3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  34,557 ratings  ·  281 reviews
"Emotional Intelligence 2.0 succinctly explains how to deal with emotions creatively and employ our intelligence in a beneficial way."
--THE DALAI LAMA

For the first time ever in a book, TalentSmart's revolutionary program helps people identify their EQ skills, build these skills into strengths, and enjoy consistent performance in the pursuit of important life objectives. Th...more
Published June 16th 2009 by TalentSmart (first published January 28th 2003)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 05, 2014
    --THE DALAI LAMA…more
    Giveaway dates: Aug 19 - Aug 21, 2014
    1 copy available, 173 people requesting
    Countries available: US, CA, and GB more
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Intelligence 2.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Intelligence 2.0

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by Jim CollinsGetting Things Done by David Allen
    Best Business Books
    7th out of 358 books — 699 voters
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettA Dance with Dragons by George R.R. MartinDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
    What's the Book You Can't Wait to Read This Summer?
    161st out of 3,749 books — 7,190 voters

More lists with this book...

June
    This is the first applied emotional intelligence book that I am reading. It has its pros (clarity and simplicity of content) and some cons (excessive self-promotion).

Cons
    1. Open the book and you are hit with several pages of endorsements from well-known people. Hard to miss the Dalai Lama's one as it is the first.

Further on, particularly towards the end of the book, it's evident that the authors could have practised some self-restraint in mentioning their company- the name-dropping is excessiv...more
    Tanya
    This is a textbook example of how not to write a scientific book. Admittedly, the book never claims to be scientific but it supposedly concerns emotional intelligence - a psychological concept - and its effects on our daily lives. Yet there's not a single experiment mentioned.

My favorite parts were:

"Here’s how it works: everything you see, smell, hear, taste and touch travels through your body in the form of electric signals. These signals pass from cell to cell until they reach their ultimate d...more
    Suzanne
    Jul 21, 2011 Suzanne rated it 2 of 5 stars
    Recommended to Suzanne by: CareerTrack Seminar
    Shelves: self-help
    I see that I'm a dissenting opinion with 2 stars but I expected a lot more from this book. I was very excited to learn about the concept of Emotional Intelligence as I'm a confessed 'smart person who has trouble holding back on emotions.' I see the logic of EI and firmly believe it is very important for career success. Maybe my expectations were too high?

I bought the book and took the test on-line. I was brutally honest and not surprisingly didn't score so high. I went to the sections of the bo...more
    Longfellow

If you want it to be, this book can be a quick 250 pages of helpful tips. It will probably be more useful, though, read over a few days or even a few weeks, allowing time to practice some of these recommendations or reflect on them with thought or in writing.

A few years ago, a counselor recommended the book Ten Days to Self-Esteem. I worked through its content enough to conclude its operating theory was that how one thinks controls how one feels. While I discovered this approach could yield some...more
    Joe
    Overall, not a bad book. For each of the four parts of emotional intelligence, the authors list several techniques for improving that particular trait. Thankfully, and unlike most books of this type, the techniques are short and sweet. There is nothing worse than reading a 400 page book with only 50 pages of interesting information and 350 pages of anecdotal fluff about Floyd from Wisconsin and how he changed his life with the book's techniques. There's none of that here. There is the occasional...more
    Avolyn Fisher
    After I took the emotional intelligence test and recieved my score, I was a little upset that I was merely average in my score. I would like to think I'm above average, but don't we all? One of my professors last semester opened class with the statement "Most if not everyone in this room thinks they are above average, I'm sorry but you are not."

Low and behold there was hope, the coping strategies and techniques provided in this book to help you work on your area of weakness.

While reading the exa...more
    Laurie
    I really wish I had read this book in high school and better yet had a course in it. It would have saved me a lot of grief. As a society, we need to teach children how to deal with emotions. I wish I had not taken it out of the library because the code in the back only works for one person. So, I was not able to take the EQ (Emotional Intelligence)test. I may need to buy the book.

I loved it all, but I have picked out my favorite parts of each section:

Self Awareness Strategies:

1. Ask others for f...more
    Keith Kendall
    I put off reading this book because there were other books that I marked to read before it. Once I started reading it, it was a quick interesting read, and I was glad that I moved it ahead of other books in the queue.

Some of the strategies in the four sections of the book felt like they were closely related.

