Start by marking “So You Want to Be a Librarian” as Want to Read:
So You Want to Be a Librarian

So You Want to Be a Librarian

Librarians tend to love their work and consider librarianship a great career. This book is by a talented librarian who wants to introduce people, especially people searching for the right career, to the profession. It answers such questions as: What do librarians do? What are the different types of libraries and professional jobs in libraries? What are librarians all about ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Library Juice Press (first published 2009)

Molly
Oct 05, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grad-school, 2009
Overall, I think this is an excellent resource for anyone pursuing a career as a librarian. As a library school student, I think she does a very accurate and honest job of telling you what it is like and her tips for school survival are great. If she is this good at describing the school experience, I think it is safe to assume her advice and discussion for the actual work of being a librarian is accurate as well.
Lucy
Nov 27, 2016 Lucy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I've been going back and forth for months about whether I'd rather get an MLIS degree or try to pursue my photography professionally, and this book tipped the scales for me in favor of librarianship. Lauren Pressley offers a broad introduction to the field that gives a good sense of the variety of options available for library work, as well as the challenges and rewards of the profession. I wanted a bit more detail in some places, especially later on in the book, but I finished it feeling that I ...more
Kate
May 05, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
There were a few useful bits of information in here, but overall, I didn't feel like I learned very much. I wish it had gone more in depth on some subjects. Instead, there were a few that felt like they were repeated over and over in each chapter.
Heather
Oct 25, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Good introduction to librarianship. However, it was a bit repetitive.
Shay Vande
Jun 16, 2017 Shay Vande rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely the perfect book for helping someone interested in librarianship learn about the career and how to get the position they want.

This book started by talking about the different types of libraries and the different library jobs within libraries. Then it discussed what a Masters in Library Science is and how to go about picking a Library school and what you would need to get into it and how to make the most of your experience.

There were tons of resources at the end of each chapter
Amber
May 08, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-kindle
I read this book because I have been toying with the idea of changing fields to libriarianship these past few years, and am now researching it in earnest. This book is truly an excellent resource for anyone considering moving to the field of librarianship. The first section of the book provides detail about the many specialties and subdivisions of librarianship, and highlights many of the issues facing the field. The latter portion of the book deals more with the MLIS- how to choose a program, t ...more
Leann
Feb 27, 2015 Leann rated it really liked it
Obviously by the title one can see what I am striving to become. Even though I have done my share of research on librarianship, it is always nice to read others thoughts also. I really enjoyed So You Want to Be a Librarian. The information was straight forward and the extras and links at the end of most of the chapters were much appreciated. I will possibly refer back to this book for reference more as I search out my path while applying to grad school and picking my area that I want to speciali ...more
Lesley Looper
I really enjoyed reading this book as I prepare to apply for library science school! While the overview of different types a libraries was mostly a refresher for me, as a current library employee, I appreciated the review of how expansive the field of librarianship is. I especially enjoyed the interviews of librarians in different areas of librarianship, and the list of recommended websites in the back of the book is quite good.
l.
Jun 15, 2014 l. rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
I had hoped this book would help me decide whether I should article, go to library school, or choose something entirely different... no such luck. It didn't really improve my understanding of what being a librarian entails at all - the information was all fairly obvious, which is not really a comfort given that I knew what being a lawyer would entail but had no way of predicting my extreme contempt for the profession.
Trevor Vass
Feb 21, 2015 Trevor Vass rated it really liked it
Provides a great introduction to the world of libraries and librarianship for those contemplating a career in the field. Having recently been accepted to an MLIS program myself, I feel like this book has helped to give me a sense for the opportunities that await. I found the interviews at the end of the book to be the perfect complement to the overview provided in the rest. Highly recommended.
Samantha
Jan 22, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014-read
Good, comprehensive information and resources. The book is in serious need of a proofreader; far too many sentences have missing or extraneous words. I liked the informational interviews from many aspects of librarianship at the end.
Curtis Tenney
Insightful

This book offers nice information and thoughts on thinking about becoming a librarian. Unfortunately it is very repetitive and could have used some more editing before publishing. (Typos!!!)
amy
May 21, 2013 amy rated it liked it
So you're a 16-year-old who wants to be a librarian...
Useful overview of the profession for younger folk than I. But it's now four years old and needs an update.
Sep 08, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
useful and informative. This book gave me everything I needed to know about the different kinds of librarians, different kinds of libraries, and how and where to start to get a master's degree.
Nancy
(More like 3.5 stars, I think.)

Though the book itself is a little repetitive and ultimately geared towards those younger than myself, it provides what I hope is a decent overview of the profession.
Amy
Apr 28, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bios-nonfiction
Awesome resource!
Christina
Aug 02, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
Great layout of the profession and the different paths available in librarianship
Cassie
Oct 24, 2011 Cassie rated it it was ok
It had some helpful advice, but the lady needs to get a better editor. SO. MANY. TYPOS.
Elise
Nov 16, 2013 Elise rated it really liked it
Highly recommended for people interested in or curious about what librarians do. It offers relevant and helpful information on librarianship as well as practical advice on how to join the profession.
Annie
Jun 01, 2013 Annie rated it liked it
Well, probably not anymore.
Megan Westman
Megan Westman rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Mee
Mee rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2013
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2017
Maddog
Maddog rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Mindy Marie Sandoval
Mindy Marie Sandoval rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Cilla Savary
Cilla Savary rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Megan Barnhart
Megan Barnhart rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2010
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • What They Don't Teach You in Library School
  • Questioning Library Neutrality: Essays from Progressive Librarian
  • Make a Name for Yourself: Eight Steps Every Woman Needs to Create a Personal Brand Strategy for Success
  • The Case for Books: Past, Present, and Future