Start by marking “ePistols at Dawn” as Want to Read:
ePistols at Dawn

ePistols at Dawn

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,096 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Choose your weapons.

Jae-sun Fields is pissed. Someone has taken the seminal coming-out, coming-of-age novel Doorways and satirized it. He's determined to use his Internet skills and his job as a tabloid reporter to out the author as the fraud and no-talent hack he's sure she is.

Kelly Kendall likes his anonymity and, except for his houseboy, factotum and all-around slut, Wi
Published July 7th 2009 by Samhain Publishing

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsFish & Chips by Abigail RouxPromises by Marie Sexton
The Best of Gay Romance
225th out of 2,249 books — 2,318 voters
I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderCut & Run by Abigail RouxSno Ho by Ethan DayTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
The Best Humorous Gay Romances
65th out of 383 books — 935 voters

More lists with this book...

EXHIBIT A
dazed and confused.

i'm kinda baffled, here.

i don't understand how the same person can have written the kind of elegant, restrained characterization that left me cooing like a pigeon on three separate occasions and the sort of wildly OTT plotting that featured (view spoiler)

i don't get it.

and the
Lauraadriana
For some reason I’m not completely sure of, I had not yet read ePistols at Dawn by Z.A. Maxfield. Not only am I a HUGE fan of her books, but I happen to LOVE epistolary stories. There are few things I find more charming than a story of two people getting to know each other at a distance. The excitment of getting a new email or letter. Reading i, and uncovering new things you didn’t know about the other person. I’ve always had a soft spot for a story like that. This story had charm to spare, and ...more
Shayne
I was glad to see that Kelly has just as much of a hair fetish as I do! I really loved this book. It was slow to start, but it soon picked up momentum, and it became hard to walk away from!

4.5 to 5 stars
Emma Sea
This is the most satisfying m/m romance I've read in ages, and I only stumbled upon it because it was cheap! It was the length that made it so good. Sometimes an m/m romance is like a miniature chocolate truffle; down the hatch so quickly that it's nothing more than a delicious silken bite, and I'm left wanting another, and another. I mean, some of these titles coming out can be read in half an hour.

ePistols at dawn was a plateful of dessert that required a knife and spoon. Because of the length
Elisa Rolle
I'm too old and it's too much time I'm around. Or maybe it's only that I read too much. Z.A. Maxfiled wrote a parody about a man who wrote a parody... I think I'm able to recognize to whom Z.A. Maxfield identifies herself in the novel, enough to say it's not the writer (too simple), and I recognized who was the writer she is paying homage to.

The story is actually a comedy of errors: Jae is a literary critic working for an LGBT Magazine, The Adversary (quite clear reference to The Advocate...);
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
I had a difficult time with this story. It just kind of moved along slowly with nothing very gripping happening. I really enjoyed Kelly in the beginning when he was by himself or with the wonderful Will. However, when he connected with Jae, his whole demeanor changed. I had a difficult time connecting with the characters.

Will was the most interesting character in this story. He was funny, sweet and sexy, with a shady back story that we only caught glimpses of.

There were a few funny lines that m
Kassa
This is a decent book with a good idea that unfortunately fails to deliver that solid emotionally punch I seem to constantly be looking for from this author. Since I know ZA Maxfield is capable of stunning emotional/angst work, I’m somewhat surprised that with the wealth of possibilities and potential latent in this book, it fails to deliver on that scope. It is still a good book with two fabulous characters (not the main couple unfortunately) and shines with some wonderful scenes that highlight ...more
ElaineY
Jul 19, 2009 ElaineY rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
I'm not sure if I liked Jae over Yamane. Probably the latter but not for any significant reason. Just that I didn't have to go googling for a face to put to Yamane's character, being totally clueless about Korean men until I read this book.

If anything, E-Pistols made me realize there are Koreans of mixed parentage, too. I tend to think only of the Vietnam War and the kids left behind, not the Korean War (way too far up north from us). Same style and feel as the other book and it felt like I was
Lee Brazil
Things I didn't like about this book- the title & the cover.

Seriously. That's why I didn't buy it sooner.

