Start by marking “G-Man Volume 1: Learning To Fly” as Want to Read:
G-Man Volume 1: Learning To Fly

G-Man Volume 1: Learning To Fly (G-Man #1)

From the creator of the sold-out Mini-Marvels digests comes the first G-Man digest Writer/artist Chris Giarrusso continues his signature Mini-Marvels brand of comics with G-Man and his pals, the next wave of all-new kid super-heroes Collects the sold-out G-Man one-shot, the G-Man Christmas Story, an extensive collection of Comic Bits comic strips, and more.
Published June 3rd 2009 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about G-Man Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about G-Man Volume 1

Maria
Aug 04, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this one, and I had to keep grabbing it back from my sons (who were reading it multiple times).

While it seems like a silly "Kids hero" comic, it really packed in a lot of intriguing concepts. It has the whole multiple universes concept going toward the end, which would be an interesting way to introduce those physics concepts.

Only real drawback? Zero female characters. You see some in passing during a hero camp, but they aren't ever in the forefront. This is only volume 1,
Sahil
Oct 01, 2015 Sahil rated it it was amazing
I think the book really surprised me by how he had wrote the adventure and how hard thing where when he was trying to learn how to fly.

In the beginning of the book G-man was reading a book how to fly, because he had a really had a passion to fly. So the next day G-man had a magic cape that had made him fly, and so hi dad is grumpy,mean,and weird so if someone had stepped on his grass he would have made a big deal out of it, but he had on the magic cape. So his dad had started screaming that you
Jeff Raymond
A super-fun, very cute middle grade gateway book into the world of superheroes. This is more an omnibus-style book than anything, with two longer-form stories and a pile of small two-page tales about a young boy who gets superpowers and his superhero friends.

It's really a throwback to when I remember getting Richie Rich and Lil' Devil comics when I was younger, with goofy 3rd grade humor and slapstick comedic violence with massive guns and massive heroes/villains to go with it. I probably read t
Mary Lee
Jun 13, 2015 Mary Lee rated it liked it
Because this collection has short stories, single-page stories and even single strip cartoons (along with a longer story), I think it would make a good mentor text for the students' comics in Bitstrips. http://www.bitstripsforschools.com/
Amy
May 05, 2010 Amy added it
Shelves: j-comics, 2010
The G Family lives in a town where superheroes are the norm - kind of like the Incredibles. Mom and Dad don't seem to have any super powers, but brothers David and Mikey use the family's magic blanket to help them fly. Flying seems awesome at first, but awesome things don't come without their drawbacks. David and Mikey get into quite a few pickles while trying out their newfound ability, much to the reader's amusement. There's also a healthy dose of sibling conflict, which will also have readers ...more
Had I realized when I met him that this was the person who did Bullpen Bits, I probably would have fangirled out and been escorted from the premises. As it was, I simply thanked him for the ARC and told him that teens and kids in libraries adore comics and graphic novels and that it is nice to see more geared toward them.

This volume has the same humor as Bullpen Bits/Mini-Marvels, fully fleshed world and characters, but silly almost slapstick jokes and situations. It's pretty much a delight. Th
Patrice Sartor
This is a compilation of the initial comic stories about how G-Man and his brother, Great Man, get super strength and the ability to fly. Intermingled between sections are some comic bits, such as cartoons 'drawn' by the main characters. I did enjoy seeing the Savage Dragon from the Image comic universe; I used to collect a lot of Image comics when they started back in the '90s.

I liked the artwork quite a bit. Nice, clean line drawings with bold, colorful inkwork. It's very appealing visually, a
Chris
Mar 25, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
I read a good but short review of this that got me to check it out, then let it sit around for a while since the cover and packaging didn't get me very excited. I should have trusted the review and dove right in, because it was much better than I expected; not just better, it was good.

