Start by marking “Essential Enneagram: The Definitive Personality Test and Self-Discovery Guide -- Revised & Updated” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  516 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
The First and Only Scientifically Determined Enneagram Personality Test and Guide

A centuries-old psychological system with roots in sacred tradition, the Enneagram can be an invaluable guide in your journey toward self-understanding and self-development. In this book, Stanford University Medical School clinical professor of psychiatry David Daniels and counseling psycholo
Published May 26th 2009 by HarperOne (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Enneagram, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Enneagram

Hayley
Aug 04, 2012 Hayley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts by giving the reader nine paragraphs they are to read and then it asks them to choose the three paragraphs that describe them the most and the order in which they best describe them (ie. first, second, and third.) The book then tells the reader which types they most likely could be based upon the paragraphs that they chose. The book then briefly describes how the stress and security arrows of the types work and how the information pages for each type are laid out. The reader is ...more
Mokawawi
Apr 16, 2011 Mokawawi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like the fact that your "discovered" personality type is not fixed. You have a personality for when under stress and another when in security. I actually related to this distinction. The personality also comes with wings and look a-likes which confuses me. I got some insights about my self but i want to check it out with outside friends to check their credibility.

Oh, yeah about the test itself. It gives u 9 paragraphs to choose the closest 3 to your personality. then it determine your type. th
Angélique
Nov 20, 2014 Angélique rated it really liked it
Of all the Enneagram resources that I have encountered, this book is the most accessible. It provides a succinct introduction to the 9 types without sacrificing a deep look at the motivations, struggles, and strengths of each type. I found that the self-test is also much better than any of the other short tests I've encountered. It's simple but challenging which primes the reader for the paradoxical challenge that naturally comes with attempting to better understand oneself. My favorite parts of ...more
Aziz
May 20, 2016 Aziz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A loyal skeptic type, which is a performer under stress and a mediator under secure conditions.
Famke
Apr 16, 2016 Famke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Takes a bit to figure out personality type, but then it's brutally honest and surprisingly fitting (in my case).
Mindy Danylak
Feb 04, 2016 Mindy Danylak rated it really liked it
This book was required reading for the Enneagram part of a group I'm in. I appreciated this book but was glad I'd already had some exposure to the Enneagram -- the small print was a bit off-putting, and it wasn't a 'sit down and start right in where it seems interesting' kind of book -- they want you to discover in a certain order. The ways the types were described, however, were different but consistent with the other reading I've done and expanded my understanding of them. I really like the la ...more
Kristine Sprunger
Jul 19, 2013 Kristine Sprunger rated it it was amazing
as a writer, this is the BEST guide for creating believable characters.
Clara
Sep 11, 2013 Clara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Essential Enneagram does exactly what it sets out to do: help you determine your Enneagram personality type, and hint at what to do next once you have that information. It does that well. If you don't know anything about Enneagram studies, however, you're unlikely to find the Enneagram approach compelling.

The more I learn about the Enneagram, the more value I find in it. Personality "systems" (including the Enneagram) offer information on understanding one's specific personality style--think
Maye
May 06, 2016 Maye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting.

As books on the enneagram go, I thought it offered a bit of a different perspective for making a determination of your type. More simplistic than many others, its primary focus was on typing. In that regard it also was more extensive than some others.

A succinct reference to have around for those interested in personality typing.
Kinsey
Aug 12, 2016 Kinsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of the podcasters I listen to talk frequently about the enneagram. I'm not overly enthusiastic about personality types, but I picked up this book to quickly determine my type and read a bit about the enneagram, so I'd have a better sense of what those podcasters are talking about. Really appreciated this book's clarity and brevity.
Jess Dollar
I wouldn't recommend this as a first Enneagram book but it's useful to someone who loves Enneagram.
I think it's helpful to read descriptions of the 9 types from as many sources as you can, and they explain the types very concisely and simply. I particularly liked how the explained the differences between look alike types.
James
May 26, 2016 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
A simple overview of the Enneagram with a short paragraph test to discover your type. Also practiced for personal growth and descriptions of dynamics of how they types are related (i.e. Security/stress types, wings, etc.).
Deb
Jun 01, 2014 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A small and quick overview of the enneagram.

If you already know your type, this is a quick go to book.

The simplicity of this book, considering the topic, is a major draw card.
Rhian Gastineau
It was interesting, but a bit vague. I may have to do more research into Enneagram books for a more indepth look. But it is a fast read.
Chloe Adeline
I've been interested in the MBTI model for quite awhile, and I'm just starting to look into enneagram literature.

This is the first book I've read on the subject, and while it's a nice brief overview, it paled in comparison to many websites and online articles in accuracy and usefulness of information for me.

