Start by marking “An Evening at Alfie's” as Want to Read:
An Evening at Alfie's

An Evening at Alfie's

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Mom and Dad have gone out for the night, leaving Maureen MacNally to look after Alfie and Annie Rose. Everything is quiet until water starts dripping from the ceiling! With a little help from Mr. and Mrs. MacNally, the leak is soon under control, but only Alfie can figure out why Annie Rose is still upset.
Published September 1st 2009 by Red Fox (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about An Evening at Alfie's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Evening at Alfie's

Emma
My two year old loves all Alfie.
Alison
Mar 26, 2013 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An evening at Alfie’s tells the story of a leak and the chaos it causes when Alfie and Annie-Rose’s parents head out for the night and are looked after by Mrs MacNally’s daughter Maureen. The description of the dripping falling onto the landing was a great part of the story that the children wanted to engage with and got the children discussing the sounds they hear when they are around water. The illustrations are extremely detailed and the children were eager to discuss the more intricate detai ...more
Bambini Travel
Nov 13, 2013 Bambini Travel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shirley Hughes is one of those delightful authors that seems to just get children. Her books are like curling up with a little piece of your childhood, especially if you were fortunate like I was to be introduced to her work as a child. We are currently in the middle of a Shirley Hughes Author Study in our home and as we read a growing number of her books, this remains my favorite. AN EVENING AT ALFIE'S starts as a typical babysitting experience. Alfie's parents go to the a party and their neigh ...more
Kristine Hansen
Sep 12, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An evening with the babysistter has a little too much excitement with a leaky pipe and a crying sister. Love the detail on the illustrations and the way it feels like you're part of the family while reading the book, like you're part of it too.
Shanna Gonzalez
May 21, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-04-08
Alfie's parents are out for the evening, and Maureen, a teenaged babysitter, is in charge when a pipe bursts. She brings her parents over. All of the characters demonstrate admirable qualities: Maureen demonstrates respect for her parents and humility in asking for help, and her parents show love of neighbor as they exert tremendous effort to stop the water, clean up the mess, and care for the children. Following the climactic turning of the water main, Alfie turns from the excitement of the wat ...more
Zoe
Sep 18, 2014 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-children
I have rated this one slightly higher than the other Alfie books that I have read, because it is my daughter's favourite :-)
Naleni Persaud
Jul 02, 2013 Naleni Persaud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All is quiet at Alfie's house - Mum and Dad have gone out and Maureen's baby-sitting. Then . . . drip, drip, drip. It's raining inside! The drip turns into a downpour and Maureen's parents have to come round to deal with the burst pipe, but only Alfie can work out what's worrying Annie Rose. . . .

This story is a wonderfully warm celebration of brothers and sisters (and babysitters!).

I read this book many times when I was in primary school. It is a nice story to be read to reception as this is th
Finny
Feb 23, 2011 Finny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy says: Initially Finny refused to let me read this book to him. I believe it was "too babyish" or he didn't like the illustrations. However, I told him the roof leaked in the story, and I asked if we could read a little bit to see what happened. He consented and ended up listening to the whole thing.
Sharon
Dec 14, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only a child would respond to a broken water main by floating his toy boats in it...
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book is about water getting in the house of a boy named Alfie. A.
Nikki Jackson
Nikki Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Robynn
Robynn added it
Jun 10, 2016
Daliabalz
Daliabalz rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Apr 16, 2016
Tobi Grantham
Tobi Grantham rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Jacqueline Medley
Jacqueline Medley rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Amber Lund
Amber Lund rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Meagan
Meagan rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Stephen Morris
Stephen Morris marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Jo
Jo added it
Mar 31, 2016
4cats
4cats added it
Jan 16, 2016
Clare Hollowell
Clare Hollowell rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Shirley Hughes is the illustrator of more than two hundred children’s books and has won many prestigious awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal twice. She is the author-illustrator of DON'T WANT TO GO! and OLLY AND ME 1 2 3. She lives in London.
More about Shirley Hughes...