Start by marking “The Little Red Elf” as Want to Read:
The Little Red Elf

The Little Red Elf

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Who will help the little red elf prepare for Christmas?

This clever retelling of "The Little Red Hen" features a little red elf and her lazy friends: the hare, the penguin, and the reindeer. When the cheerful elf can't get help planting the pinecones or decorating the Christmas tree, she knows just how to reward her friends.
Published July 1st 2009 by Charlesbridge

To ask other readers questions about The Little Red Elf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Red Elf

Kathryn
Jan 12, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

I was so charmed by the illustrations in this story, I think it boosted my enjoyment of the overall telling which I may not have enjoyed so much if not for such cute accompaniment, though it is still fun. Basically, this is a retelling of "The Little Red Hen" where the little red elf is the one busy making all the Christmas preparations magical and beautiful while her little animal friends laze away the days. Of course, they ultimately want to participate in the Christmas fun (when all
Gwen the Librarian
Jun 26, 2009 Gwen the Librarian rated it did not like it
Shelves: picturebooks
Okay, I was paging along in this Christmas-y version of The Little Red Hen and I LOVED it when the little red elf says (in essence) "You didn't help, now I get to open all the presents myself!" Perfect! This perfectly translates for modern children. AND THEN you turn the page and the animals are all crying because they want to open the presents and the little red elf says, "I'm sorry. Of course you can open the presents." The END. Okay. What is the lesson we've now learned from this formerly ins ...more
Rosa Cline
Oct 25, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
This is a charming Christmas story written in the format of the classic "The Little Red Hen"... a reindeer, penguin, and rabbit all lounge around and be lazy and doesn't help the Little Red Elf with all the work she has to do do get ready for the Christmas holiday. Each step along the way she asks for help and of course they all say no. At the end there is huge amounts of present and she asks who will help open these gifts and of course they all say "I will" but she stops them and explains they ...more
An Abundance of Books
Dec 23, 2011 An Abundance of Books rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Featured at An Abundance of Books

This book is so stinkin' CUTE! I can't believe it, it's adorable. Now, it's not like the world needs yet another version of the Little Red Hen, but this is a sweet Christmas version of the story and definitely worth the read. McGrath has integrated the holiday them nicely into her version of the tale. The little red elf is a really hard worker and she has some of the laziest friends in the North Pole.

Once upon a time, there was a reindeer, a penguin, a hare, and
Cara Reads Kids
Jan 13, 2015 Cara Reads Kids rated it liked it
Shelves: library
We were totally with these super cute illustrations and upbeat little elf, especially when she lost her shit on her lazy friends, until the last few pages. I see we're not the only ones to feel like we lost the way and/or missed something. We've never red The Little Red Hen, so maybe that's our issue.

Shayla
Jun 23, 2015 Shayla rated it really liked it
This book is about a little red elf who is like the little red hen, but with a Christmas twist. She is always asking for help and everyone always is telling her no. But when it comes time to open the presents everyone wants to do it, and she has to get after them.
I really like this book. The pictures are very cute, some of the creatures look like they have been sewn together, and that makes them even cuter. The text is great! And it teaches children the old lesson of helping people out.
I would
Amber Fisher
This fiction book tells a story of a Little Red Elf getting ready for christmas. She asks her friends to help in varies task but her friends couldn't be bothered to help and decide to play all day instead. The Little Red Elf doesn't mind at first and continues to do all the projects herself, however, when it came time to open presents and all her friends wanted to help, the Little Red Elf lost her temper. The readers could relate to this story by how they might act if they were asked to do somet ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
The Little Red Elf works hard. She keeps the workshop in order while her roommates (Reindeer, Penguin, and Hare) laze about sleeping and playing games. This behaviour goes on until Little Red Elf has enough. She's tired of doing all the work. Why should Reindeer, Penguin, and Hare get any gifts? She does relent and their gifts are very appropriate--they gets lots and lots of stuffed little red hens.