While it breaks everything down nice and analytically, it didn't feel like it gave me any insight into myself or the enneagram model itself...it "told" me some obvious things about how I act,
Seth
Mar 18, 2016 Seth added it
Interesting read. Not super well written (you can tell it was done by academics), but some really good information.
Judy Owens
Apr 22, 2016 Judy Owens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clear description of The Enneagram. I love the way you're able to check your number type.
Josh L.
Apr 19, 2016 Josh L. rated it it was ok
Shelves: growth
A bit confusing with the self-select test...so only read if you already know our type
I finally read straight through this book today. (It's a relatively short one).
I'd say it's probably the best book I've read on the subject. It's also a good starting point for those not already familiar with the enneagram of personality.

It's unabashedly self-help, and all that that implies, but it's self-help tailored to you! And, it doesn't have that tone that self-help books can sometimes have. I liked the straight-forward advice and the lack of any personal bias from the authors.

I'd give thi
Sylvie Faisandier
Good synthesis though detailed on the 9 profiles
Twolf
Dec 06, 2014 Twolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick way to assess your point on the enneagram
Alicia Mitsch
Jan 22, 2014 Alicia Mitsch rated it it was amazing
This is a great Cliffnotes version for anyone curious about the Enneagram. The author does a amazing job of boiling all the information down to simple terms and makes the process of discovering one's type very easy. This book does not cover much on in-depth personal growth, but it gives the reader the tools necessary to dig deeper into the psychology of the Enneagram personalities. Great resource for any who are interested in self-study.
Becky Lai
Jan 30, 2013 Becky Lai rated it it was amazing
Reading this book has spurred hours of conversation with friends and family. It is fascinating and humbling that our human complexities can be simplified to this degree without sacrificing too much accuracy or nuance. A personality test to end all personality tests. I really like the idea that the Enneagram isn't meant to justify personality quirks but to help you figure out ways to manage personalities -- your own and of others in your life.
Barbara
Dec 10, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book. it's simplicity is incredibly helpful. so many books belabor an idea past the point of usefulness. this book is insightful, clear, to the point, basic, and also comprehensive enough to keep the reader busy for quite some time in using it's guidelines and tools. i love the clarity, precision, and perspective offered here. very useful in self-studies, personal growth, relationship work, spirituality... amazing.
Jessica
Aug 16, 2016 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, nonfiction
By "the most fundamental guide" they mean "the guide that sticks to the fundamentals only and doesn't give any in-depth information."

Everything in the book is on the Enneagram Institute's website and the personality "test" is just nine paragraphs summarizing each type and asking you to pick the one that sounds the closest. I'm annoyed I even took the time to check this out from the library.
Deb
Feb 21, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short, yet comprehensive, book quickly helps readers determine their types using nine (“scientifically tested”) descriptive paragraphs. The rest of the book presents information to help readers verify their type, and then determine ways to live in ways that consciously bring awareness to the strengths and weaknesses of their respective types.
Rosemary Generali
Jun 24, 2015 Rosemary Generali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book provides a quick personality test and excellent descriptions of the nine personality types, backed by scientific research. I found it personally very helpful and useful. The only reason for four instead of five stars is that it ends rather abruptly. I would have liked more of a conclusion or summation at the end.
Loraena
This is the first Enneagram book I've read and it was very informative. It provides a method for determining your type, descriptions of each type, and ideas for personal growth once you have determined your type. I read the entire book, but I still have not found my own location on the circle. Its a toss-up between 2,4, and 9.
Katie
Sep 18, 2007 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an assignment for a work team building event, and it was actually very interesting! The concepts make a lot of sense, and I've been able to put the techniques into practice, not only in the workplace, but in my personal life as well. We were also very lucky to have the author present the material to us.
Ramya
May 30, 2015 Ramya rated it liked it
Interesting look at our personalities based on our childhood desires, needs, and motivations supposedly fixed at the age of 14. Research supposedly shows this determination to be stable through the years unlike other personality scales and diagnostics such as the Myers-Briggs.
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • Are You My Type, Am I Yours? Relationships Made Easy Through the Enneagram
  • The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types
  • Discovering the Enneagram: An Ancient Tool a New Spiritual Journey
  • The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul
  • The Enneagram of Parenting: The 9 Types of Children and How to Raise Them Successfully
  • Energy Addict: 101 Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Ways to Energize Your Life
  • Holy Listening: The Art of Spiritual Direction
  • Personality Type
  • Facets of Unity: The Enneagram of Holy Ideas
  • Why You Act the Way You Do
  • Creating Unforgettable Characters
  • Revelation and the End of All Things
  • The Chemistry of Joy: A Three-Step Program for Overcoming Depression Through Western Science and Eastern Wisdom
  • Mozart's Brain and the Fighter Pilot: Unleashing Your Brain's Potential
  • When a Pet Dies
  • Working With Anger
  • The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life
Dr. David Daniels is a clinical professor of psychiatry at Stanford University Medical School and is also one of the world’s foremost developers and teachers of a system called, “The Enneagram.” He is a co-founder, along with Helen Palmer, of Enneagram Worldwide, one of the leading schools for teaching the enneagram system.
More about David N. Daniels...