Start by marking “Snow White: A Survival Story” as Want to Read:
Snow White: A Survival Story

Snow White: A Survival Story

"Essence"-bestselling author Anna J. shows readers the highs and lows of drug addiction and the effects it has on the American family, in this harrowing tale about a child who is forced to make an adult decision.
Published October 1st 2009 by Urban Books

To ask other readers questions about Snow White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow White

Alexandrea Ward
Sep 20, 2013 Alexandrea Ward rated it really liked it
I don't know if I was disappointed with the ending or just shocked that things ended so abruptly. I really hope that there's a sequel to this one because I was rooting for Journey from the beginning, and even more for her and Khalid to make it up out of that neighborhood and to make something of themselves. From her creepy uncle Vince who had no love for her whatsoever to juggling school and all her extracurricular activities, Journey was definitely dealt a tough hand in life and I was rooting f ...more
Lesa Divine)
Oct 04, 2009 Lesa Divine) rated it liked it
Shelves: read-it, i-own
Ok I am going to start off by saying I like Anna J's books she's a great author but, not so into this book as I thought. I thought it was going to be great with a A plus plus to it but, it was a somewhat ok. Wont knock to story line at all. I like that it was mostly done in a childs point of view of things starting at 9 Journey was doing things I wouldn't ever thought of a child ever doing at her age.

Her mom was a crackhead dying for AIDS so she was mainly been taken care of by her crazy uncle V
Jan 05, 2013 Alexis rated it really liked it
I kept seeing this book in my view "books you might like", "books recommended for you" etc, and I finally decided to read it. It was exactly what I thought it would be... another depressing grimmey a*s fu*ked up story about a little girl from the hood, but on the other hand, it was still interesting and grabbed my attention. I guess I really am a sucker for books like these and I either loved or hated it. This one, I loved though. I liked how the author split the book into two parts, and as it t ...more
Aug 26, 2011 Guppy rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! Best book up 2 date... This is a must read... i hope it didnt end the way it did and theres a part 2!! had this book hidden in my closet 4 agess dunno wat took me soo long to read it in the first place... had me hooked from the first page neva read a book so fast finished in 3 hours... Anna J if eva u come asross this comment you neeeed 2 gt out a 2nd part....Journey went thru soo much in her life she deserved a happily ever after wit Khalid...
Dee Cherry
Jan 04, 2015 Dee Cherry rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, urban
This story, Snow White, by Anna J. took a look into the disturbing life of Journey- a young girl who was growing up in a totally dysfunctional household. In addition to going to school, Journey was faced with the task of "caring" for her physically ill bedridden mother as well as her demented minded uncle, Vince. There were times I wondered how Journey was even able to concentrate on school. There were a couple of positive people in Journey's life. It enlightened me to see Khalid, her classmate ...more
Danita Brown
Feb 12, 2014 Danita Brown rated it it was amazing
OMG! That was good as he'll and sad all at the same time. I was hoping Journey would have a happy ending, but we all know that it can't b like that all the time. I am glad Vince got his though. I hope.
Jan 29, 2014 Whitney rated it really liked it
this book spoke real life sitations that some people face from my city to yours. its a gritty and grimey story but also sad..
This survival story is of nine year old Journey Clayton. Not only is her mother bedridden with AIDS, but is also addicted to what the streets call Snow White. In constant fear of her mother dying and ultimately being placed in the foster care system, small Journey does whatever she has to do to prolong their survival. Her father's brother, Uncle Vince, is the only other family that Journey has. He keeps food in the house, clothes on her back, and stops by every few days with her mother's twice d ...more
Sep 02, 2013 Tea rated it it was ok
An extremely sad story. The writing was pretty intense, but well done. I read it through to the end but in my opinion, it wasn't worth the time it took to read it. And a survival story!???!
So what was that ending about? Not that the title is supposed to divulge everything, but I was hoping a stronger person would be the outcome instead of the ending that was given. Furthermore, if I wanted to be depressed by the end of a book, I could pick up a newspaper.
Not my cup of tea.
Danee' Davis
Sep 24, 2013 Danee' Davis rated it really liked it
It was a good book but it felt like it should be more. Why did the shoot at Journey & Khalid. Did they die? Why wasnt Joey answering his phone? Who called the police on Bunz? So many unanswered questions.
May 15, 2013 Shanaya rated it really liked it
i liked the storyline but even with urban fiction and hood romances there are certain things that i cant stand to read and a nine yr old going down on her uncle is one of them sorry not for me
Shanell Banks
Feb 10, 2016 Shanell Banks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unanswered questions

Please tell me there is a sequel to this story because there are too many unanswered questions.

I was taken in immediately, but I have unresolved questions.

While there is a lot of drama unfolding in this sad sordid tale, my heart ached for Journey and I was certainly rooting for her to make it out the hood.

She and Khalid, but did they?

I am left wondering who, what, when and why?
rochelle pettrie
May 21, 2015 rochelle pettrie rated it it was amazing
This story is about a young girl trying to survive in a world of betrayal all on her own feeling like she had to do what she had to do in order to save her dying mother without the guidance and hope from family, the things her family taught her and exposed her too at such a young age was sad, pissed me off and was freakin unbelievable, she finally found hope, this is definitely a must read cause this little girl is a survivor
Black Carrie
Oct 30, 2015 Black Carrie rated it it was amazing
This book is another classic of mines ,Journey has been through so much in her young life as I read this book I always found myself saying "damn no one deserves a life like this". This book was so good yet sad , yet realistic & I think it was the Urban version of "Romeo & Juliet" Journey had a hard life & I was so happy when she met Khalid , because she needed someone to bring happiness in her life. This book literally made me cry chapter after chapter. Man I really hope that there's ...more
Shaveta Brock
Jan 19, 2015 Shaveta Brock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I really enjoyed this book. I really felt for Journey and I really wish things had of gotten better for her. The only thing that kept this from a 5 star rating was because how it ended. I didn't really understand why did it end that way.
Yvette Waite
Dec 13, 2014 Yvette Waite rated it it was amazing
At first I didn't think I could finish this book due to the sex abuse in the beginning. But I got pass it and finished the book which was very good but damn I hate cliff hangers! I hope there's a part two!
Oct 01, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
My heart went out to Journey & Khalad. They were innocent kids who got sucked into that live. Although they weren't selling it she was cooking it up for Vince & his dad sold it while his mom got hooked on it.
Mar 12, 2012 Vicki rated it it was ok
A sad, troubling, yet unforgetable story about the life of a young girl named Journey growing up in PA; how she manages to survive the streets with drugs and crime all around her, how she deals with her mother who is dying from a cocaine addiction (known as Snow White on the street) and AIDS, the sexual abuse she recieves from her drug dealing uncle and the love she feels for a boy named Khalad. Written for teens-youth, it was a difficult read for me simply because of the foul language and crime ...more
Keyshia Dorsey
Feb 11, 2015 Keyshia Dorsey rated it liked it the end did everyone die or???....
Eva Leger
Oct 27, 2009 Eva Leger rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anna J. readers
Recommended to Eva by: Wal-Mart
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
I think this may be my favorite Anna J. book so far. I loved the whole way she went about this story. It was almost like a YA book, with the main character starting out at nine years old but she went about it in an adult way I thought.
I wasn't sure what to expect and I'm still not understanding the front cover, which doesn't really have anything to do with the story because I doubt the woman on the cover is meant to be Journey, but the story itself is lacking for nothing.
Jun 20, 2010 Moe rated it liked it
I did like the story but it truly lacked somethings. The ending was terrible (unless there is gonna be a pt.2)! Other wise it truly leaves you hanging! You don't know what happened to a lot of the characters and certain things that were done to them, the book never told you who the culprit was!! if there is a pt.2 I suggest she release it fast cause I don't plan to purchase any further books from her unless I get some closure with this book!!!
Aug 13, 2011 Kellee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Urban Lit fans and TCP fans
This was a great read. From page 1, I didn't want to put it down, but I had to force myself to slow down so I could enjoy the book. There was never a dull moment. The end definitely left me hanging and I'm hoping there is a sequel. There was also one small part that wasn't elaborated on. All in all, I still thought it was a really good book.

2nd Time Reading: book still good, however I knocked it down to 3 stars & it's no longer a favorite.
Apr 28, 2010 Shanae rated it it was ok
The best part of this novel was the end of this novel. I didn't even read the first chapter of Anna J.'s next book. Talk about horrible. These were the worst characters I've ever read about. Moreover, I hate that the protagonist, Journey Clayton's life is told between the years of 9 & 14. The novel deals with heavy topics & I tried really hard to like this book but I just cannot. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Nov 03, 2009 Shana added it
Jul 22, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013, library
I have much to say about this book and I'm stuck between giving it 4 or 5 stars. Too tired to decide tonight. Will come back to it.
Lonna Stanford
Mar 03, 2011 Lonna Stanford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This book was and inspration to everyone that's going through a lot of hard times.
Feb 01, 2011 JazzyRacquel rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
I Really Liked This Book ! I Hated The Ending But Overall It Is A Great Read ! ...more
Apr 23, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
My ony complaint is the ending. I hope there is a part 2 in the works.
Nov 07, 2013 Mya rated it really liked it
love the story hate the ending felt like she was rushing it bad grammer
Natasha potts
Oct 24, 2013 Natasha potts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 4 stars great story but the ending had me lost
  • Amongst Thieves
  • Black Diamond
  • Back to the Hood (Flint, #5)
  • Keyshia and Clyde
  • Message from a Mistress
  • Ex-Girl to the Next Girl
  • Harlem On Lock
  • Never Say Never
  • Notorious (Notorious #2)
  • Twisted
  • A Woman Scorned
Anna J. is an erotica writer from Philly who also walks the run way in her spare time as a full-figured model. Co-author of Stories To Excite You: Menage Quad, Anna put her writing skills to the test in this hot collaboration that was released during the fall of 2004.
My Woman, His Wife is high on the charts and a good read for those that enjoy a steamy love affair with a little bit of drama to bo
More about Anna J....