Start by marking “The Final Four of Everything” as Want to Read:
The Final Four of Everything

The Final Four of Everything

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In American Bracketology , Mark Reiter and Richard Sandomir take the elegant art of “bracketology” and use it as an eye- opening and hilarious tool to celebrate everything that’s good, bad, and silly in our American way of life.

• It’s great entertainment: Americans have an insatiable appetite for knowing what is good, bett
Published May 5th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published March 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Four of Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Four of Everything

Susan
May 10, 2007 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: listmakers
Someone asks you, "What's your favorite food?"; you quickly answer "Spaghetti", because it's at the tip of your tongue. But then you start thinking...what about pizza? what about cheese fondue? what about donuts (and are they actually "doughnuts")? This is where you need bracketology. Yes, the system used in sports playoffs. With bracketology, you can put pizza against cheese fondue (and all of your other favorites) and really get to the heart of which is your absolute favorite, which favorite k ...more
Christiana
I looked at this mostly to help with our teen question of the week questions, and I think it delivers on that. I think the answers are mostly arguable and arbitrary, but that's ok. That's why it's a coffee table book. My favorites were:

• Favorite animated character (#3)
• Emoticons (29)
• Popular hairstyles (45)
• Most likely item to survive the 21st century (meaning an invention we’ll still use in the future, no matter what) (#51)
• Best sidekick (82)

Hoyadaisy
Some of the brackets are really, really funny. I did end up skimming because so many of the brackets were just not interesting to me. Note to the editor: Maybe do individual bracket books on themes (sports, sex, literature); also do fewer brackets because it's the commentary that's the funny part (the way this is done you get four or five comments for the whole bracket).
Laela
Fun, but somewhat dated at this point.
Mark Dickson
Much of the bracketing was silliness, but there were a few

best white/red wines
cheeses
American brews
mondegreens (misheard song lyrics)
American plays
Shakespeare plays adapted for film

that made the brackets fun! Lots of sports, music, and movie trivia that would make good party games.
Monica Quintanilla
Aug 14, 2007 Monica Quintanilla rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bathrooms
Fun, the idea of pitting all your favorites against each other March Madness style. Experts on subjects outlining the choices, like best bald guy, dog, and wine. It's kind of addictive, after I read it, it was hard not to think of things in those terms.
Emily
This book was on the bookshelf in the beach house we stayed in on vacation. It was fun, light reading. We found that we didn't always agree with the author's choices though. It makes for some fun discussion!
Tim
Jan 02, 2008 Tim rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I can't remember why I bought this book, but I do
know that I wish I didn't. I guess I thought it might
be cute, but it actually turns out to be trifling.

Even too trifling for a coffee table.
Martin
Thoroughly enjoyable, perfect-for-the-commode time-waster. There's something here for everybody. Don't like one of the topics? There are 149 others to pick from. Plain fun.
Kendra
Aug 07, 2007 Kendra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sports lovers; anyone who loves listmaking & March Madness
Just got this as a birthday gift. It will undoubtedly fuel my complete obsession with my favorite sports contest -- the NCAA men's basketbal tourney. Bring on your picks!
Jen
Not all of the topics covered in this book were interesting, but some made me laugh pretty hard. At the very least, this book could spark some good conversations.
Frank
The concept is fun... and it's worth a quick flip through, but most of the seedings and "results" seem far too arbitrary to warrant further attention.
Beth
It's interesting to find out what will "win" in these brackets. Kind of crazy stuff mentioned, but entertaining.
Kevin Hodgson
An interesting and humorous look at topics -- in style of March Madness brackets
Samantha
Pop culture and brackets. What's not to love?
CMH
CMH marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Steve Pearl
Steve Pearl marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Martha
Martha added it
Nov 07, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be Ciò che ti ha portato qui non ti farà andare avanti - Come evitare le 20 cattive abitudini che possono ostacolare la carriera