Start by marking “Head First Data Analysis: A Learner's Guide to Big Numbers, Statistics, and Good Decisions” as Want to Read:

Head First Data Analysis: A Learner's Guide to Big Numbers, Statistics, and Good Decisions (Head First Series)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Today, interpreting data is a critical decision-making factor for businesses and organizations. If your job requires you to manage and analyze all kinds of data, turn to Head First Data Analysis, where you'll quickly learn how to collect and organize data, sort the distractions from the truth, find meaningful patterns, draw conclusions, predict the future, and present your ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Head First Data Analysis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First Data Analysis

Franco Arda
Oct 03, 2011 Franco Arda rated it it was amazing
I wish I had this book during my MBA.

Rather then another praise for this great Head First book, some really good topics in this book:

Chapter 2: TEST YOUR THEORIES
How to use the method of comparison and make them explicit.

Chapter 5: HYPOTHESIS TESTING
Falsification vs. satisficing. Falsification as the heart of hypothesis testing.

Chapter 6: BAYESIAN STATISTICS
Ah, the problem with the first base: I've never seen a better explanation of the Bayes' rule.

Chapter 7: SUBJECTIVE PROBABILITIES
The subject
Jean-Luc
A while ago, I read an article that said statistician is the hottest growing field, so I picked up this book.

And I don't remember even one thing from this book, other than it used a mix of Excel and R to get the job done. The lack of memory says more about me than about the book. I'll have to pick it up again and re-read it. This is just a placeholder.
Jerzy
Feb 25, 2016 Jerzy rated it really liked it
Shelves: statistics, teaching
[Not read, just skimmed.]
I skimmed this as a statistician looking for ideas on how to teach Stats 101. This is not purely stats---maybe more like Data Science, since it also includes (very useful) things like optimization and databases.
It seems to cover the most important stats concepts without going deep into details of p-values and such.
I'm not sure about the silly pictures and word bubbles or contrived examples, but I *love* that designing experiments is already in the 2nd chapter, after a 1s
Daniel
Mar 16, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
This book covers a wide range of topics with a good balance of depth and non-academic scenarios. It will not make the reader a mathematician but it will certainly introduce them to a variety of data analysis tools.
Renanreismartins
Apr 19, 2015 Renanreismartins rated it it was ok
I could not finish this book, it is kind of boring and tedious, so I stopped at page 272. I was expecting more "math" explanations, but the book is more conceptual and really superficial.
zedoul
Mar 24, 2014 zedoul rated it it was ok
Do not get fooled about the star I had given to it. This is not a bad book, it is just matter of quality it pursues. This is quite good book with regards to its aim - newbies who would like to understand what happens in data analysis, and eventually forget it after reading. Because the book is more than glorified version of help documents, and less than a academic, hard to read books as it used to be. I mean the book is not recommendable to whom seriously want to study it, with statistical basis ...more
Terry
Feb 03, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it
Decent book. Some typos, but not unrecoverable to get at what is needed. Some presumption of MS Excel knowledge. A bit dated, since MS forces you to use the StatPlus package, no longer offering the Data Analysis add-on. It will definitely be a jump-off point to diving into more Stats and Analysis work. R seems powerful and the one great example at the end of the book showed me some great hotness graphically. It is a good workout.
Gaurav Mathur
Dec 31, 2015 Gaurav Mathur rated it it was ok
Very slow, very dumbed down.
The case approach is good, but they can give it a better pace. Gave this up twice out of sheer boredom, but finally completed.

Also, had many obvious errors.

Some parts might useful for an ABSOLUTE beginner to Data Analysis.
A lot of advanced topics were mentioned which were not dealt in-depth.

My only takeaway - it got me started with R.
Eric Wallace
Nov 25, 2012 Eric Wallace rated it liked it
Much more simplistic than I was expecting, as it merely grazes a few basic concepts. I was hoping for more content on statistics and using the R software, but I'll have to seek that elsewhere. Nevertheless, the Head First series of books are easy to read (and occasionally mildly amusing too), so this was a breeze.
Christian Brumm
Apr 02, 2011 Christian Brumm rated it really liked it
Shelves: machine-learning
Gute Einfuehrung in die Datenanalyse im gewohnten "heads first" format (Gehirnfreundlich und unserioes :)). Auf Verstaendnis einiger grundlegender Konzepte (e.g. Regression, Bayes) und minimale Einfuehrung in einige Tools (R, Datenbanken) ausgerichtet. Netter Ueberblick, natuerlich nicht allzuviel Tiefe.
Mattias
Jan 17, 2013 Mattias rated it really liked it
Very basic stuff, but a really good starting point for people wanting to learn about data analysis in general. Accessible, but still deals with a host of important issues in a good way. You don't come by that often in this particular domain of knowledge.
Isk
Apr 23, 2010 Isk rated it really liked it
Super basic, so I didn't really learn anything *new*, but I guess I got a better idea of what analysts are actually supposed to do.
I also liked the idea of the presentation, though a lot of it looks kinda tacky.
Noelle
Apr 23, 2013 Noelle rated it liked it
Hard to get into this if you don't have some time dedicated to reading and going through the exercises. Good examples and use cases!
Hayyu Alynda
Mar 29, 2011 Hayyu Alynda rated it liked it
Bagus dan cara penyajiannya sangat menarik tapi isinya banyak yang diulang-ulang. Penting buat basic knowledge data analysis.
Paul_yamamoto
Jun 27, 2011 Paul_yamamoto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ちょうど、他プロジェクトが多忙だったところなので、
このぐらいの簡単な本がちょうど良かったです。

簡単だけど、非常に重要な本だと思いました。

こう云う本が中学の数学の教科書だったら、
日本の数学嫌いがもっと減るのに、、、と思いました。
Kevin Powe
May 30, 2011 Kevin Powe rated it it was amazing
Great primer on data analysis with a perfect mix of theoretical and practical, as always for the Head First range.
Pascal
Jul 19, 2010 Pascal rated it liked it
Shelves: development
Not a bad introduction to data analysis, a little on the basic side, not sure how much will translate to actual work.
Harit Himanshu
Nov 28, 2012 Harit Himanshu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: data
This book is really good.

This has changed the way I look at numbers, entirely. very much recommended!
Pawan
Jul 11, 2010 Pawan rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical, general
A good book to understand the basic of data analysis...
Tommy Powell
A good introduction, but... a mile wide and an inch deep.
Thomas Plotkowiak
May 10, 2011 Thomas Plotkowiak rated it really liked it
A nice read although a bit too easy...
Khaled Issa
Khaled Issa marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Conrad Mba
Conrad Mba marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jenna VW
Jenna VW rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Robert Mcmanus
Robert Mcmanus rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Golden Chiponda
Golden Chiponda marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
A Rajnish
A Rajnish marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Anton
Anton rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
  • Head First PHP & MySQL
  • Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World
  • Statistics in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Head First Web Design
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Probability Theory: The Logic of Science
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Grace Hopper and the Invention of the Information Age (Lemelson Center Studies in Invention and Innovation series)
  • Programming the Semantic Web
  • SQL Antipatterns
  • Head First Python
  • 97 Things Every Project Manager Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Programming Android: Java Programming for the New Generation of Mobile Devices
  • Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry