Start by marking “The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)

The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,237 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Rowan had been Isandro Salazar's bride of convenience. But knowing that the Spanish billionaire would never love her as she loved him, her choice was to make her unborn child her priority and then, once he was born, make her dark journey by herself....But in Isandro's eyes, Rowan's decision rendered her a gold digger who had committed the worst possible crime. However, he ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain

Alex is The Romance Fox
The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain is one of my favorites and loved it just as much as the first time I read it.

It’s such an emotional story. Filled with sadness, angst, love, and anguish and being given a second chance in your life. And finding happiness too.

This is Isandro
 photo be2351b517c63712a9ee131dbfa9e4c8_zpsyrozwkjw.jpg

& Rowan’s
 photo 7da8a95e7b24f4a5a470bc11b7f4e6df_zpsrh2fdyw2.jpg
love story and how two people find each other again despite the obstacles and pain they both went through.

I found Isandro’s attitude to Rowan incredibly cruel in the beginning, and it put me off him even thou
Roksana
Verity
Nov 21, 2009 Verity rated it it was amazing
Shelves: green-abby, ebook
AG really hit this 1 outta the ballpark. I’m such a bleeding heart when it comes to HPs. I know that every book should be judged by its own merit, but it’s hard not to compare when I just read a book by a different author w/ a similar premise months ago. In my humble opinion, TSMB has a much more superior execution in terms of plotting, pacing, characterizations & in making a fanatic reader experience the H/H’s undeniable red-hawt passion, the intense highs & lows of emotions, heroine’s ...more
Aayesha Khatri
Aug 05, 2015 Aayesha Khatri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heartbreakingly-wonderful-favourite, trope-large-age-difference, trope-arranged-conv-marriage, romance-contemporary, heroine-i-loved, child-children-in-story, heroine-i-admired, theme-spanish, bad-tempered-hero, businessman, hero-with-emotional-scars, alpha-gamma-hero, romance-angsty, heroine-has-scars, sweetheart-heroine, heroine-has-emotional-scars, hero-is-an-ass-to-heroine, hero-i-more-than-loved, theme-english, virgin-heroine, trope-married-couple-romance, sex-after-marriage, hero-with-ex, hero-with-kid-or-kids, heroine-is-25-plus, h-in-love-with-hero-from-beginning, hero-is-tortured-brooding-cynical, trope-mistaken-identity, trope-the-innocent-tamed-the-wolf, heroine-with-kid-or-kids, hero-is-a-workaholic, setting-countryside, harlequin, well-written, harlequin-presents, setting-exotic, setting-small-town, setting-western, ruthless-all-or-nothing-businessman, heroine-never-complains, heroine-is-a-doormat, heroine-is-kind-selfless, mills-and-boon, hot-sex, trope-estranged-couple-romance, trope-second-chances, overall-amazing-feel-read, mills-and-boon-modern, hero-is-unnecessarily-cruel, hero-is-verbally-abusive, trope-ow-involved, hero-is-moody, heroine-is-driven-determined, heroine-in-love-with-h-from-begenni, heroine-falls-in-love-first, trope-unrequited-love, trope-revenge-vendetta, hero-i-loved-to-hate, heroine-is-sensible, trope-hero-is-an-ass-to-heroine, hero-tries-to-fight-feelings-for-h, romance-heartwrenching-angst, hero-is-magnetic-sexy-heat-radiatin, heroine-is-sweet-innocent, alphahole-hero, heroine-is-shy, trope-unrequited-love-heroine-pov, sex-scenes-well-written, trope-accidental-pregnancy, hero-dnt-realise-feelns-4-h-until-l, hero-is-celibate-during-separation, trope-separation, hero-tries-2-fight-feelings-for-h, h-realises-feelings-4-heroine-late, hero-is-cruel-vicious-to-h, heroine-is-self-sacrificing-naive, heroine-whose-side-i-was-on, sex-angst-filled-gut-wrenching, book-made-me-almost-cry, hero-one-and-only-lover, trope-meet-due-to-child, hero-knows-h-is-virgin, h-realises-feelings-4-hero-early, hero-believes-worst-about-heroine, heroine-self-sacrificing-sweet, hero-hot-n-cold-hot-n-cold, heroine-says-ily-first, trope-hero-thinks-h-evil-slutty-gol, trope-hero-thinks-heroine-is-gold-d, heroine-i-felt-so-sorry-for, heroine-is-compassionate-sympatheti, hero-pov-shown, heroine-eaten-up-with-guilt, h-feels-she-deserves-bad-treatment, trope-humiliation-degradation, hero-devoted-loving-father, hero-angry-boner-man
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK. I LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT. OH. MY. GOD.

IT HAD EXACTLY MY KIND OF HEROINE, SWEET, SELF-SACRIFICING MARTYR WITH A TRUCKLOAD OF INNER STRENGTH. I

It was just so beautiful :') The anguish the poor heroine went through, the pain, and on top of that, all the barbs and insults the hero kept throwing at her - it made me want to weep. I almost cried :'(

I also loved the hero. Seeing his protective, sweet side, the way he behaved with his son, absolutely stole my heart. I
Dee

This was very well written and full of angst which is just what I like when reading a HP. Halfway through the second chapter I realised that I had read this a few years ago and remembered the story very well. Despite that I still continued to read it again.

We realise right from the start that the heroine has been through something very horrible but that she didn't tell her husband, she just disappeared leaving a note with words to the effect that she didn't want a to be married or ha
Leona
Mar 16, 2012 Leona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hqn-presents
I felt this was one of Abby Green's better books. Though, I must say I did NOT like the Hero! Even at the end, when I am typically willing to forgive all heros for their sins, I couldn't forgive this one! He was too darn self-centered, ruthless and abusive. Also, the heroine was a little too much of a martyr for my tastes. However, the story is incredible, intense, well written and kept me turning the pages halfway into the night. The sex scenes are some of the most explosive and passionate scen ...more
RomReader❤️Spoiler Giver✨
25yo heroine walked out on her husband & their newly-born son & left them with a terse note 2 years ago. She accidentally meets both of them again the day that she came back to London to meet with her lawyer so she could re-establish contact with her son. Hero is suspicious and scornful about heroine’s real intentions regarding their son. He accepts her request for time spent with their son but is frank about what he thinks of her. She does her best to focus on her son & tries to ste ...more
Claire
Apr 02, 2011 Claire rated it it was amazing
I swear hubris is going to be my downfall because I want to improve on perfection.

IMHO the ending could be tweaked. After surviving the big misunderstanding, the emotional isolation and the big C scare, nope! the honeymoon suite at Georges V isn't compelling reason for her to acquit, err, I mean, to forgive the hero.

It's partly because I lived in Paris and my husband takes me and my children to Paris every three years and he's not even a billionaire like the hero. LOL. So, no, a one-night Paris
Marilyn
Nov 14, 2008 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while a book stands out for a reader and The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain, well let's just say it's brilliant and I personally think it's Abby Green's best! It is about deep, abiding and selfless love.

Rowan Carmichael grew up knowing she was not very important in her parents lives; however her mother on her death bed made her father promise to see Rowan married. Her father fulfills that promise and makes arrangements with the handsome businessman from Spain, Isandro Salazar. All R
StMargarets

Just had a re-read.

While knowing the ending lessened the emotional impact, I was able to appreciate what a masterful job Abby Green did weaving in the backstory while also keeping the tension alive in every scene. The backstory and what was going on in real time were both angsty and full of pain. One didn't fight the other. I also appreciate how angry the hero was in this story and how he kept fueling the flames of his anger every time the h got under his skin. He pulled no punches and it wasn'
Paula Legate
This book should be made into a movie! All I can say is WOW! The emotions I felt while reading this book was intense.

There were a lot of secrets, suspense, Love, and romance.
Rowan left after she gave birth to her son Zac leaving her husband to be a single parent. She came back almost 2 years later wanting to see her son. Isandro said that she would only see their son on his terms. She had to move in with him, so Zac’s schedule would not be disturbed. She was only allowed to see Zac a few hours
Vintage
Wow, Isandro is one big meanie. Okay, he believes that his wife left their baby hours after his birth so she could go party (she didn't), but once she shows up he makes it clear he is not a turn the cheek kind of guy.

Typically, the heroine does not make any attempt to explain where she was which in the real world is inexplicable, but in Harlequinland is par for the course.

If you like cruel, alpha heroes then this is the book for you. He is somewhat redeemable with a semi grovel when he finds the
Giovanni
Apr 16, 2013 Giovanni rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!!
Just finished the story, and wow, indeed. I'm still in awe since the story's so intense. wow.

i only got one problem here, every time the names Rowan and Isandro came together, i had to stop a moment to remember who's the hero and who's the heroine.

Little silly but in my mind Isandro is like a woman name, Rowan is a man's name. Lol.

Anyway, this book is awesome so i give it a 4.5 stars. why not 5? because i wish to know more about Isandro's life when Rowan left. well. in spite of that, i love thi
Rhapsody
Feb 28, 2010 Rhapsody rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
KC

So much angst one could figuratively bathe in it. However, I couldn't get into the story because of the unsympathetic characters and the lackluster writing style.

Let's talk specifics. Rowan? Boo hoo. I don't think I have come across a more self-pitying wimp heroine in recent memory. I think a part of her secretively liked playing the martyr. Her thoughts ran something along these selfish lines (and I'm summarizing): He doesn't love me so I will go away! (view spoiler)
Onu
Dec 03, 2013 Onu rated it liked it
This was so Bollywood-ish. You have all the masala. Full of angst. Lots of twists and turns. Yet it failed to strike a chord.

I just couldn't forgive Rowan for abandoning her new born baby. No matter what the circumstances were. Her logic that it would have hurt Zac more if they had bonded for a very short while. Of course it would hurt but it least he would have got the chance to be close to his mother. Her martyr stance didn't go well with me.

