Start by marking “What to Cook When You Think There's Nothing in the House to Eat: More Than 175 Easy Recipes and Meal Ideas” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
If you like to eat well but don't relish the thought of going to the supermarket on a rainy Sunday afternoon or are too tired to shop after work, this is the cookbook for you. "What to Cook When You Think There's Nothing in the House to Eat" puts your pantry to work, showing you how pasta, beans, canned tuna, eggs, and cheese can form the basis of nutritious, tasty, and ea ...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1992)

Be the first to ask a question about What to Cook When You Think There's Nothing in the House to Eat

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Glad I only paid 50 cents for this because I don't feel it's worth the full cover price. After the introduction, each chapter is an alphabetical listing of standard pantry ingredients. Each ingredient is given a short history along with storage tips. This part was interesting. Then it gave several recipes using that ingredient. Most recipes I wouldn't cook so won't keep this book as a reference cookbook.
Kai Sousa
Best basic cook book ever! It has never once failed me.
Sandra
This book is fun to read just to read. Being a someone who loves to cook, I have never been so ill provisioned that I had naught but peanut butter and spaghetti to make dinner out of, but some of the 'bare pantry' recipes in this book are interesting enough to try them even if you have a house full of ingredients. I enjoyed it enough to read it more than once and have bought copies for other foodie friends that can enjoy the humor without needing it to be a cooking classic.
Nita
Excellent book to teach the basics of cooking, storing ingredients, and stocking the pantry. Good gift for newlyweds and college bound kids. This book is how I learned to cook.
Cindy
Aug 17, 2008 Cindy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning cooks
Shelves: cookbooks
I used this a lot more when I was just married. Now with 3 kids in the house, I am more organized. Recommended for beginners or non-cooks.
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Tom And
Tom And marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Julie Lapolito
Julie Lapolito marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Smiley Dips
Smiley Dips marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Autumn
Autumn added it
Apr 08, 2014
Brandy
Brandy added it
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking: Yiddish Recipes Revisited Naples at Table : Cooking in Campania Arthur Schwartz's New York City Food: An Opinionated History and More Than 100 Legendary Recipes The Southern Italian Table: Authentic Tastes from Traditional Kitchens Soup Suppers: More Than 100 Main-Course Soups and 40 Accompaniments