What I thought: A Christmas version of the Little Red Hen--how wonderful! This is a story I'd neve
Nielson
May 05, 2010 Nielson rated it liked it
Following the same story line as the Little Red Hen, this little red elf works the hardest of all at Santa's workshop, in fact she does it all! One day she finds a pine cone and asks who will help her plant it...and I'm sure you can guess the response! She does all of the work of planting, watering, cutting, and decorating the pine tree but when she asks who will help her unwrap all of the presents that are under the tree on Christmas morning, all her friends jump to help! If the reader hadn't h ...more
Bailey
Feb 22, 2016 Bailey rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-reads-books
Adorable book! Loved the illustrations! This story is pretty much retelling the little red hen story, but with an elf. I can't get over how cute the pictures are! I would read this book again.
Nell Adams
Jul 14, 2015 Nell Adams rated it really liked it
This is a cute Christmas book. A teacher can certainly use this around Christmas time to teach that a lot of hard work goes into Christmas and that they should help their parents with getting the tree ready and all the food. The illustrations are cute and detailed and attractive. They draw the readers eye to them and helps the reader imagine more about the book. The book is about a little red elf who lives with a reindeer, a penguin, and a hare. No one wants to help the little red elf so she doe ...more
Pam
Dec 16, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
This book is great, except the end was a bit weird. I'd like to own it someday!
Nevada Libert
Dec 12, 2014 Nevada Libert rated it really liked it
it is a kind of like the little red hen. but in a christmas vision. love it,
Nicole
Nov 08, 2011 Nicole rated it it was ok
A retelling of The Little Red Hen but with the Little Red Elf doing all the Christmas preparations. I wondered where the story would go since the lesson at the end of LRHen doesn't fit nicely with the spirit of Christmas. And it didn't work in this book either. First the LRElf says "No you can't open presents!" but then when the others cry she gives in and lets them. True there is a twist to their gifts, but it would take an astute picture book reader to make the connection to the lesson. But th ...more
Ashley
Nov 06, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-services
Dec 23, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
A story about generosity and giving, but I don't think the animals really learn their lesson in the end, if the little red elf gives in and gives them the presents anyway. Maybe there could have been a comment from the animals about how sorry they were about not helping and they will be helpful next time.
The Bougie Twins
Jan 09, 2015 The Bougie Twins rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Ashley Allen
This is a great folklore which I would read around Christmas time. I would use it to talk about all the hard work the elf did to get ready to christmas. Following this book I would read The Little Red Hen book to compare and contrast.
Nicole
Dec 11, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Set up like the Little Red Hen, the Little Red Elf looks to her companions reindeer, penguin, and hare to help her prepare for Christmas. Of course they are completely uninterested until the end :)
Kayla
Jan 16, 2012 Kayla rated it liked it
Christmas version of the Little Red Hen. I would have given it 4 stars, but not sure I love the ending. The dialogue between the characters is witty and enjoyable, and the illustrations are cute.
The Library Lady
Dec 04, 2009 The Library Lady rated it did not like it
The pictures have the "pwecious" quality of Joan Walsh Anglund and "Little Red Hen" joke ending flops badly. Grownups will get it, but kids won't. Bleh.
Kim
Feb 03, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
The pictures were great. The story line was easy to follow. But I don't know the story of the Little Red Hen, so the ending makes no sense at all.
Bisma Kureshy
Nov 24, 2012 Bisma Kureshy rated it really liked it
PB-34
A cute story and fun for the holidays! The little red elf teaches kids to be positive and to always have a attitude.
Melissa
Dec 24, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, storytime
Very cute little story that is another take on the little red hen story. Love the illustrations and the sassy penguin!
Loren
Jun 14, 2010 Loren rated it it was amazing
Love the holiday twist on the "litte red hen." Predictable and yet refreshing ... loved the ending.
Kathryn
Dec 18, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
The elf is adorable, the story is that of the little red hen....just didn't care of it.
Sunako
Jul 11, 2011 Sunako rated it it was amazing
A GREAT book!!!! The story is really funny and the illustrations are so LOVELY !!!
Magpie67
Silly twist on the Little Red Hen. Delightful and fun to read to a small child.
Bonnie
Jan 04, 2010 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, holiday
My favorite Christmas book this year! Adorable art along with a twinkly story.
Boni
Dec 28, 2009 Boni added it
Adorable art, great premise, but the ending was sort-of a letdown.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »