Start by marking “The Garth Factor: The Career Behind Country's Big Boom” as Want to Read:
The Garth Factor: The Career Behind Country's Big Boom

The Garth Factor: The Career Behind Country's Big Boom

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Garth Brooks is certified by the RIAA as the #1 selling solo artist in US history. Since his debut in 1990, he has sold over 128 million albums. But success rarely comes without controversy, and Garth has had more than a share. Is he a media and market manipulator, a country music poseur, and a megalomaniac, or is he simply a brilliant businessman and marketing strategist? ...more
Published May 28th 2009 by Center Street (first published May 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Garth Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Garth Factor

Mahlon
Jun 01, 2009 Mahlon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Garth Brooks fans, Country Music fans
Recommended to Mahlon by: I'm a long-time GB fan
Shelves: read-2009
In The Garth Factor, Patsi Bale Cox chronicles the highs and lows in
Garth Brooks roller coaster ride to becoming the biggest selling
recording artist of all time. In the process she sets straight many
misconceptions that have plagued Garth for much of his career. Through
interviews with many of the musicians, songwriters and executives
integral to Garth's success, you'll get a behind-the-scenes look at how
his music was recorded and marketed. You'll also learn the stories
behind your favorite G
Judy Stasiak
Jul 02, 2014 Judy Stasiak rated it liked it
I just became a country music fan in more recent years, so some of the info in this book did not keep my attention as much as one would hope. This book has a lot of the step by step details of Garth Brooks career. Early in the book, some of those details felt like a laundry list of songs, of who said what, etc. However, as I stuck with the book I found it more and more interesting. I had heard that he is one of a few artist who really tries to stay true to himself, and not be pushed around by la ...more
Julie
Jul 22, 2009 Julie rated it it was ok
This book was a little disappointing ... however having said that, if one wants to read about every fact and figure about every prominent country music singer, producer, writer and company head this is the book for you. I was hoping for a little more of a biographical sketch of Garth ... which there is but you have to pick it from a sentence here or a paragraph there from all the other information to find it. The good side - WOW! He really changed the industry and is a good guy.
Michael Wilkes
Jun 03, 2009 Michael Wilkes rated it it was amazing
I read this book at lightning speed. I loved it. As someone who has read all there is to know about Garth Brooks, this book provided even more details about the behind the scenes goings-on. Very interesting and fulfilling.
Megan Garrett
Jun 22, 2015 Megan Garrett rated it did not like it
Yes, I have a crazy secret fascination and love for Garth Brooks. I picked up this book because it was on our sale shelf and therefore no one could prove I had checked it out on my account. I really expected so much more from a book with such a flashy cover.

While reading this, I began to sense that it was poorly written and very biased from the author's perspective. That's fine. Sometimes it felt like it read like a really really long school report on Garth Brooks. That's fine.

At the bottom of
Lois
May 06, 2013 Lois rated it liked it
An interesting read if you are a Garth Books fan(yes) AND if you have an interest in the inner workings of the music business. Garth's impact on the business and what I consider his contribution to the revival of the country genre cannot be measured in just the numbers, although they are a good indicator of his success. Clearly he's been a fearless artist who pushed the boundaries. His ideas were not always embraced by the establishment but there is no doubt his fans are loyal and supportive.
Cynthia
Sep 27, 2010 Cynthia rated it really liked it
I love Garth Brooks....so much that I slept outside of Smith's in high school to get tickets to his concert. This book was all about how he made it and just a little about his personal life. I didn't realize how much goes into recording/record lable/production/marketing/song writing, etc. Took me back to the good 'ol days of real country music from a legend. I really believe he turned alot of people on to country music, that otherwise wouldn't have turned the dial.
Bill
Sep 07, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical
Patsi Bale Cox provides a behind-the-scenes story of Garth Brooks rise to fame as well the country music boom of the 1990's. This book provides the interesting background stories behind many of Brooks songs as well as extensive insight into the Nashville music company executive changes that occurred either as a direct or indirect result of his meteoric rise. This book is much more than a celebrity biography and is a quick and interesting read.
Krystal
Sep 10, 2009 Krystal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-books
This was an interesting book. It was a biography on Garth Brooks, but also examined his impact on country music. It made me remember how much I used to like Garth and how HUGE he was!! He's sold OVER 100 millions CDs. Amazing. I also really respect him for retiring at the height of his career to be a dad to his 3 little girls.
Joan
Mar 15, 2010 Joan rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look at the music biz. Partly biography, partly tutorial on the work and perseverance that it takes to make the stars shine. Patsy is a master at conversational writing. Reading her work is like having a close friend whispering secrets in your ear.
Jamie White
May 07, 2013 Jamie White rated it it was ok
Just getting started. Patsi Bale Cox is a blogging friend and an excellent author who knows country music backwards and forwards. More after I finish, but if you love country, you will probably love this book.
Kirsten
Sep 26, 2009 Kirsten rated it liked it
liked it, but i think there weren't so much new things if you read a few other books about garth.
Nathan Rabin
Oct 05, 2009 Nathan Rabin rated it it was ok
Readable hagiography from a woman apparently bucking to be named Garth's Fan Club President.
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Ken Lingad
Ken Lingad rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Gillian Kelly
Gillian Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Joann
Joann rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Ben Campbell
Ben Campbell rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Bronagh
Bronagh rated it liked it
May 07, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2014
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa added it
Apr 23, 2014
Crystal Paine
Crystal Paine marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Tina
Tina added it
Oct 23, 2013
Melanie Hannett
Melanie Hannett rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2013
Phil Melton
Phil Melton rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013