Start by marking “The Ravenous Audience” as Want to Read:
The Ravenous Audience

The Ravenous Audience

"Christianity or cuisine, cinema or sex manuals, Eros or Thanatos, Artaud or Marilyn Monroe? Marry or suture or eat all of them and you are close to Ravenous. A brutal tour de force."
--Juan Felipe Herrera, author of Half of the World in Light

"Durbin's debut volume sizzles...Throughout this deeply feminist, groundbreaking collection, she employs both the elemental forces of
Published October 1st 2009 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ravenous Audience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ravenous Audience

Sivan
Jun 09, 2010 Sivan rated it it was amazing
If you don't ordinarily "get" poetry, read this book. If you prefer fiction, read this book. If you love fairy tales, nursery rhymes, bringing biblical women to life, Marilyn Monroe, and Amelia Earhart, read this book. If you like sex, and you like the idea that women are sexual creatures with their own power and struggles inherent in that, read this book. I honestly haven't been this excited about a new book of modern poetry in ages. And I have been offered the opportunity to review this book ...more
Blue
May 13, 2010 Blue rated it really liked it
I also received this great collection as a first read and have been reading and re-reading it slowly until now. As some people have mentioned, this is not your usual poetry fair. I would say it could fit in the prose-poetry category better. There are some pieces that are entirely in poetic form and some in prose form and others in a mixture. The subject matter, if one is allowed to speak of such a thing, centers around a certain gender (female), certain political lean (feminist), and a certain ...more
Gina
Feb 09, 2012 Gina rated it it was amazing
saw kate at a reading + thought "that is an amazing outfit she has on." found this book at a bookstore weeks later, recognized kate from her author photo + opened the book. every bit as good as her outfits, if not better.
M.
May 13, 2011 M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminist, poetry, gender
i love the marilyn monroe and amelia earhart sequences the best; also love catherine breillat running through so many poems -- this book is hungry (ravenous) - and precisely, carefully brutal
Christina Gould
Apr 07, 2010 Christina Gould rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating read. Very unusual.
Alicia
I won this from first reads. I have to say I haven't read any poetry outside of stuff I had to read in various Lit classes so I don't have a lot to compare to but I enjoyed this collection. Very different from what I would expect from poetry, in a good way.
Lauren
Jan 01, 2011 Lauren rated it it was ok
Decidedly "so-so". Some of the pieces were clever, and had nice imagery/rhythm, but overall it read a lot like college workshop poetry. After so many favorable reviews, I was expecting something far more profound and was seriously disappointed.
Angela Nelson
Nov 26, 2013 Angela Nelson rated it it was amazing
Visceral and brilliant and brave
Matt Lewis
Feb 15, 2016 Matt Lewis rated it really liked it
Smart, gory, and empowering. Durbin manages to create a seamless connection between all aspects and histories of life as a woman, from the lowliest peasant girl to Marilyn Monroe. The experiences depicted here are dark, strikingly fatalistic and undeniably real. These poems assault the senses, never with tones based in violence but rather, in vengeance.
Brandi
Nov 27, 2014 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Magic.
Juliet
Sep 30, 2009 Juliet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
4 1/4 stars.
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2010
Harold
Harold rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2011
Chloe
Chloe rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Rebecca Jessen
Rebecca Jessen rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Jessica Clark
Jessica Clark rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Blake Lee
Blake Lee rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2014
Opal McCarthy
Opal McCarthy rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2011
Insert Blanc
Insert Blanc rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
McKenzie
McKenzie rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Andrea Quinlan
Andrea Quinlan rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2012
Leia Penina
Leia Penina rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Jessica Baran
Jessica Baran rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Amy Bridges
Amy Bridges rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2009
Moxie Bangs
Moxie Bangs rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Amaranth
Amaranth rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2013
J.D. Scott
J.D. Scott rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Kate Durbin is a Los-Angeles based writer and artist. She is the author of The Ravenous Audience (Akashic Books), E! Entertainment (Wonder), and co-author of Abra.

More about Kate Durbin...