly enjoyed the first one and couldn't wait to dive into this one. I managed to read it in just two sittings over about a 30 hour period. Let me tell you, this series has effectively dragged me out of an awful several month long reading slump.

So we come upon our friend, Kinsey Millhone once again. And once again she finds herself in a situation that somewhat makes the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. I lo
Nov 19, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sue Grafton fans
Shelves: kindle, mystery
I hope that these books get better. I may just have to give up on them. This book wasn't so much bad as it was pointless and boring, at least to me. I didn't care about anyone in this book, at all. No one grabbed my attention, and the mystery was just so-so.

Kinsey (the main character) is really weird to me. I feel like we are supposed to think she is this cool,quirky, bad ass but she comes across to me pretty much the opposite. She is unnecessarily rude to people, she seems weirdly oblivious at
Mika Stevens
Dec 03, 2009 Mika Stevens rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
**Truthfully, this should be 4 1/2 stars**

Kinsey Millhone is back at it, putting her wits and skill on the line to solve her latest case. I think that B is for Burglar is a stronger story than A is for Alibis was, however, both are good, solid stories with a wonderful private investigator at the lead.

I have mixed emotions about coming into this series so late. Having been originally published in 1985, when I was a whole 11 years old, there are a lot of things that you just don't see in mystery n
Megan Durrett Toll
Aug 23, 2012 Megan Durrett Toll rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I hate to say it, I'm eating my words from my first review. Kinsey is not so relatable. She is not just a loner, but a judgmental, self-contradictory, depth-lacking character. She takes a negative tone to everyone she meets and calls them fat, old, too beautiful, anal or there is something wrong with everyone she meets, it's a skewed way to view life. She is terrified for getting in trouble with CFI, yet she was celebrating over that fact that she almost took a life. She has no depth because her ...more
Dee Cherry
Oct 22, 2015 Dee Cherry rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This second book in the Alphabet series was a good read. Kinsey's determination to hang on through the hard times & violence made this an interesting read. Although I'm reading this story many years after its original publication, I can say I enjoyed it as if was recently written. As I plan to read each book in this series, B is for Burglar was a satisfying read & I'm looking forward to reading the next letter.
Cecily Kyle
May 04, 2016 Cecily Kyle rated it really liked it
Shelves: wobble
Great second book to the series!

I found myself really enjoying this book because I really love Kinsey's characters, her sense of humor, and her drive to get things done has me chuckling at times and really wanting her to figure everything out. This story was a lot better than I originally expected it would be which I should have never doubted because Sue Grafton is quite good at her craft.
I look forward to continuing the series :)
Becky
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this next book in the series, I really like Kinsey. I did figure out "who done it", well before the end of the book, but I liked how it all tied together.
Elly Wendy
Nov 05, 2016 Elly Wendy rated it liked it
3* Lots of fun. I like this author.
Mariel Zani Begoña
3.5 stars. A pretty solid crime novel

3.5 estrellas. Un policial bastante sólido
Darren
Aug 06, 2015 Darren rated it it was amazing
It was a good book. It was full of action/adventure. I enjoyed reading it.
Robert McCready
Mar 15, 2017 Robert McCready rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine novel. I think that there is a good balance of description and rehashing of evidence in the exposition. Kinsey jogs a few times, which is nice to read. She doesn't drink her coffee black in this one--she adds milk. She drinks it a couple of times. Grafton throws in a couple of gay and lesbian characters, which must've been a nice touch in the 80's during the AIDS epidemic. I'm glad this whole series stays in the age of big hair and neon orange pumps. It's fun!
Hiding part of a review for spoilers? 6 102 Dec 19, 2016 06:21PM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: B is for Burglar 1 1 Aug 14, 2016 07:54PM
The Women's Myste...: B is for Burglar 6 33 Nov 26, 2012 02:12AM
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
  • Ask the Cards a Question
  • The Last Suppers (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #4)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe  (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)

“Personally, I'd rather grow old alone than in the company of anyone I've met so far. I don't experience myself as lonely, incomplete, or unfulfilled, but I don't talk about that much. It seems to piss people off--especially men. (Kinsey Millhone)” 37 likes
“Insecure people have a special sensitivity for anything that finally confirms their own low opinion of themselves.” 21 likes