The Little Red Elf

The Little Red Elf

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Who will help the little red elf prepare for Christmas?

This clever retelling of "The Little Red Hen" features a little red elf and her lazy friends: the hare, the penguin, and the reindeer. When the cheerful elf can't get help planting the pinecones or decorating the Christmas tree, she knows just how to reward her friends.
Published July 1st 2009 by Charlesbridge

To ask other readers questions about The Little Red Elf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Red Elf

Cheryl in CC NV
Ok, reading the other reviews, some of which have visible spoilers, I see how the lesson at the end could be overlooked. But if you assume that young children are going to be reading this together with adults, I believe you can safely assume that the adult will point out the lesson to the children. And I also don't think you should underestimate children - they do understand a lot more than a lot of people give them credit for doing.

So, yeah, interesting version. Cute to the max pictures. Quite...more
Kathryn
4.5 STARS

I was so charmed by the illustrations in this story, I think it boosted my enjoyment of the overall telling which I may not have enjoyed so much if not for such cute accompaniment, though it is still fun. Basically, this is a retelling of "The Little Red Hen" where the little red elf is the one busy making all the Christmas preparations magical and beautiful while her little animal friends laze away the days. Of course, they ultimately want to participate in the Christmas fun (when all...more
Gwen the Librarian
Okay, I was paging along in this Christmas-y version of The Little Red Hen and I LOVED it when the little red elf says (in essence) "You didn't help, now I get to open all the presents myself!" Perfect! This perfectly translates for modern children. AND THEN you turn the page and the animals are all crying because they want to open the presents and the little red elf says, "I'm sorry. Of course you can open the presents." The END. Okay. What is the lesson we've now learned from this formerly ins...more
An Abundance of Books
Featured at An Abundance of Books

This book is so stinkin' CUTE! I can't believe it, it's adorable. Now, it's not like the world needs yet another version of the Little Red Hen, but this is a sweet Christmas version of the story and definitely worth the read. McGrath has integrated the holiday them nicely into her version of the tale. The little red elf is a really hard worker and she has some of the laziest friends in the North Pole.

Once upon a time, there was a reindeer, a penguin, a hare, and...more
Bridget R. Wilson
The Little Red Elf works hard. She keeps the workshop in order while her roommates (Reindeer, Penguin, and Hare) laze about sleeping and playing games. This behaviour goes on until Little Red Elf has enough. She's tired of doing all the work. Why should Reindeer, Penguin, and Hare get any gifts? She does relent and their gifts are very appropriate--they gets lots and lots of stuffed little red hens.

What I thought: A Christmas version of the Little Red Hen--how wonderful! This is a story I'd neve...more
Nielson
Following the same story line as the Little Red Hen, this little red elf works the hardest of all at Santa's workshop, in fact she does it all! One day she finds a pine cone and asks who will help her plant it...and I'm sure you can guess the response! She does all of the work of planting, watering, cutting, and decorating the pine tree but when she asks who will help her unwrap all of the presents that are under the tree on Christmas morning, all her friends jump to help! If the reader hadn't h...more
Nicole
A retelling of The Little Red Hen but with the Little Red Elf doing all the Christmas preparations. I wondered where the story would go since the lesson at the end of LRHen doesn't fit nicely with the spirit of Christmas. And it didn't work in this book either. First the LRElf says "No you can't open presents!" but then when the others cry she gives in and lets them. True there is a twist to their gifts, but it would take an astute picture book reader to make the connection to the lesson. But th...more
Ashley
A story about generosity and giving, but I don't think the animals really learn their lesson in the end, if the little red elf gives in and gives them the presents anyway. Maybe there could have been a comment from the animals about how sorry they were about not helping and they will be helpful next time.
Ashley Allen
This is a great folklore which I would read around Christmas time. I would use it to talk about all the hard work the elf did to get ready to christmas. Following this book I would read The Little Red Hen book to compare and contrast.
Nicole
Set up like the Little Red Hen, the Little Red Elf looks to her companions reindeer, penguin, and hare to help her prepare for Christmas. Of course they are completely uninterested until the end :)
Kayla
Christmas version of the Little Red Hen. I would have given it 4 stars, but not sure I love the ending. The dialogue between the characters is witty and enjoyable, and the illustrations are cute.
The Library Lady
The pictures have the "pwecious" quality of Joan Walsh Anglund and "Little Red Hen" joke ending flops badly. Grownups will get it, but kids won't. Bleh.
Kim
The pictures were great. The story line was easy to follow. But I don't know the story of the Little Red Hen, so the ending makes no sense at all.
Bisma Kureshy
PB-34
A cute story and fun for the holidays! The little red elf teaches kids to be positive and to always have a attitude.
Melissa
Very cute little story that is another take on the little red hen story. Love the illustrations and the sassy penguin!
Loren
Love the holiday twist on the "litte red hen." Predictable and yet refreshing ... loved the ending.
Kathryn
The elf is adorable, the story is that of the little red hen....just didn't care of it.
Sunako
A GREAT book!!!! The story is really funny and the illustrations are so LOVELY !!!
Magpie67
Silly twist on the Little Red Hen. Delightful and fun to read to a small child.
Bonnie
My favorite Christmas book this year! Adorable art along with a twinkly story.
Boni
Dec 28, 2009 Boni added it
Adorable art, great premise, but the ending was sort-of a letdown.
Susan
The pictures are cute but the ending's a little odd...
Sam Bloom
Fun holiday variation on Little Red Hen.
Samantha Hastings
A fun twist on the Little Red Hen story.
Yara
Very cute take-off on The Little Red Hen.
Zack
Just all around good holiday fun.
Claira
It's really cute!
Gina
Gina added it
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Counting Book More M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Math The Little Green Witch Teddy Bear Counting The Little Gray Bunny