The first third of this volume is a single, complete story, with the rest being a series of shorter (and mini) stories about the same characters. G-Man lives a world where everyone has superpowers. In that sense, t
Jun 15, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I picked this up from Chris Giarrusso at HeroesCon, mostly because I felt guilty asking for a free headshot sketch and not giving him any money. I've been a fan of his hilarious "Mini Marvels" strips for a long time, with their gentle mockery of Marvel characters and plots, but I wasn't sure how I'd feel about his original work. Luckily, I had no reason to be worried. G-Man is hilarious, all-ages fun, with well-paced jokes and cleverness that makes light of both superheroism and the trials and ...more
Dolores
Mar 25, 2013 Dolores rated it really liked it
Mikey is determined to unlock his powers--specifically his power to fly, and in this hilarious first volume, he manages to do just that with the help of how-to book. Oh, and of course--the magic blanket. There are a few bumps along the way, but he is soon soaring into super-hero history. Laugh-out-loud funny, with tons of boy appeal. My only complaint is the relatively short story was supplemented with lots of strip-style short stories. I enjoyed them all, but I would have preferred one or two ...more
Kristen
This was a very fun graphic novel about kid superheroes in a world where superpowers are common. This would be great for an elementary-aged kid (grades 3-6) who likes The Incredibles, or who might like prose novels The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy or Powerless & sequels. There's quite a lot of sibling banter in here too, which might go over well with fans of Raina Telgemeier's Sisters.
Migul
Jul 06, 2009 Migul rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: someone who has a good sense of humor
Recommended to Migul by: my little brother
I liked this comic because it had funny adventures, like the christmas tree of doom, and levitate. This is about a boy in a super hero world, but he has no powers, so he reads a book that's called 'how to fly', he suddenly learns, that al he needs is his magic blanket, so he puts it on as a cape. And he flies to school with a proud atitude. But lightning shocks G-man, it was Kid Thunder, the son of Captain Thunderman. To be continued...
Colleen AF Venable
How don’t more people know about this book?! From the creator of Mini-Marvels (which I LOVE). Crazy funny, and surprisingly realistic portrayal of what it’s like to not exactly get along with your sibling...well, plus a lot more super powers. My fav: The comics drawn by the characters themselves, scenes from two points of view. The “Stop Hitting Yourself!” one in particular is genius! (Strip #3 on this page: http://www.chrisgcomics.com/mbib.html)
First Second Books
Lissibith
Oct 04, 2012 Lissibith rated it really liked it
Let me start with this - if you like superheroes and you like to laugh, or at least grin and giggle a little bit, I recommend this series. G-Man and his brother, Great Man, are fledgeling superheroes, dealing with both the world of superheroics and the world of elementary school. The comedy is quite funny while being appropriate for children. this was an enjoyable read from start to finish.
Blake Petit
Sep 11, 2009 Blake Petit rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, fantastic comedy about kid superheroes. Giarrusso's goofy sense of humor makes every page of this book sharp, funny, and a wonder to behold. This is a truly rare comic -- it'll be just as funny for the adults as it will for the kids. If you miss Giarrusso's work on the Mini-Marvels, you need to pick this up.
Steph
Apr 28, 2016 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to rate this lower than a 3 because it's definitely a matter of personal opinion. I've finally gotten into graphic novels and this one reads more like a comic book, which apparently doesn't jive well with my comprehension skills or general interest. Would love to hear what a kid thought of this... For me, all over the place and hard to read.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I meant Chris Giarrusso at ALA and was wondering why I had not heard of his work prior to now. I picked up this one and found I really enjoyed the longer story and the single strips by the characters. The comic bits are more like reading a series of comic strips and though they were fun, I found myself wanting more of the longer story. Definitely will look for more of them.

Adrienne Furness
G-Man: We were about to decorate the tree, but it suddenly came to life and...
Great Man: Trees are already alive.
G-Man: Alright, it became sentient, mobile, and hostile. Then it smashed out the front here and stole the car.

Love this book.
Dru
Good art with some pretty good gags. My favorite part was how Giarrusso nails the brother's relationship, and their dad was classic. Superior to Tiny Titans in my opinion.
Snow
Oct 03, 2009 Snow rated it liked it
reviewing for Good Comics for Kids; read for NoveList recommended reading lists
Jacqui
G-Man is hilarious! And it has a pretty fun plot too. The characters are great. Full marks all round for G-man
Steven
Aug 18, 2013 Steven rated it really liked it
I'd never heard of this book before but am so glad I grabbed it from the library. My 3-year-old and I had a blast reading it and we'll be looking for more by Chris Giarrusso soon.
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2014
Omar
Omar rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Uufa
Uufa rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
mark whitear
mark whitear rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Kennady
Kennady rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Earthling!
  • Tiny Titans, Vol. 1: Welcome to the Treehouse
  • SMASH: Trial by Fire
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Big Bad Ironclad!
  • Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse
  • Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)
  • Bizarro Comics
  • Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1)
  • Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • Sleepless Knight
  • Herobear and the Kid Volume 1: The Inheritance
  • Toriko, Vol. 03
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • Stinky
  • Pirate Penguin Vs Ninja Chicken, Volume 1: Troublems with Frenemies
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Evil Penguin Plan
  • Lowriders in Space (Lowriders in Space, #1)
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas