Start by marking “Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The complete guide to the use of aromatic oils in aromatherapy, herbalism, health and well-being” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  581 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This is one of the bestselling aromatherapy books of all time with vital information on plant origins, medical herbalism and the properties and actions of herbs and essential oils. It covers 165 oils, their actions, characteristics, principal constituents and folk traditions and is a must for experienced aromatherapists and beginners alike.

This essential handbook is used b
Published September 25th 2014 by Harper Thorsons (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of Essential Oils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of Essential Oils

What's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LovePaleo from A to Z by Darryl EdwardsPaleo Fitness by Darryl EdwardsThe Miracle Diet by Susan Ford CollinsSlim And Healthy You by Sahara Sanders
Best Health Care Books
13th out of 67 books — 57 voters
Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs by Claire KowalchikThe Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann WorwoodCulpeper's Complete Herbal by Nicholas CulpeperA Modern Herbal by Margaret GrieveThe New Holistic Herbal by David Hoffmann
Herbs & Herbals
9th out of 70 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Jaime
Jul 13, 2015 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A good beginners guide to Essential Oils, i really like the guide at the back where you can check which oils are used for something like a headache or muscle pain instead of searching through each oil looking for the right one. I will probably read a few other books on essential oils not just this one. And i was slightly disappointed to see no blend recipes. I prefer to use natural remedy's if i can instead of chemical filled pills that only do more harm than good. But this is definitely a book ...more
Michelle
Jan 13, 2013 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: aromatherapy
Beautiful book, pleasure to view, but contains erroneous information. Author often draws conclusions about therapeutic properties of essential oils based on data from herbalism, not aromatherapy. Essential oils can have radically different therapeutic properties than their parent plant matter. Enjoyable as an introductory book but not accurate enough to serve as an aromatherapy reference.
Dec 21, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those interested in utilizing aromatherapy in their home and/or progress to formal aroma-education
Recommended to Jessica by: an aromatherapist in Sedona
good to have on the shelf as a general reference. i would have preferred greater standardization of the formatting within the EO profiles--keep the same colored boxes for the same tidbits. it's layout is similar to most DK Eyewitness books. the EO profiles are not in alphabetical order per common names which is another sticking point for me.
Susan Brougher
May 06, 2016 Susan Brougher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to find an accurate reference for essential oils that also incorporates the herbal/folk tradition. It provides a broader education for those practicing aromatherapy, going a step beyond the many available essential oil and aromatherapy books. The beautiful plant pictures and the layout with different colored sections highlighting the information made it an easy enjoyable read, not to mention a wonderful keepsake. This book includes essential oils for body systems, mind, and emotions a ...more
Saleris
It's a nice book to keep on a shelf when you're not having a good day remembering basic information. If you're a beginner, it's a good book to buy. If you're a professional, you won't want this book unless you're the type that wants all the books on aromatherapy "just because".
Heather
Jan 04, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: herbal
contains history of herbal and essential oil usage (including a welcome disclaimer regarding the term aromatherapy), how oils affect bodily systems, summary of various oil applications with guidelines, blending tips and extraction information. the main bulk of the book is an extensive list of oils with biological data, plant description and distribution, historical use, oil properties and safety info (including blending tips), and general application tips. a therapeutic index lists ailments with ...more
Janis
Dec 28, 2014 Janis rated it it was amazing
Now THIS is a wonderful book on the topic of essential oils!

Without prevention or pseudo-science, the author shares the history of essential oils, explains what they are in a descriptive manner so we all know immediately what she is talking about, includes an alphabetized guide to different essential oils, and lists ones that are said to help with a variety of bodily woes.

This is a great guide for those interested in using essential oils. I see there is an updated edition available as an ebook--
Lea
Nov 08, 2014 Lea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This illustrated encyclopedia is wonderful. I particularly enjoy the photos and sketches of the plants and the photos of the color of the essential oils. This adds a wealth of information that is not available in other texts.

This book is in three parts: An Introduction to Aromatics, Therapeutic Index and The Oils. The first section gives the reader and introduction to aromatherapy including history and how essential oils work with the systems of the body. There is a wealth of information and ea
Shirley
Nov 24, 2013 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julia Lawless has written a concise encyclopedia of essential oils. I was delighted to receive my copy as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

I enjoyed the first six chapters that introduce the reader to the history of aromatherapy and to the present day applications for therapeutic use. There is a therapeutic index and general glossary that readers will find useful at the end of the book.