I disliked Isandro even more. How could anyone wis
Gege86
Feb 27, 2014 Gege86 rated it it was amazing
If I wanted to describe this novel in two word I'd say, "heart wrenching!"
It begins with the heroine going to a meeting with her lawyer, to establish communication with her estrange husband and baby boy. Only to pump into her husband and son. We discover that right after the birth of her baby the heroine took off without leaving any trace. The hero is wounded by her actions and he think that she's nothing more than a grasping opportunist. Which is way, way from the truth behind her disappearing.
Donnie
Jan 20, 2016 Donnie rated it it was amazing
Beautiful heart-wrenching romance!
Vashti
Jul 19, 2011 Vashti rated it really liked it
I need to do a reread of this one soon.
Pravana
A different theme. Very few books feature the heroine abandoning her family especially when kids are involved.
I've cried buckets over this book.
Chris
May 11, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, the angst! There is so much angst in this book!

The heroine, Rowan, abandons her husband, Isandro, and her newborn son within hours of giving birth. She disappears off the face of the earth for almost two years before almost literally bumping into them at a hotel while waiting to meet with her attorney. From there on, it is a fight between Rowan and Isandro over the custody of their son and, even though they don't admit it right away, their marriage.

I liked Rowan. She was very sorry for aba
Mareli
Dec 01, 2012 Mareli rated it really liked it
Mmmmmm, this story is one I'd put on the martyr-shelf. You know, where the woman is just a little on this side of santity IMO. In this story, she left his husband (a MOC, he thought she married him for getting her inheritance and she thought he married her for having an entry into banking) and her infant son, 1 hour after the birth and disappeard for almost 2 years.

Then she's back, because she wants to know her son and obviously the husband (not ex, those spaniard/italian/greek billionaires don'
Simona Misevska
Mar 16, 2015 Simona Misevska rated it it was amazing
description
I really enjoyed reading about Isandro and Rowan love story.It's emotional,passionate,anguish,and second chances.The character development is very good,writing is in 3POV.Rowan is great heroine,i find her very likeable and strong,Isandro is very cruel in beginning but in the end he redeem himself.Overall great HP book.
Janie
Tishke
Apr 02, 2013 Tishke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it very much. The plot is very different than the typical second chance story. The reason I am giving this book 4 stars is because the information about bone marrow transplant was really outdated for the time this book was originally published. Also, Although I absolutely loved Isandro as a father, I wasn't too crazy about him as a husband.
Sharn
Dec 06, 2015 Sharn rated it it was ok
Ok, so After reading the reviews and stuff and looking at the ratings, I totally expected to love this book, and that didn't happen!! Quite the opposite in fact, I didn't like the premise, I didn't like the Heroine, I didn't like the Hero, hell the only thing I did like was the baby and that's it.

(SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS)

1) I didn't like the heroine's choices, first of all did she really think, that a baby knowing that it's mother loved it and adored it but had cancer and died is WORSE then
Dianna
Short version: is there ever a good reason to leave your newborn infant with your judgemental husband?

Long version:
Rowan really had nothing else going on with her life at the time, so she married Isandro. It was all part of a deal with her father, so that Isandro would bail out Rowan’s dad’s bank before people started panicking about how it was going down, and Isandro in return got access to posh business people, probably so that he can make even more money. Rowan is miserable. She is not decora
Kritika
★★★★

This is one of those books that reminded me why I love Harlequins. I read this one in between contemporary and historical romances. So, this book provided a much needed breather. And was also quite refreshing and enjoyable.

The hero is arrogant, harsh, callous and totally unforgiving towards the heroine. But he has his reasons for behaving this way. He feels he is more than justified in his cruel treatment of the Heroine. His redeeming quality was his caring nature for his son.
(view spoiler)
Penny Watson
This book had the most rage-inducing BIG MISUNDERSTANDING of all time. You know the whole "this entire story could be fixed with a one-sentence explanation in the first chapter" thing? Yeah. That. Well, this entire story could have been fixed with a one-sentence explanation in the first chapter.

And there was no good explanation given for WHY THE HELL THE HEROINE DID NOT DO THAT.

By the end of the book, the heroine had conquered cancer, saved her child's life--twice, once from seizures, and once f
  • The Greek's Christmas Baby (Kouros Brothers Duo, #2; Greek Tycoons, #3)
  • House of Mirrors
  • The Veranchetti Marriage
  • Maggie's Dad (Bighorn, Wyoming #1)
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Playing The Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)
  • The Fiorenza Forced Marriage (Harlequin Presents #2807)
  • Lost in Love
  • Substitute Bride
  • Saturday's Child
  • Innocent on Her Wedding Night
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • Bought: The Greek's Innocent Virgin
  • Strangers in the Desert
Abby Green spent her teens reading Mills & Boon romances. She then spent many years working in the Film and TV industry as an Assistant Director. One day while standing outside an actor's trailer in the rain, she thought: "there has to be more than this". So she sent off a partial to Mills & Boon. After numerous rewrites, they accepted her first book and an author was born. She was nominat ...more
More about Abby Green...

The Marriage Bargain (4 books)
  • The Millionaire's Chosen Bride (The Marriage Bargain, #2)
  • Ruthless Husband, Convenient Wife (The Marriage Bargain, #3)
  • His Bid for a Bride (The Marriage Bargain, #4)