Start by marking “Forecast” as Want to Read:
Forecast

Forecast

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The year is 2212, the weather is out of control, and Seattle is being rebuilt with electricity generated from negative human emotion. In a strange and turbulent world fueled by secrecy, lies and voyeurism, a sweet if stultified housewife named Helen vanishes, and Citizen Surveillant Maxwell Point, the man whose job it’s been to watch her, must recount the years leading up ...more
Published December 3rd 2010 by Flatmancrooked (first published May 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Forecast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forecast

Nik Korpon
May 04, 2011 Nik Korpon rated it it was amazing
Excellent read from an author about to break out. Full review here: http://www.cowheavybooks.com/reviews/...
Richard Thomas
May 22, 2011 Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing
[This review was originally published at The Cult.]

IT WAS AS IF I WERE BOTH THE FEVER-DREAMER AND THE DREAM ITSELF.

If you were paying attention in 2009 you may have seen the birthing of Forecast across the internet, from July to December, in forty-two installments. Billed as the Forecast 42 Project, this story is set in the year 2212, and is the bastard love-child of Kurt Vonnegut and Philip K. Dick, weaving elements of noir and science fiction into a humorous, touching love story, a narrative o
Lori
Jan 23, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
Review copy from author

Housewives paid to watch television ads? Weather forecasts that differ from house to house? Electricity that is generated by negative human emotions? Wearing special masks when you go outside to block the Citizen Surveillance team's ability to "watch" you? This is the world into which author Shya Scanlon thrusts his readers when they crack the cover of his novel Forecast.

Released nearly a month ago by FlatManCrooked, Forecast is an "actionable narrative" set in 2212, writt
Andrea DeAngelis
May 14, 2011 Andrea DeAngelis rated it really liked it
What a strange, highly imaginative and compelling ride. At first I believed I was reading a straight ahead scifi plot but gradually the whole secondary narrative undercurrent of the intense connection between writer and his characters became clear. And just like the writer, we have to leave the characters he's created before we're entirely ready and if the writer has done his job we'll never be ready and Shya Scanlon has done his job superbly.
David
Sep 08, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scanlon definitely writes a gripping story through an imaginative dystopian world. He mixes a number of different things I wouldn't have imagined to mix well together, but he handles it all marvelously. There was never a moment I wasn't interested and never a moment I wasn't intrigued.
Ryan Bradford
Aug 09, 2012 Ryan Bradford rated it really liked it
Really liked a lot this book, but there are a lot of cutesy, tongue-in-cheek futuristic touches that bothered me. Like, trademarking "Neighborhoods" - to point out our increasingly consumer culture was... ehh... Just reminded me of the parts of Super Sad True Love Story that I didn't like.

But the characters were great. Zara/Helen is such a strong main character that you enjoy every moment with her.

And there's this fourth-wall breakage that was pretty genius: narrator of the story is part of the
JC
Jul 15, 2013 JC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a weird and crazy book. I both liked and disliked the fact that the world itself wasn't entirely explained, though leaving the specifics of some of the things to the imagination probably worked in its favor.
Dylan Suher
Mar 21, 2011 Dylan Suher rated it it was ok
He is a good writer. He will write better books. He ends it fairly well, at least.
Amanda Kuehl
Jul 16, 2013 Amanda Kuehl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it, but weird!! LOL!!
Kristin Riccio
Kristin Riccio rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2016
Amy Swanepoel
Amy Swanepoel rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2016
Blind Lemon Dufflecoat
Blind Lemon Dufflecoat marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Anders
Anders marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Nick Taylor
Nick Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Danny Miller
Danny Miller marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Katie Scofield
Katie Scofield marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Hilary Kim Morden
Hilary Kim Morden rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Lacy
Lacy marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Romain
Romain marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Feb 13, 2015
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Jason Jordan
Jason Jordan marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Twarnock
Twarnock marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Katrina Grajeda
Katrina Grajeda marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
2008319
Shya Scanlon's work has appeared in Mississippi Review, Literary Review, New York Quarterly, Guernica Magazine, Opium Magazine, and others. His book of prose poetry, In This Alone Impulse, was published by Noemi Press in January, 2010. His novel Forecast will be launched by Flatmancrooked on November 15th, 2010. He received his MFA from Brown University, where he was awarded the John Hawkes Prize ...more
More about Shya Scanlon...