Start by marking “At the Queen's Summons (Tudor Rose, #3)” as Want to Read:
At the Queen's Summons (Tudor Rose,  #3)

At the Queen's Summons (Tudor Rose #3)

Librarian's Note: Reprint of Dancing on Air, Jan 1996, ISBN-13: 9780061081453, ISBN-10: 0061081450

Feisty orphan Pippa de Lacey lives by wit and skill as a London street performer. But when her sharp tongue gets her into serious trouble, she throws herself upon the mercy of Irish chieftain Aidan O'Donoghue.

Pippa provides a welcome diversion for Aidan as he awaits an audienc
Published September 29th 2009 by Mira (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about At the Queen's Summons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Queen's Summons

Cerapearl
This book was nearly a 4 rating, but lost some of my interest around 60%.

(view spoiler)
Melissa
Apr 01, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
I know, within me, there is a kind of prejudice against pulp romance. I inwardly berate myself that there are loftier more meaningful books to read. However, if I look upon reading as an entertainment rather than a conduit for purifying my soul and my intellect; I can truly enjoy the read.

This Romance/Historical Fiction is so entertaining; it must be more than pulp. Although the romantic hero's role is a worn out motif, the heroine's story is original although a bit predictable on one occasion.

I
Chris
Dec 21, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
At the Queen's Summons is the story of Pippa. Pippa has lived a solitary life on the streets thriving to survive on a quest to find her parents. As a toddler Pippa was rescued by an old crone after nearly drowning. Not knowing her own name or whether she was lost or abandoned, Pippa yearns to belong. She crosses pathes with the irish Chieftan Aiden O'Donoghue. Who out of curiosity takes her under his wing and offers his protection. This story is humorous and heartwrenching. It's a tearful love ...more
TJ
Jan 24, 2010 TJ rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed all three of Wigg's "Tudor Rose" trilogy. She weaves historical facts into the emotions and characters of the story so well that one not only reads history but feels it. The romance aspect is also wonderful, not too syrupy but fulfilling.
Liz
Dec 09, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: henry VIII fans
Recommended to Liz by: self
Vanessa Montês
Jul 03, 2014 Vanessa Montês rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meu, ebook
(...)

Gostei muito mais deste livro do que estava à espera. Acho que grande parte da razão disso ter acontecido está relacionado com o facto de a personagem principal não vir de famílias importantes. Era uma rapariga habituada a ser um rato de esgoto e a que todos a olhassem de lado, sendo que quando Aidan a "adota" acaba por criar uma verdadeira afinidade com este porque nota que ele se preocupada verdadeiramente com ela, algo que nunca lhe tinha acontecido. Além disso Pippa é uma pessoa diverti
Yumru
Nov 08, 2013 Yumru rated it really liked it
Bir seri daha bitti,Pegasus bu yazarın diğer kitaplarını da çıkarmaya devam eder umarım.Yazarın tarzını seviyorum ama maalesefki ikinci kitabın çevirisinden dolayı bir çok okuyucu kitabı ya almadı yada yarım bıraktı.

Kitaba gelirsek güzel ve değişik bir hikayeydi,karakterlerden Pippa bayan karaktere bayıldım sayesin de bol bol kahkaha attım.O koca adamı evirip çevirdi desem yeridir lafları ile tabi:))) Aidan ise iyilik meleği desem daha doğru olur herkese yardım ederken kendini geri planlara atab
Lauren
Aug 18, 2014 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This book was possibly the most underwhelming of the 3, as a series, I didn't find the books very compelling, and this was probably the worst of the three. The Irish flair was mildly amusing, but the implausibility of Pippa's estrangement from her family was just tedious. Additionally, the reader was again confronted with the aging of previous couples in these books, and I prefer to imagine my romance couple living forever-call me naive if you must.

Ultimately there are better romance books out
Yukino
Sep 14, 2013 Yukino rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miei, 2013
Susan
Jun 20, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Susan Wiggs weaves a wonderful witty and intricate story. I love all of the characters and their interactions. Even though you know in your heart what is going to happen (I like that it has a happy ending) you cannot wait to see how things are going to happen. I cannot put it down once I start. I love Pippa, her strength and logical head. I did feel that the end happened to abruptly. I would have liked to have more details another chapter maybe. I think there was more to tell.
There is some intim
Angie
Jun 08, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book! I bought it at an airport to read on a trip and never got around to it. I picked it up between book club books and had trouble putting it down!

It takes a refreshing twist on the usual historical romance. While some of the plot twists are somewhat predictable they are what we expect from romances. The character of Pippa is hilarious and I often found myself laughing out loud at her bawdy antics.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a book that is fast paced
Nancy Brady
The third of the Tudor Rose trilogy finds the next generation of the de Laceys. Pippa, an irrepressible young woman who doesn't know who she is or where she came from, comes under the protection of an Irish chieftain, Aidan O'Donoghue when he is summoned to London to see Queen Elizabeth. But more is in store for both of them as love (and Irish/English tensions) grow between them. Will Pippa ever find her family? Will Aidan lose his life because of the hostilities?
Carolyn Tye
Jun 05, 2016 Carolyn Tye rated it liked it
Of the three in the series, this was my favorite. I like Pippa, the main character. I also like that the sex scenes were in the context of marriage. However, I wish more had been left to my imagination. This was a book I kept worrying that my kids kids would pick up and read the wrong parts.

Also, the book does not mesh with the teaser in #2's epilogue. I am left with some questions.
Kristine
Feb 27, 2010 Kristine rated it liked it
Sara
Nov 28, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
I had the misfortune of not being able to tell where this book fell in the series before reading it, so I ended up reading this one first, despite its being the last book in the trilogy. For what it's worth - I did not feel as though I had missed anything by not reading the previous books. This would have worked just fine as a stand-alone novel, and I am hoping that the other two books in the trilogy are equally as enjoyable.
Jul 29, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
It wasn't what I was expecting. I will admit that.
It was so well written. I felt like I was there, at times.
Though, the "journal entries" and what-not really, to me, pulled away from the story.
They didn't seem to really matter.

I hate that, at the end, they ran away.
That doesn't sound like the Irish to me. They stand and fight.
Lindsay
Apr 08, 2013 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Okay, I actually like this book. It's not your usual royalty and fancy dresses historical romance. Instead, it features a London orphan/street performer who has an unlikely, but predictable run-in with an Irish Lord. There are a few roll-your-eyes moments such as when Pippa is surprisingly beautiful when she is given the first bath of her life, but overall, it's a fun romp.
Vivianne
Jan 16, 2011 Vivianne rated it really liked it
Very nice setting and the characters were really nice.Finally the book flows nicely until the end. Probably the best novel of the trilogy as a whole was not extraordinary but very nice.
Also for the trilogy as a whole, I must admit, however, that could perhaps be a little better, maybe I expected too much ... I do not know.
Y
Jul 28, 2016 Y rated it really liked it
Would have given this a 5. The story was fun, really built up their relationship, then got anti climactic when they finally got together, and the ending was a bit of a mess and anti climactic as well. They were so sweet.
Thalia
May 18, 2013 Thalia rated it really liked it
Shelves: tudor
I do believe this was the best of the 3. Again one must suspend disbelief at times, such is the requirement if romance novels, but the twists and clever dialogue was enough to keep turning the pages.
Andita
Sep 03, 2016 Andita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series was...

Different sine it spanned a generation or two. The characters were great in the story but the repeats to the series were hard to remember. It did not take away any enjoyment in reading the book. I'm looking forward to more from this author.
Maria Schoville
Apr 03, 2016 Maria Schoville rated it really liked it
Was worried about how it would end, but I was not disappointed. They had found true love. In the beginning, I did wish the connection between the characters from the prior two stories was written in sooner.
Lauri
Jul 25, 2010 Lauri rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Great characters and funny dialog. Had a little trouble understanding the historical context at first as its been a long time since I read a book about this time period. Will definitely look for the other books in this series.
Amos
Nov 03, 2015 Amos rated it liked it
Books found 8-5-2010 by Susan’s Bed posted GoodReads 8-9-2010
Added to my “to Read piles”…
"Read before"
Joycee
Feb 22, 2013 Joycee rated it it was ok
It seemed a pleasant, sweet story. What seemed like major misunderstandings could, I suppose, in modern times have possibly been avoided by more communication. But the ending felt triumphant!
Lacey Ridenhour
Jul 01, 2014 Lacey Ridenhour rated it liked it
This was my favorite book of the three. There were so many funny moments and I do love large Irishmen
Rosa
Jun 18, 2014 Rosa rated it it was amazing
I read all books in The Tudor Rose series and it's about men and women dared to risk everything for love. Susan Wiggs is a wonderful writer!
Brooke Pfannkuche-swain
Dec 12, 2014 Brooke Pfannkuche-swain rated it it was amazing
This is the final in a great series. Really enjoyed the writing style, loved the heroines, wonderful love stories.
Ashli Montgomery
Feb 17, 2010 Ashli Montgomery rated it really liked it
Shelves: moms-closet
This is my favorite of the three Tudor Rose books...I think Pippa is honest and brave and very funny!
Academicsupport
Jan 22, 2011 Academicsupport rated it really liked it
Susan Wiggs remains one of my favorite authors in both contemporary and historical fiction. The three generations of the Elizabethan de Laceys made for good escapist reading!
  • Naughty by Nature (Carlisle Family, #3)
  • Virgin Slave, Barbarian King
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)
  • New and... Improved? / Andrew in Excess (Harlequin Duets, #28)
  • Taming the Wolf (de Burgh, #1)
  • By Royal Decree (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #3)
  • Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens
  • Master of Seduction (Sea Wolves, #1)
  • Silk and Secrets (Silk Trilogy, #2)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • The Least Likely Bride (Bride, #3)
  • A Dangerous Love (deWarenne Dynasty, #9)
  • The Winter Queen (Tudor Queens, #1)
  • The Queen's Mistake (In the Court of Henry VIII, #2)
  • The Queen's Lady (Graham, #7)
  • King's Fool: A Notorious King, His Six Wives, and the One Man Who Knew All Their Secrets
  • Blaze Wyndham (Wyndham Saga, #1)
  • Mark of the Rose (Tudor Vampire Chronicles, #3)
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...

Tudor Rose (3 books)
  • At the King's Command (Tudor Rose, #1)
  • The Maiden's Hand (Tudor Rose #2)