Start by marking “Diet Myths That Keep Us Fat: And the 101 Truths That Will Save Your Waistline--and Maybe Even Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Get the real skinny on fat.

When it comes to losing weight, the false beliefs most of us cling to could fill a book–this one! As a medical doctor, medical journalist, and veteran of the diet wars, Nancy L. Snyderman knows better than almost anyone what really works and what sabotages your best efforts to shed pounds and keep them off. Do you believe any of these prevalent d
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Diet Myths That Keep Us Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diet Myths That Keep Us Fat

Tressa
Fad-free, common sense approach to eating healthy and "dieting" without depriving yourself of the good things in life.
Robin
Jul 24, 2009 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like to read topical non-fiction
This is a good book that helps to remind me about good habits to get into and stay with!
Christine Theberge Rafal
3 whole pages about Shape Up Somerville, including calling the mayor a "health nut" (p.141)! That project embraced the view, also in this book, that your weight is not your fault, which we recognize as obvious when we focus on children but I think we don't always extend the same charity to adults.

I guess I've read so many diet/nutrition books that not much sounded new in this one. But then again maybe not much is new when our bodies/metabolism evolve over thousands of years. I felt like this boo
Harkinna
Due to come out this month, I found this book at our favorite book store. (I am so excited about this! Our book store often has books that are sent to book reviewers before they come out. These book reviewers are over run by books and donate them to our book store. This is the first one I am reviewing before the book comes out. It comes out on Monday, so ok, not that early, but anyway...)

The author is the Chief Medical Editor at NBC News. Does anyone have faith in the news with respect to medici
Tracy
I think I'm obsessed with reading diet/health books. And not because I'm trying to find the secret "easy" answer to health and weight management -- more because I like to keep this topic at the forefront of my brain so I don't let myself use the (non)excuse of "I didn't know" or "I forgot."

Anyway, I love Dr. Nancy Snyderman from the Today Show, so I thought I'd check this new book of hers out. It's not ground breaking. It's not things I didn't know. But it's always good to reiterate what good ha
Deb
*Myths, Truths, and Choices*

One-by-one, Nancy tackles the ten "diet myths" that seem to be feeding the increasing obesity trends:
1.Your Weight Is Your Fault
7.Dieting Is All You Need to Lose Weight
8.Supplements Will Make You Thin and Healthy
9.Low-Fat Diets Are a Waste of Time
10.You Can't Keep Weight Off

Each myth is, more or less, debunked in a chapter, and each chapt
Ladiibbug
Non-Fiction - Weight Loss/Healthy Eating

Dr. Nancy Snyderman is Medical Editor of NBC and MSNBC.

The main points in her book are summed up on page 5:

"In spite of all the conflicting information [about various diets:] the tried and true still holds: Load up on real foods like fruit, vegetables and whole grains; practice portion control; and exercise regularly. It couldn't be simpler. And because it's so simple, people find it really boring. But these actions are the only safe and stable ways to lo
LadyS
First step: Go to the table of contents, read what this book has to offer. Select the chapter that is of interest, read and move on. You don't need to waste time with redundant information or something that is not applicable to you. That is how I advice people when it concerns a self-help book.
Heather
Rounding up from 2.5.

There really wasn't anything new here. She takes a low-fat approach to dieting, which honestly, has not really ever worked for me. She advises lots of fruits, vegetables, and exercise. I don't think there's really any debate over those. I think some of the information is already outdated, especially around fats. From the title, I think I was looking for more of a myth busters sort of style, but this is really just another diet book, and not a terribly compelling one.
Andrea
This is by far one of the most meaningful books I have read in a long time. I really enjoyed the information as well as the style the information was presented in. I suggest this book to anyone who is interesting in adopting a diet that is low-fat, low calorie, but still has room for cabs and treats. It follows the basic theories of calories in, calories out, simple as that. It also gives a lot of information on where to use your carb and fat percentages. After a couple of people read it and had ...more
Kaye
Not much new information, and I truthfully couldn't sift through all the text. However, the fun little information boxes were easy to read.
Jenny
Not aimed at me, aimed at people who yo-yo diet, who try the latest diet fad, and take supplements. Not much new info - except that pear shapes won't decrease thigh size through cycling - another reason to avoiding spinning classes. Quite readable. Never heard of her before. Good & basic info about dieting, maintaining weight, exercise, and food.
Kristin
I enjoyed the tone, but felt it didn't say anything I hadn't read about dieting. I think she does make good points about taking time for yourself, eating better foods & getting in a healthy mindset. Dr. Snyderman has a good outlook on life, & that I enjoyed.
Beth Gordon
This was a worthwhile read. Basically the author advocates a low fat diet between 1,200 - 1,500 calories. Nothing fancy, no low carb, no high protein. There are truth boxes on many pages that explain health phenomena in more detail.
Linda
Actually, the content is a little boring but I did learn a lot and was
reminded a lot of how to eat balanced, so it was good. Sometimes, it's
necessary to remind oneself that a lifestyle of bagels and muffins
doesn't really do it!!
Lisaannhomic
Read through it in one day. Very practical. I agree with everything she says except on the chapter about supplements. Everyone should be taking whole food supplements whether you are are at your ideal weight or still working on it.
Tamara Evans
This was an okay book but it really didn't tell me anything new in regards to changing my diet. The author did do a good job in adding examples from her life to illustrate the reasoning behind the why certain deit myths are true or false.
Adara
Repetitious about telling you what is obvious: If you eat healthy and exercise, there's a good chance you can lose some weight!

Some interesting little factoids made it somewhat worth my time.
C
Good tips. Very simple to flip through, read a piece, compute and move on. Some good personal anecdotes as well. I like those examples. They're always encouraging.
Megan
Interesting facts...I have followed the diet at the end of the book for about two weeks. So far I feel better and I lost a little weight.
Michelle
Very likeable writing style. A lot of this info was common sense. I really liked the 30-day menu ideas in the back.
Jonelle
The book is easy to read and factual. However, there just not a whole lot of new information here.
Stacy
Oct 23, 2009 Stacy marked it as books-i-lost-interest-in
This was pretty interesting, but I just lost interest after a while.
Nilly
Nilly marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Ajay
Ajay marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Toni
Toni added it
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Medical Myths That Can Kill You: And the 101 Truths That Will Save, Extend, and Improve Your Life Girl in the Mirror: Mothers and Daughters in the Years of Adolescence Necessary Journeys: Letting Ourselves Learn From Life Dr. Nancy Snyderman's Guide To Good Health: What Every Forty Plus Woman Should Know About Her Changing Body Live a Little!: Breaking the Rules Won't Break Your Health