Snow White: A Survival Story

Snow White: A Survival Story

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  32 reviews
"Essence"-bestselling author Anna J. shows readers the highs and lows of drug addiction and the effects it has on the American family, in this harrowing tale about a child who is forced to make an adult decision.
Published October 1st 2009 by Urban Books

Alexandrea Ward
I don't know if I was disappointed with the ending or just shocked that things ended so abruptly. I really hope that there's a sequel to this one because I was rooting for Journey from the beginning, and even more for her and Khalid to make it up out of that neighborhood and to make something of themselves. From her creepy uncle Vince who had no love for her whatsoever to juggling school and all her extracurricular activities, Journey was definitely dealt a tough hand in life and I was rooting f...more
Alexis
I kept seeing this book in my view "books you might like", "books recommended for you" etc, and I finally decided to read it. It was exactly what I thought it would be... another depressing grimmey a*s fu*ked up story about a little girl from the hood, but on the other hand, it was still interesting and grabbed my attention. I guess I really am a sucker for books like these and I either loved or hated it. This one, I loved though. I liked how the author split the book into two parts, and as it t...more
Guppy
OMG!!! Best book up 2 date... This is a must read... i hope it didnt end the way it did and theres a part 2!! had this book hidden in my closet 4 agess dunno wat took me soo long to read it in the first place... had me hooked from the first page neva read a book so fast finished in 3 hours... Anna J if eva u come asross this comment you neeeed 2 gt out a 2nd part....Journey went thru soo much in her life she deserved a happily ever after wit Khalid...
K.augustine
This survival story is of nine year old Journey Clayton. Not only is her mother bedridden with AIDS, but is also addicted to what the streets call Snow White. In constant fear of her mother dying and ultimately being placed in the foster care system, small Journey does whatever she has to do to prolong their survival. Her father's brother, Uncle Vince, is the only other family that Journey has. He keeps food in the house, clothes on her back, and stops by every few days with her mother's twice d...more
Lesa Jones
Ok I am going to start off by saying I like Anna J's books she's a great author but, not so into this book as I thought. I thought it was going to be great with a A plus plus to it but, it was a somewhat ok. Wont knock to story line at all. I like that it was mostly done in a childs point of view of things starting at 9 Journey was doing things I wouldn't ever thought of a child ever doing at her age.

Her mom was a crackhead dying for AIDS so she was mainly been taken care of by her crazy uncle V...more
Tea
An extremely sad story. The writing was pretty intense, but well done. I read it through to the end but in my opinion, it wasn't worth the time it took to read it. And a survival story!???!
So what was that ending about? Not that the title is supposed to divulge everything, but I was hoping a stronger person would be the outcome instead of the ending that was given. Furthermore, if I wanted to be depressed by the end of a book, I could pick up a newspaper.
Not my cup of tea.
Danita Brown
OMG! That was good as he'll and sad all at the same time. I was hoping Journey would have a happy ending, but we all know that it can't b like that all the time. I am glad Vince got his though. I hope.
Sherrall
This book is another classic of mines ,Journey has been through so much in her young life as I read this book I always found myself saying "damn no one deserves a life like this". This book was so good yet sad , yet realistic & I think it was the Urban version of "Romeo & Juliet" Journey had a hard life & I was so happy when she met Khalid , because she needed someone to bring happiness in her life. This book literally made me cry chapter after chapter. Man I really hope that there's...more
Whitney
this book spoke real life sitations that some people face from my city to yours. its a gritty and grimey story but also sad..
Danee' Davis
It was a good book but it felt like it should be more. Why did the shoot at Journey & Khalid. Did they die? Why wasnt Joey answering his phone? Who called the police on Bunz? So many unanswered questions.
Shanaya
i liked the storyline but even with urban fiction and hood romances there are certain things that i cant stand to read and a nine yr old going down on her uncle is one of them sorry not for me
Vicki
A sad, troubling, yet unforgetable story about the life of a young girl named Journey growing up in PA; how she manages to survive the streets with drugs and crime all around her, how she deals with her mother who is dying from a cocaine addiction (known as Snow White on the street) and AIDS, the sexual abuse she recieves from her drug dealing uncle and the love she feels for a boy named Khalad. Written for teens-youth, it was a difficult read for me simply because of the foul language and crime...more
Eva Leger
Oct 27, 2009 Eva Leger rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anna J. readers
Recommended to Eva by: Wal-Mart
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
I think this may be my favorite Anna J. book so far. I loved the whole way she went about this story. It was almost like a YA book, with the main character starting out at nine years old but she went about it in an adult way I thought.
I wasn't sure what to expect and I'm still not understanding the front cover, which doesn't really have anything to do with the story because I doubt the woman on the cover is meant to be Journey, but the story itself is lacking for nothing.
Moe
I did like the story but it truly lacked somethings. The ending was terrible (unless there is gonna be a pt.2)! Other wise it truly leaves you hanging! You don't know what happened to a lot of the characters and certain things that were done to them, the book never told you who the culprit was!! if there is a pt.2 I suggest she release it fast cause I don't plan to purchase any further books from her unless I get some closure with this book!!!
Kellee
Aug 13, 2011 Kellee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Urban Lit fans and TCP fans
This was a great read. From page 1, I didn't want to put it down, but I had to force myself to slow down so I could enjoy the book. There was never a dull moment. The end definitely left me hanging and I'm hoping there is a sequel. There was also one small part that wasn't elaborated on. All in all, I still thought it was a really good book.

