Start by marking “Head First Data Analysis: A Learner's Guide to Big Numbers, Statistics, and Good Decisions” as Want to Read:

Head First Data Analysis: A Learner's Guide to Big Numbers, Statistics, and Good Decisions (Head First Series)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Today, interpreting data is a critical decision-making factor for businesses and organizations. If your job requires you to manage and analyze all kinds of data, turn to Head First Data Analysis, where you'll quickly learn how to collect and organize data, sort the distractions from the truth, find meaningful patterns, draw conclusions, predict the future, and present your ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Head First Data Analysis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First Data Analysis

Franco Arda
I wish I had this book during my MBA.

Rather then another praise for this great Head First book, some really good topics in this book:

Chapter 2: TEST YOUR THEORIES
How to use the method of comparison and make them explicit.

Chapter 5: HYPOTHESIS TESTING
Falsification vs. satisficing. Falsification as the heart of hypothesis testing.

Chapter 6: BAYESIAN STATISTICS
Ah, the problem with the first base: I've never seen a better explanation of the Bayes' rule.

Chapter 7: SUBJECTIVE PROBABILITIES
The subject
Jean-Luc
A while ago, I read an article that said statistician is the hottest growing field, so I picked up this book.

And I don't remember even one thing from this book, other than it used a mix of Excel and R to get the job done. The lack of memory says more about me than about the book. I'll have to pick it up again and re-read it. This is just a placeholder.
Daniel
This book covers a wide range of topics with a good balance of depth and non-academic scenarios. It will not make the reader a mathematician but it will certainly introduce them to a variety of data analysis tools.
zedoul
Do not get fooled about the star I had given to it. This is not a bad book, it is just matter of quality it pursues. This is quite good book with regards to its aim - newbies who would like to understand what happens in data analysis, and eventually forget it after reading. Because the book is more than glorified version of help documents, and less than a academic, hard to read books as it used to be. I mean the book is not recommendable to whom seriously want to study it, with statistical basis ...more
Hans de Zwart
The "Head First" series has a refreshing ambition: to create books that help people learn. They try to do this by following a set of evidence-based learning principles. Things like repetition, visual information and practice are all incorporated into the book. This good introduction to data analysis, in the end only scratches the surface and was a bit too simplistic for my taste. I liked the refreshers around hypothesis testing, solver optimisation in Excel, simple linear regression, cleaning up ...more
Terry
Decent book. Some typos, but not unrecoverable to get at what is needed. Some presumption of MS Excel knowledge. A bit dated, since MS forces you to use the StatPlus package, no longer offering the Data Analysis add-on. It will definitely be a jump-off point to diving into more Stats and Analysis work. R seems powerful and the one great example at the end of the book showed me some great hotness graphically. It is a good workout.
Eric Wallace
Much more simplistic than I was expecting, as it merely grazes a few basic concepts. I was hoping for more content on statistics and using the R software, but I'll have to seek that elsewhere. Nevertheless, the Head First series of books are easy to read (and occasionally mildly amusing too), so this was a breeze.
Christian Brumm
Gute Einfuehrung in die Datenanalyse im gewohnten "heads first" format (Gehirnfreundlich und unserioes :)). Auf Verstaendnis einiger grundlegender Konzepte (e.g. Regression, Bayes) und minimale Einfuehrung in einige Tools (R, Datenbanken) ausgerichtet. Netter Ueberblick, natuerlich nicht allzuviel Tiefe.
Mattias
Very basic stuff, but a really good starting point for people wanting to learn about data analysis in general. Accessible, but still deals with a host of important issues in a good way. You don't come by that often in this particular domain of knowledge.
Isk
Super basic, so I didn't really learn anything *new*, but I guess I got a better idea of what analysts are actually supposed to do.
I also liked the idea of the presentation, though a lot of it looks kinda tacky.
Noelle
Hard to get into this if you don't have some time dedicated to reading and going through the exercises. Good examples and use cases!
Hayyu Alynda
Bagus dan cara penyajiannya sangat menarik tapi isinya banyak yang diulang-ulang. Penting buat basic knowledge data analysis.
Paul_yamamoto
ちょうど、他プロジェクトが多忙だったところなので、
このぐらいの簡単な本がちょうど良かったです。

簡単だけど、非常に重要な本だと思いました。

こう云う本が中学の数学の教科書だったら、
日本の数学嫌いがもっと減るのに、、、と思いました。
Kevin Powe
Great primer on data analysis with a perfect mix of theoretical and practical, as always for the Head First range.
Pascal
Not a bad introduction to data analysis, a little on the basic side, not sure how much will translate to actual work.
Harit Himanshu
This book is really good.

This has changed the way I look at numbers, entirely. very much recommended!
Pawan
A good book to understand the basic of data analysis...
Tommy Powell
A good introduction, but... a mile wide and an inch deep.
Thomas Plotkowiak
A nice read although a bit too easy...
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Nissim
Nissim marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Jean Ventura
Jean Ventura marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2015
Jan Van Ryswyck
Jan Van Ryswyck marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Meg
Meg is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2015
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2015
Hugo Menezes
Hugo Menezes marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Head First Statistics
  • Head First Software Development
  • Data Analysis with Open Source Tools
  • Head First PMP
  • Data Mining Techniques: For Marketing, Sales, and Customer Relationship Management
  • Grace Hopper and the Invention of the Information Age (Lemelson Center Studies in Invention and Innovation series)
  • Head First PHP & MySQL
  • Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World
  • Statistics in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Programming the Semantic Web
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Programming Android: Java Programming for the New Generation of Mobile Devices
  • Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques (Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems)
  • R Cookbook
  • Machine Learning for Hackers
  • SQL Antipatterns
  • Head First Web Design

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry
  • Head First Web Design
  • Head First C#
  • Head First Ajax
  • Head First PHP & MySQL
Head First Excel: A learner's guide to spreadsheets Finding a Vision for Your Church: Assembly Required Sacred Assembly: 15 Biblical Steps to Renew Your Church Lost Civilizations Nursing Ethics: Core Values