I look forward to working on increasing my EQ by using the assessment test to determine where I need to focus my efforts and applying the relevant strategies from the 66 strategies listed i...more
    Loy Machedo

Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry & Jean Greaves

Just think about this.

You have a recommendation from The Dalai Lama, Newsweek, The Washington Post, Newsday, Ken Blanchard and Marshall Goldsmith. And then to top it all, you have a foreword by (Ouch!) Patrick Lencioni himself!

Now do you need any other reason to be convinced why you should buy this book?

Wait! Don’t.

Before you decide to purchase this book, read the rest and only then decide.

Review in a nu...more
    Tabasco
    Ridiculous and shallow to the point of being offensive. Goleman's first book on emotional intelligence was good. This one is crap.
    The online test is a joke. The questions are so dependent on the way you see yourself and your behaviour, that even an emotional idiot could come up with a very high QE if that's how he sees himself!
    Sarah Sack
    I found this book laying around my mom's room and I thought it looked interesting, so I picked it up. I agree with it, that emotional intelligence plays a huge role in our lives. I've picked up a lot of tips that are going to help me when I'm older and working. I'm glad I read it!
    الميلين
    كتاب رائع اشتمل على حقائق بيولوجيه ف التركيبة البشريه تثبت ان اساس السعاده الانسانيه هو الذكاء العاطفي والوجداني لدى الشخص ..وبقدر ضئالة هذه الخصلة بقدر تعرض الانسن لمتاعب بحياته ليس الزوجيهفقط بل شتى نواحي الحياة
    Vengat
    EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE 2.0

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 starts off with an anecdote of a surfer escaping from the hands of a shark. He uses his EQ to wriggle out of the crisis, as per the Authors. The authors go on to differentiate between IQ and EQ. According to them a person high on EQ and average on IQ has a better chance of succeeding in life. This is when compared to a person low in EQ and high in IQ.
    Then there is a psychographic inventory which the reader has to take called ‘Emotional Intelli...more
    Everest
    The Book Report of Emotional Intelligence 2.0

Unlike other books written by con-artists, which was stuffed with all kinds vomiting stories, this book, however, to some degree, validated and theorized my weird way of thinking, soul-inspecting and self-management of all time.
    It legalized the time when I stroll down on campus, with my ear seamlessly cuped by my enormously huge headphone, simultaneously, wandering about in the maze of mind. In sensitive and transient time like puberty and college li...more
    Kara
    Your EQ (emotional intelligence quotient), as this book details, is incredibly important--it has shown to be a better indicator of success in business than intelligence. According to this book, EQ can be divided into four categories: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.

I was hoping that this book would be a great EQ primer, and I decided to follow along with its instructions to get the full benefit of the book.

Step 1: Take an EQ test to see where you ar...more
    Rachel Blom
    Emotional intelligence (EQ) is about effective communication between the rational and emotional centers of the brain. Everything you experience via your senses, must travel via your limbic system (where your emotions are experienced to the front of your brain where you think rationally. Emotional intelligence is your ability to recognize and understand emotions in yourself and others, and then use this awareness to manage your behavior and relationships.

In a very short introduction the theories...more
    Jan 26, 2013 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
    Shelves: psych
    This book explains that there are 4 areas of emotional intelligence: self awareness, self management, social awareness and relationship management. It describes a person who's good in one skill and a person who's bad at that skill for each. Then It goes on to list ten or so traits for each which you can practice to strengthen your skills in that area. The examples were all pretty simplistic. One example for self management was to count to ten before reacting when you're upset. I liked how straig...more
    James
    First of all, I think the major selling point of this book is that it comes with a free password to an online emotional intelligence test. It then gives you strategies to improve your score in the various areas that you may like to raise your EQ in. I read the library copy so did not have a chance to take the test (which made the first few chapters incredibly boring).

Still there is some helpful strategies in here that people may use to good effect. Most of it seems common sense, but that is wha...more
    Amy
    I listened to the audio version of this book.

I really hoped for some depth and insight, but I think the point of this book is really to take the test, and the book is just a collection of thoughts about the test results.

