Start by marking “I am Muslim” as Want to Read:
I am Muslim

I am Muslim

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  204 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A collection of essays by a Malaysian columnist on her relationship with her faith in an urban multicultural Muslim-dominated country.
237 pages
Published by Silverfish Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I am Muslim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am Muslim

Mas
Oct 21, 2010 Mas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bold thinkers who understood themselves
Liberal piece of writing.
I think it's alright -- not exactly an inspiring piece I was expecting.

A tad too liberal for older generations who have trouble accepting different ways than theirs.

I didn't take this book too seriously. I accept the author's view and some might contradict mine, but I can live with it. It's not like I'm gonna fatally stone her, although I must say, in some places, she would be, just sayin'.

The author described the book as stories from her selfish journey understanding Is
Nur Fatin Atiqah
14 June 2013.

Actually I have written a review on this book upon finishing the book but the internet connection was effing slow that day so I couldn't submit the review, hence I am writing this review again, today.

First of all, I DO ENJOY READING THIS BOOK! YAY!

Aunty Dina Zaman was so hilarious, funny and witty in her own way. I like her arguments. I like the way she puts her points and elaborates them in her own way. Even though most of the articles was written around 5-6 years ago, but I still
Cik Aini
This book revolves around the writer's self journey in discovering Islam & strengthening her faith. As she struggles with herself, and her soul searching, Dina wrote about reflections of Malay Muslims' community. She started her writings with thought provoking writings but she hit the nail right, and her writings seemed like true reflections of our daily life.

There are many issues that Dina dealt with, for example, some Muslims who don headscarf, just out of custom or tradition, but if asked
Syuhadah
Jul 03, 2015 Syuhadah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fi-nal-ly!!! Khatam!
Tomoko
Jun 12, 2012 Tomoko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is her collection of writings on Islam and Muslims in Malaysia. I find it to be a quasi-autobiographical view on her experiences and others whom she had encountered.

Growing up in Malaysia (big bad city of KL), I accept things as they are. I believe that we were a liberal and secular society amidst religious practices around us. It wasn't until I had a road trip around Semenanjung and visited smaller kampungs and observed the majority of Malaysians and that changed my views.

I'm only halfwa
Suraya Nordin
Mar 22, 2013 Suraya Nordin rated it it was ok
It took me a long long long time to finish this book because I put it on hangover rack. Actually, I bought this book because my lecturer asked me to read more on Malaysian writer. As I read this book and I adore Dina Zaman for her courage to tell her opinion about Muslim, to be specified, Malay, openly. She might be condemned by others but I think what she wrote is what are actually happening nowadays. However, I do not recommend this book to others or my friend. I am afraid, those who already i ...more
lynne naranek
Mar 01, 2009 lynne naranek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Certainly not claiming to be an authority on Islam, "I am Muslim" is an admittedly selfish journey by Dina to explore what it means to be Malay and Muslim in Malaysia, and how they often seem contradictory.

Her tale about accompanying a friend to visit Uncle Din, a supposedly 100-year old bomoh well-versed in Siam, Muslim, Malay and shamanistic knowledge, was rather cool, I'd heard about this person, and have had brushes with "that" side of things...

... in general, though, Dina just goes off in
Sharifah Syakila
Jun 06, 2013 Sharifah Syakila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
It took me a few days to finish this book because Im always slow when reading non fiction books. Dina has a unique way of writing, I love how she's funny and witty and how she writes excites me. The down part of it is that, the book is written in a messy manner I think. All the topics were jumbled up and she jumped from one topic to another to fast. I find it frustrating and confusing at times. I feel like she was rushing to get the book done. I liked two chapters in this book, one was about pol ...more
Putri
May 30, 2008 Putri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the book about Malay muslims from the perspective of Malay Muslim woman.
The author described about many issues as a muslim in Malaysia as an Islam country boldly.
That there are lots of muslim types out there, range from the conservative muslim, liberal muslim, gay and lesbian muslim, the non practice muslim, etc.
A cynical but quite funny book eventhough not necesseraly well written but for me it gave me different view to see Muslim lives in Malaysia that I have had thought.
But Anyhow at
Anouk
Jul 25, 2007 Anouk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent book! It is very fresh and funny, but factual and cynical at the same time. I love the way she thinks (well as she is a columnist, it is hard not to be subjective). It shows the world that being a muslim does not necessarily makes a person different than the rest of the world. There are gay muslims, lesbian muslims, muslims who have affairs, and muslims who go to witch doctors. At the end of the day, what you see isnt always what you get!

What a hypocrite world that i live in..
syafiqah
Ada sesetengah yang boleh diambil dari buku ini.walaupun pedih tapi itulah realiti kadang kadang apa yang terjadi sebenar di malaysia.ada perkara yang perlu ditetliti dengan lebih mendalam dan tidak boleh diguna pakai membuta tuli.Ambil yang baik dari buku ini dan apa yang rasa tidak patut diambil jadikan sebagai kayu pengukur untuk masa depan.thanks to dina zaman sebab berani menulis lain dari yang lain.
Rita
Jun 12, 2009 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight to the lives of Malaysian Muslim. Some stories caught me by surprise and scared the hell out of me. I thought as a person I was pretty open-minded. But I guess I'm still a bit naive when it comes to what people do behind closed doors.

This book is really honest. Easy to read. And offers mind-boggling facts.
Shafira Noh
Jun 09, 2011 Shafira Noh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it, to know what Malaysian thinks about Islam, even who ever she is.

"Talk to us". Excerpt from one of her written post there. Sometimes, we really like to label other else, without seeking first why they did one thing.

I really hope, to mingle with anyone. Not to be influenced but to understand.
Kluxorious Kluxces
Aug 08, 2015 Kluxorious Kluxces rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
I love how candid this book is about most Muslims in Malaysia, how typical they are when it comes to judging people and despite the denial, the conservative and sometimes extreme way of practicing Islam. This book is certainly one of my favorite from our local taalented writer.
Azam Baizen
Jan 24, 2012 Azam Baizen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please read this book if you want to know bout the reality of the way Islam is being practiced in Malaysia. Of course some may argue with the author's observation but at least she tries to tell the people what is da reality here in Malaysia. Good job Dina! :)
Emilade
Aug 15, 2012 Emilade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-science
It was enjoyable. I was particularly interested in the essays concerning identifying as both homosexual and Muslim. Also, the blending of traditional Malay customs with Islam.
Its a good book, you should read it.
Imran Edzereiq
Aug 31, 2013 Imran Edzereiq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well writtem book on Malay Muslim lifetyle in Malaysia from a not typical perspective
Syafiqah Shukri
Quirky,funny,frustrating.....all in all....a good read!
siti
Mar 10, 2012 siti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anecdotal and scattered,but just the way I like it.
Sarah Farhana
May 19, 2009 Sarah Farhana rated it really liked it
The reality of Muslim in my beloved country
Akmal A.
Jul 31, 2012 Akmal A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kisah sebenar kebanyakkan masyarakat di Malaysia
Evy
Sep 10, 2007 Evy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Controversial! Insights into Malaysia Muslims
Jiwa Rasa
I am Muslim by Dina Zaman (2007)
Izziewizzy
  • Biografi Muhammad bin Abdullah: Perjalanan Hidup Seorang Nabi
  • Qur’an and Cricket: Travels Through the Madrasahs of Asia and Other Stories
  • Travelog Dakwah: Meniti Hari Esok
  • Surat Ungu untuk Nuha
  • Rindu Bau Pohon Tin (Travelog Tarbiah)
  • Pei Pan