2nd Time Reading: book still good, however I knocked it down to 3 stars & it's no longer a favorite.
Shanae
The best part of this novel was the end of this novel. I didn't even read the first chapter of Anna J.'s next book. Talk about horrible. These were the worst characters I've ever read about. Moreover, I hate that the protagonist, Journey Clayton's life is told between the years of 9 & 14. The novel deals with heavy topics & I tried really hard to like this book but I just cannot. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Shana
Nov 03, 2009 Shana added it
SNOW WHITE: A SURVIVAL STORY IS A GREAT READ! I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ALL OF MY FRIENDS. I DEFINITELY DIDNT EXPECT IT TO END THE WAY IT DID, I REALLY HOPE THERE WILL BE A PART 2!!!!
Angela
I have much to say about this book and I'm stuck between giving it 4 or 5 stars. Too tired to decide tonight. Will come back to it.
Lonna Stanford
This book was and inspration to everyone that's going through a lot of hard times.
JazzyRacquel
I Really Liked This Book ! I Hated The Ending But Overall It Is A Great Read ! ♥
Janet
My ony complaint is the ending. I hope there is a part 2 in the works.
Mya
love the story hate the ending felt like she was rushing it bad grammer
Natasha potts
I gave this book 4 stars great story but the ending had me lost
Stefany
I enjoyed this book but was disappointed how it ended.
Keisha Fertilyahoo.com
Exsquisite! A thrilling page turner!
Josephine Pompey
Good read ... Disliked the ending.
Shannon
raw gritty told like it is
Sandra
I love it.
S L
Jul 18, 2011 S L added it
GOOD, very deep.
  • Amongst Thieves (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • Shameless Hoodwives
  • Natural Born Hustler
  • A Sticky Situation
  • Superstar
  • The People Vs. Cashmere
  • Chyna Black (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • Diary of a Stalker
  • Stealing Candy
  • Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
  • Message from a Mistress
  • Still Sheisty (Sheisty series, #2)
Anna J. is an erotica writer from Philly who also walks the run way in her spare time as a full-figured model. Co-author of Stories To Excite You: Menage Quad, Anna put her writing skills to the test in this hot collaboration that was released during the fall of 2004.
My Woman, His Wife is high on the charts and a good read for those that enjoy a steamy love affair with a little bit of drama to bo...more
More about Anna J....