Kind of glad I didn't, because I really needed this kind of absorbing read right now. Great story all the way around. Characters were interesting, plot was fun, and intense. Oh- it was sexy, too.

One little niggle...was I the only one left wondering if Will had a little more to do with a certain actor's outing than he let on?

JenMcJ
This book started off really slow again (like Drawn Together) but picked up and soared once it hit its stride.

As usual with ZAM, there is a lot of humor and wit that always make me smile, grin, giggle or laught out loud. I also teared up at points.

There are some great lines in this book. I wish I had marked them so I could quote some of them.
Lily
Jae-sun Fields, a reporter for a tabloid, is determined to discover who has written a book satirizing his favorite novel Doorways. He is convinced the author is a woman masquerading as a gay man and that they need to be exposed as a fraud for messing with his beloved book.

“No way a gay man is going to send up Doorways.” Jae shook his head. “It’s…like…the holy grail of coming-out novels. Catcher in the Rye for those of us not destined to be homicidal assholes.”

Going undercover as a fangirl Jae st
LutaWolf
As you can see, the reviews are mixed. I think that's because there are some things in here that could be debated over and over and if you don't agree with ZA Maxfield then yeah you probably didn't like this book as much as you would have had her openions agreed with you.

Hey I've been on goodreads long enough to know that we are a highly openionated group and there are those that will have an epileptic fit when asked to just agree to disagree. I can just imagain that this book was infuriating f
Kaje Harper
This is a fun read with an unusual character in the person of Kelly, a romance hero who is middle-aged and hampered by OCD and phobias. Jae Fields is a reporter who tries to track down both the author of his favorite coming of age story and the woman he is convinced is guilty of satirizing it. Z.A. Maxfield gets credit for one of the best sex-gone-wrong episodes I've read, as her heroes try to get together. The presence of a supportive friend-with-benefits was also somewhat novel (as opposed to ...more
Matimate
I read quite a lot nice reviews of this book and it sounded like promising gay novel so I bought it. The idea about making parody of parody sounded promising and the plot like good idea. Perhaps it was but too much was too much. Why Pedobear followers must be everywhere?
Very valued author of gay novels decided to overcame his OCD and general crazy behavior and wrote parody of hyper super successful book under different pen name. Oh what the great idea which provoked certain tabloid very gay and
leigh

This story was kind of all over the place for me. The basic conflict—investigative reporter versus reclusive author—was sound enough, but the execution was oddly distracted and diluted. First, the scandalous truth that Jae was determined to reveal to the world was the idea that the author of a satirical erotica piece about gay men was—gasp!—a woman. Even if this had turned out to be the case, it’s hard to imagine that even the readership of a politically inclined gay magazine would care much. If
Carissa
“He was a reporter for The Adversary. It was his job to stalk people. He was one step above paparazzi and a couple below common variety garden snake."

Jae was beyond pissed. There were few things sacred to him, and some crazy woman had just taken his holy book and created a mocking homage to it. Doorways helped turn him into the man he was. Windows was going to burn on the front page of his newspaper, The Adversary, along with the imposter who wrote it.
"Were you aware, when you got me into this m
Tara
Hmm. I don't really know what to say about this book. It's not my favorite ZAM book. I didn't feel like I ever connected with the characters and at one point I actually found myself finding household chores to do rather than read, which is a bad sign.

I think it was just that it started to get repetitive for me after starting out promising. After the initial set up I looked at how much was left and wondered how it was going to take some many pages to play out and now I know. It was pretty much- c
Hannah
This was a strange novel. I couldn't tell whether to take it seriously and read deeper meanings into Z.A. Maxfield's themes and characterizations, or whether to simply enjoy it as an amusing but predictable time-waster. I think Maxfield was shooting for both impressions simultaneously, hence the strangeness.

