Start by marking “The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living” as Want to Read:
The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living

The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  91 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Follow these tenets of the Starving Artist’s lifestyle to create unique projects that prove that home décor, clothing, gifts, and accessories don’t have to be expensive to be spectacular. Whether you’re an artist or not—if you are brainstorming creative ways to make your pad look like a work of art, or if you are a crafty type looking for fun and original projects that don ...more
Published November 16th 2004 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about The Starving Artist's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Starving Artist's Way

Ali
Dec 15, 2009 Ali rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, home-diy
This is a very strange book. When I opened it in the library, I opened to a page that appeared to show how to build a shelf, with very clear instructions. Ooh fun, projects! When I got it home, I found that was possibly the best project and it seems to involve screwing an old oven door to your wall so you can have a shelf that can be put up. It also has such 'awesome' projects as making felt from pet hair, creating a pressed board type product to make furniture from cereal boxes and glue, and st ...more
Mimi
Dec 26, 2012 Mimi rated it liked it
I love some of the concepts in this book - great projects - but the thing that keeps me from giving it more than three stars is the lack of progress illustrations or sometimes any illustrations at all. As a crafter I'm a totally visual person. I can make just about anything simply by looking at the images. I DO love the addition of artist bios. It redeems the book almost entirely.
Jun 14, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
If this book had beautiful photography, it would be so spectacular and a real keeper! I wasn't too impressed with the brown page border and drawings flipping through but I read the introduction and now most of the recipes, which are really fun and pretty healthy.

A book written by and for visual artists should be gorgeous!
viola
Oct 31, 2007 viola rated it really liked it
Shelves: erudite, own
excessively cheap and witty guides to making just about anything.

make pierogi out of wonder bread.. or faux lace place mats out of hot glue...skin cleanser out of salad dressing..silk-screening tips.. and even a recipe for absinthe.

cook. decorate. craft. survive. entertain. creatively.
Mortalform
Truly a 3.5, but I rounded up for irreverence. Many spots of cleverness, splatterings of art reference; with some great, quick recipes (starving artist molé truffles rock my world). Interesting projects and concepts, a good starter Starving Artist manual to be consumed with DIY Punk.
refgoddess
Apr 05, 2013 refgoddess rated it it was ok
Shelves: partly-read
A reasonable reduce/reuse/recycle book. Years ago I thought of writing this book, so I'm a little wistful that she did it instead. But, any inspiration to use creativity to live lightly on the earth is worth checking out.
eHawk rivera
May 07, 2012 eHawk rivera rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
some of this is pretty kitschy, but good ideas overall and a fun read. If you like a lot of diagrams and photos with your projects then this is not the art/craft project book for you.
Lillian
Aug 31, 2008 Lillian rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafts
some interesting projects, but no photos of them- even b&w would have been great, just to get an idea of what. lots of cool references to movements, artists and techniques though.
Martina
Oct 23, 2012 Martina rated it really liked it
Some really cool stuff in here....poverty living at its best! The recipes are great and I love all the options and non-judgmental advice you get.
Susan
May 14, 2009 Susan added it
Shelves: crafty
I wish there were pictures - I didn't have the patience to read each craft to decide if it was something I would want to try.
Randi
Jul 30, 2007 Randi rated it liked it
Shelves: pastreads
ohman!
i was seriously going to use the recipe to make homemade absinthe[minus wormwood] but i could never find angelica :[
Brielle Kennington
Jul 29, 2011 Brielle Kennington rated it did not like it
This book was very disappointing. There wasn't a single project in the whole book that I wanted to try.
Brooke Laura
Jan 22, 2008 Brooke Laura rated it really liked it
This book has some fun ideas, but on some of the projects, the pics aren't very good.
Christine
Jan 27, 2010 Christine is currently reading it
I bought this on Amazon too and can not wait to get started!
Jillian
Jul 14, 2010 Jillian rated it really liked it
Witty, funny, cool. Some great ideas, recipes and advice.
Johanna
Oct 21, 2015 Johanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: making-things
heck of a lot more helpful and fun than julia cameron's...
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Divanna Toscano
Divanna Toscano marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Msbookworm
Msbookworm marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Kirry
Kirry rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Sheri
Sheri added it
Jan 21, 2016
Brigitte
Brigitte marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Blake Phoenix
Blake Phoenix rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
  • The Big-Ass Book of Crafts
  • Handmade Modern: Mid-Century Inspired Projects for Your Home
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • The Craftster Guide to Nifty, Thrifty, and Kitschy Crafts: Fifty Fabulous Projects from the Fifties and Sixties
  • Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads Into Street Couture
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Alternacrafts: 20+ Hi-Style Lo-Budget Projects to Make
  • 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • Apartment Therapy presents real homes, real people, hundreds of real design solutions
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  •  Cute Dolls