I appreciated the laymen's descriptions under each oil on their uses. I was a sometimes overwhelmed by the termino
Carmelita White
Nov 14, 2014 Carmelita White rated it it was amazing
This is a reference book that has great illustrations and information on essential oils and the plants, herbs, flowers, etc. from which they are distilled.
Darlene Carelli
Another aide in learning about essential oils. I cured my bursitis in my hip, with patience and the right oils and no medicine.
Konrad
Dec 17, 2015 Konrad marked it as to-read
amazing info
Wendy Hudson
I received a copy of this book from a GoodReads contest/giveaway. Book offers a good number of plants and their botanical classifications. It also has a separate section which lists which of them can be used to treat common and not so common problems in the body. However, this book alone will not help you with essential oils. There are no recipes or anecdotes. Book is in black and white. Colored pictures or drawings would help with identifying plants in the wild.
Katherine
Nov 30, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone willing to try!
Recommended to Katherine by: My nanna
I borrowed this book from my Nanna to take notes on, particularly on the Lavender section as I knew it's meant to be good for de-stressing but not much else. She had bought it as she has a few minor health problems, and said after that it's fantastic. Not only does it tell you what a plant would be useful for but it also gives guidance on how to administer it effectively. A must for any level of aromatherapist or herbalist!
Lady Krystal
Apr 15, 2015 Lady Krystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book that I've read thus far on essential oils. I was able to use this book to further my knowledge about essential oils common and uncommon. I've been getting more into using essential oils for natural remedies, and this book helped to make my novice self feel like an experienced professional. I will be purchasing this book, and I would recommend it to eco beauties such as myself.
Busyasab
Mar 30, 2014 Busyasab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed and Excellent resource using Aromatic Oils in Aromatherapy! Easy to use volume lets you access essential information in a variety of ways with a Therapeutic Index, a Botanical Index, and Botanical Classifications, plus safety information. Love, love, love the medicinal uses provided in this AWESOME book!
mathilda_craft
Heard so many good things about this book just browsin' through the internet. Bought it because I need an encyclopedia about aromatherapy and herbalism (I'm hoping it can help soothe me during these kidney stone days).

Still waiting on it... I think I'm gonna have to bug the seller. :/
Jan 07, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Very basic book covering oils.
Keren
Dec 30, 2007 Keren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a thorough history of aromatics along with description of each oil by name. Latin names, method of extraction, uses, home use, etc. The only book you need to get you started with aromatics.
Iain Watson
The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to the Use of Aromatics in Aromatherapy, Herbalism, Health and Well-Being (Health Workbooks) by Julia Lawless (1992)
good reference.

there's some things i personally would have formatted differently. overall, similar set-up to DK eyewitness books.
Elaine
The images are outstanding! If you're looking for a guide to the use of oils in aromatherapy and herbalism, highly, recommend this one.
Ht
Mar 07, 2010 Ht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is a reference book. Great illustrations and information on basic essential oils.
Kellie
Apr 02, 2008 Kellie marked it as to-read
Just had an aromatherapy class. Much more interesting than I thought it would be!
Tammy Tolar
I bought this book in 1999 and absolutely love it! I use it every few days!
Debbie Carnes
Nov 14, 2013 Debbie Carnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book has so much great information, I will be using it all the time.

Kathleen
A digital book that went back to the library before I could finish.
Fostergrants
Oct 17, 2007 Fostergrants rated it liked it
i liked the way this book was organized by season.
Kristen
  • The Aromatherapy Bible: The Definitive Guide to Using Essential Oils
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • The Complete Medicinal Herbal
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • Aromatherapy: An A-Z: The Most Comprehensive Guide to Aromatherapy Ever Published
  • The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind & Body
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • 500 Formulas for Aromatherapy: Mixing Essential Oils for Every Use
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Essential Oils Desk Reference
  • The Complete Book of Herbs: A Practical Guide to Growing and Using Herbs
  • The Herbal Home Remedy Book: Simple Recipes for Tinctures, Teas, Salves, Tonics, and Syrups
  • Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine