Start by marking “Ray of the Star” as Want to Read:
Ray of the Star

Ray of the Star

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Set in a dream-like European city reminiscent of Barcelona, along a boulevard teeming with artists who perform as living statues, comes the beautiful and frightening story of a man running from his past, a woman consumed by grief, and the forces that pursue them both.

New to the city, Harry is drawn to the boulevard, and particularly to Solange, a silent, silver angel awash
Published September 1st 2009 by Coffee House Press

To ask other readers questions about Ray of the Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ray of the Star

Brent Legault
I normally get all moisty-mouthed over Laird Hunt's novels but I'm dry like a ShamWow after finishing this one. There are a few fine lines to be plucked from its pages but they are lodged in an unappetizing aspic and hardly worth unearthing.
Elizabeth Frankie Rollins
Deliciously rich in mystery (or maybe explanations) and nuance and character and hurts in the way that it reveals (again!) how being human means sometimes: grave pain.
Juan Carlos
An interview of Laird Hunt's I read revealed he had a formal intention with the book: write these one-sentence chapters that run for pages a time. The constraint exercise was enough to make me love this book (I'm an ardent fan of form driving content sometimes) particularly because Hunt fashioned this one-off style on Jose Saramago's almost gluttonous sentences, and I adore Saramago -- read everything of his, in fact, but his last book Cain. Beyond form, Ray of the Star (apparent now after readi ...more
oriana
Oct 14, 2009 oriana marked it as to-read
from the powells.com review: [But:] it's not all tragedy repercussions. Harry and Solange -- the silver woman -- fall for each other while being pushed around the city together, lying down inside the yellow submarine. There's no question that Hunt is taking a risk; it's a narrow line between the bizarre and a quirky cleverness, but Hunt walks it well. The comedic asides and quirky moments work to leaven the sorrow in a way that both provides relief and simultaneously amplifies the sadness. The f ...more
Paul
Sep 06, 2009 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Another book from Laird is a real treat. This one seems especially so. I like good old-fashioned ghost stories, but new-fashioned ones are good too. Which is what this is. And it hurtles with those long sentences, really long sentences, into a warped Catalonian street with more than just living statues, but stories that could possibly go forever. But they all only get one sentence. That is sad. But pretty sweet too. Like lychee sweet, more than peach sweet.
Andrew
Best book about talking shoes I've ever read.

But seriously, this book is weird, portentous, hypnotic, and, as soon as you get a feel for Hunt's long cartwheeling sentences, hard to put down.
Gabriel
James Gibbons's review in the latest BookForum pretty well sums up my own take on this book.
Nov 15, 2009 Sarah is currently reading it
This is good nighttime reading, micro dreamlike chapters. A kind of fiction, but nothing
predictable, as the beautiful strange sentences accumulate.
Dustin Luke Nelson
The language here is fantastic. I really enjoyed this.
Dustin Kurtz
Rather loved it.
Charm Matyson
Charm Matyson marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Kayiane
Kayiane marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Alicia L
Alicia L marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Sergey Osipov
Sergey Osipov marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
J
J marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Kristen Sabol
Kristen Sabol marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Kaushik Viswanath
Kaushik Viswanath marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Liv
Liv marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sarah Berkley
Sarah Berkley marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Bojan
Bojan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014