I think emotional intelligence is fascinating, and I'm very curious, but this book didn't answer many questions. It had a lot of short real-life success/failure stories, which were interesting, and it made a strong case for the importance of emotional intelligence, but there just...more
    Scottfoley
    Here's a genre with which I struggle a bit. I'm a firm believer that nonfiction can approach the same literary merit as fiction, and both can succumb to the same pitfalls. I enjoy some of the information in many of these management/creativity titles, but frequently encounter writing styles that provide too much of a hurdle for me. I recognize that books like Emotional Intelligence 2.0 aren't intended to be enjoyed for their literary value, but my own brain is so wired in that direction that it c...more
    Chantal
    I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. When I read the synopsis I thought it might be an interesting read so I entered the draw. Much to my surprise, a few days later an e-mail was waiting for me in my inbox telling me I was one of the winner. I had absolutely no expectations with this book.The fact that it was a non-fiction, self-help type of book was pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves is more of a step-by-step prog...more
    Max Evans
    I think this will be a good book. It doesn't add a lot of information to the field of Emotional Intelligence for me but what it does do is give some guidance in how the reader can increase their Emotional Intelligence or EQ as it's called.

The book lays out four areas where you can increase your EQ. I find this interesting once again. A few years ago I went to a training meeting offered by the group that I worked for. In that meeting they said that people had been dividing people into different g...more
    Cinderella Mabaso
    This is a remarkable book, emotions are a part of our genetic makeup, but mastering control over them is what we are never taught but have to experience them, learn how to adjust or accept to continue with the momentum of life & If you believe in personal growth then this book is a must read to improve your EQ & having Emotional intelligence is one of the fundamentals roots that builds a solid character.
    Allison

Overall I found this book full of useful skills to be used in the work place. Examples are given throughout the book to further understand each tactic and the explanations of each aspect of EQ are clear and concise. I would recommend this book to everyone, even though some ideas seem to be "common sense" they may be overlooked or not focused on enough of the time.
    Amy
    I"ve never read a self-help book before, but Devin asked me to read this for him because he was supposed to, but didn't want to. So, of course I did. It was interesting, and parts I thought were silly, but maybe that's just the way these books are. I would recommend it to anyone looking to improve their life in general, not just in the workplace.
    Appears to have a good toolset for improving EQ. I haven't taken the online test yet, so I haven't chosen an aspect to focus on. The book does a good job of describing the behaviors to evaluate someone (or yourself) on EQ. I especially liked the "What X looks like" segments. I liked the book well enough to recommend for our management team.
    Shane Lynch
    I was very disappointed in the depth of the test. It literally takes 3 minutes. How can a test know an accurate reading of my EQ from such a vague assessment. BUT... I think the information offered to help each section is very useful and applicable to anyone looking to improve skills.
    Haley Keller
    This review is a bit hard to write as I don't really know how to judge this book. It's definitely easy to read, and it presents its information in an easy to understand way. It also does a very good job of explaining why emotional intelligence is so important and should be worked on.

The only downside to the book as far as I'm concerned is that its suggestions for improving your emotional intelligence were so broad that for many of them I didn't even know where to start. There were also so many s...more
    Albihany Aden
    One of the best books i ever read , if you wanna understand yourself more and understand the people around you , You better think about this book .
    Don
    I've been reading articles and listening to speakers about emotional intelligence for a while. Even introduced it within a training for supervisors on how to interview. I thought I had better read Emotional Intelligence 2.0.

The book comes with the pass code to take the online EQ test. Which I did. Which I was disappointed in...because my score was lower than I thought it should be. Then I read the book and realized I did ok and that there were just areas to practice.

The four areas that make up...more
    Which Strategies are you working on? 1 83 Dec 26, 2009 08:55AM
    • Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High
    • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
    • StrengthsFinder 2.0
    • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
    • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
    Dr. Travis Bradberry is the award-winning author of the #1 best selling book, Emotional Intelligence 2.0, and the cofounder of TalentSmart®⎯a consultancy that serves more than 75% of Fortune 500 companies and is the world’s leading provider of emotional intelligence tests and training.

His bestselling books have been translated into 25 languages and are available in more than 150 countries. Dr. Bra...more
    More about Travis Bradberry...
    The Personality Code: Unlock the Secret to Understanding Your Boss, Your Colleagues, Your Friends...and Yourself! Cryonic: A Zombie Novel The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book: Everything You Need to Know to Put Your EQ to Work Leadership 2.0 Self-Awareness: The Hidden Driver of Success and Satisfaction

“Emotional intelligence is your ability to recognize and understand emotions in yourself and others, and your ability to use this awareness to manage your behavior and relationships.” 4 likes
    “The link between EQ and earnings is so direct that every point increase in EQ adds $1,300 to an annual salary.” 1 likes