Start by marking “The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living” as Want to Read:
The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living
Preview

The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Follow these tenets of the Starving Artist’s lifestyle to create unique projects that prove that home décor, clothing, gifts, and accessories don’t have to be expensive to be spectacular. Whether you’re an artist or not—if you are brainstorming creative ways to make your pad look like a work of art, or if you are a crafty type looking for fun and original projects that don ...more
Published November 16th 2004 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about The Starving Artist's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Starving Artist's Way

Ali
This is a very strange book. When I opened it in the library, I opened to a page that appeared to show how to build a shelf, with very clear instructions. Ooh fun, projects! When I got it home, I found that was possibly the best project and it seems to involve screwing an old oven door to your wall so you can have a shelf that can be put up. It also has such 'awesome' projects as making felt from pet hair, creating a pressed board type product to make furniture from cereal boxes and glue, and st ...more
Mimi
I love some of the concepts in this book - great projects - but the thing that keeps me from giving it more than three stars is the lack of progress illustrations or sometimes any illustrations at all. As a crafter I'm a totally visual person. I can make just about anything simply by looking at the images. I DO love the addition of artist bios. It redeems the book almost entirely.
Jun 14, 2009 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: craft
If this book had beautiful photography, it would be so spectacular and a real keeper! I wasn't too impressed with the brown page border and drawings flipping through but I read the introduction and now most of the recipes, which are really fun and pretty healthy.

A book written by and for visual artists should be gorgeous!
viola
excessively cheap and witty guides to making just about anything.

make pierogi out of wonder bread.. or faux lace place mats out of hot glue...skin cleanser out of salad dressing..silk-screening tips.. and even a recipe for absinthe.

cook. decorate. craft. survive. entertain. creatively.
Mortalform
Truly a 3.5, but I rounded up for irreverence. Many spots of cleverness, splatterings of art reference; with some great, quick recipes (starving artist molé truffles rock my world). Interesting projects and concepts, a good starter Starving Artist manual to be consumed with DIY Punk.
refgoddess
A reasonable reduce/reuse/recycle book. Years ago I thought of writing this book, so I'm a little wistful that she did it instead. But, any inspiration to use creativity to live lightly on the earth is worth checking out.
alana (eHawk) rivera
some of this is pretty kitschy, but good ideas overall and a fun read. If you like a lot of diagrams and photos with your projects then this is not the art/craft project book for you.
Lillian
some interesting projects, but no photos of them- even b&w would have been great, just to get an idea of what. lots of cool references to movements, artists and techniques though.
Martina
Some really cool stuff in here....poverty living at its best! The recipes are great and I love all the options and non-judgmental advice you get.
Susan
May 14, 2009 Susan added it
Shelves: crafty
I wish there were pictures - I didn't have the patience to read each craft to decide if it was something I would want to try.
Randi
ohman!
i was seriously going to use the recipe to make homemade absinthe[minus wormwood] but i could never find angelica :[
Brielle Kennington
This book was very disappointing. There wasn't a single project in the whole book that I wanted to try.
Brooke Laura
This book has some fun ideas, but on some of the projects, the pics aren't very good.
Christine
Jan 27, 2010 Christine is currently reading it
I bought this on Amazon too and can not wait to get started!
Jillian
Witty, funny, cool. Some great ideas, recipes and advice.
Johanna
heck of a lot more helpful and fun than julia cameron's...
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Kristin Zueger
Kristin Zueger marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Lilliam
Lilliam marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Bliss
Bliss marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
  • Handmade Modern: Mid-Century Inspired Projects for Your Home
  • 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special
  • ReadyMade: How to Make [Almost] Everything: A Do-It-Yourself Primer
  • Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  • Apartment Therapy presents real homes, real people, hundreds of real design solutions
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  •  Cute Dolls
  • Real Simple: Solutions: Tricks, Wisdom, and Easy Ideas to Simplify Every Day
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)