The novel features a reclusive writer, Kelly, who once wrote a book that defined the experiences of a generation of gay teens. Kelly is a basket case of anxiety and OCD, so he spends almost
L-D
I enjoyed this book by ZAM and thought the premise was pretty interesting. Jae-Sun is a gay journalist whose favorite book is a coming of age book written by a gay author. He attributes this book to helping him accept his homosexuality and to come out. Years later, another author satirizes his favorite book and he's angry at the disrespect that is shown. What Jae doesn't know is that the satirist is the original author himself. As Jae investigates this story for his tabloid, and he learns more d ...more
Natasha
If you like a lot of melodrama, cheesy one-liners, eye-rolling moments, stupid character decisions, characters acting like children, and just an overall dull story, this book might be for you!

There were a few exciting moments, but in general I couldn't care less about any of the characters. It's kind of disappointing for me since I recall reading another of Maxfield's books that really struck some cords with me and I adore that book, but that book is definitely miles away from this book for me.
Rebecca
I read this book bc a friend recommended it. It starts off painfully bad. There's a lot of info dump. For example, I think we're blatantly told multiple times what each character needs (bc we couldn't possibly figure it out for ourselves) before we're even told what the characters look like. The book does get better, although I personally found the secondary character (Will) a more intriguing character than either protagonist. At least this book didnt annoy me as much as Drawn Together did, but ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This is one of my favorites from this author. I really enjoyed the whole story - beginning to end. There was so much to Kelly's various identities that needed to be explored. I loved his relationship with his houseboy, Will. (view spoiler)

During the initial buildup of the story, before Jae and Kelly actually met, I felt that the story was moving very slowly and I just want
Gail
I enjoyed this book, though I'm not sure what the title has to do with the story. Maybe because one hero wrote a book about coming out as gay, then parodied it as a sexy romance, and the other hero was outraged that someone desecrated a book he viewed as holy writ. The second hero--who is a very large 3/4 Korean-American--is determined to expose the parodist, who he thinks is a woman and thus a fraud. He meets the hero, who's been hiding as the author of both books, and they start to fall for ea ...more
ePistols at Dawn started with a hiss and a roar. Quick and cleverly written with witty dialog and characters that had me laughing my ass off, it was snarky and funny and then kinda fell flat for me in the 2nd half. Which I guess was a little disappointing as the 1st half read SOOOOO beautifully. Like blindingly clever!! Nice characters and loved the long hair. Just wanted more in the ending I think.
Nene
I didn't seem to connect as much with this story as I have with maxfield's others, but I still enjoyed it. Kelly was an interesting character, full of foibles, and Jae was someone I'd like to meet. It was Will, however, that stole my heart. I want one of him just for me.
A.K.M. Miles
THis one, oh my. This was great. Greatly in depth on characterization and so complex. Interesting and funny and sad and sweet and everything that makes a wonderful read. ZAM never fails.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Would have been five stars but i didn't like the end
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
"When he'd written Doorways, he never could have guessed how many of them a man went through in an average lifetime."

I do not know why this book does not have a higher rating. It was phenomenal. It was immersive, it was intelligent, it was heartfelt, it was crushing; it transcended a single story or a single point in time, and really drives one of the themes of the book home: equality.

What drew me to this book was the fact that the relationship between Jae and Kelly began over the internet thro
Katharina
Oh, wow, let me try and recap the story line: (it's not too spoilery, but I'll put it in tags anyway for anyone a bit more on the sensitive side)

(view spoiler)
Liz Blue
Really enjoyed it. Maxfield has such a light hand with plot and character--events trip along quickly, I suspend all disbelief, and even tertiary characters feel rounded. I think her greatest skill is in the slow buildup of sexual tension--which she manages to maintain even after the characters start having sex.

I really, really liked both Kelly and Jae. I *loved* Will. Does he have his own book? Is he getting one? He reminds me of Cat from The Windflower--secondary character who is just as memora
  • Life, Over Easy (Fragments, #1)
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
  • Bad Case of Loving You
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Alternative Treatment
  • Lies and Consequences
  • Making Promises (Promises, #2)
  • Beyond the Norm
Crossing Borders (Crossing Borders, #1) St. Nacho's (St. Nacho's #1) Drawn Together The Long Way Home Physical Therapy (St. Nacho's #2)

- Jae-Sun Fields, pg. 28”
8 likes