Start by marking “The Hermit Crab” as Want to Read:
The Hermit Crab

The Hermit Crab

The hermit crab would prefer to blend into the background. He is happy to spend his time alone, looking for food. But when he finds a flashy new shell, he can’t resist trying it on for size. He is so taken with it that he doesn’t notice the mysterious contraption that floats down from the surface. While the lobster wonders if the contraption is a restaurant and the bluefis ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Hermit Crab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hermit Crab

Wendy
A great book to introduce to kids the idea of being an introvert, and that it isn't a bad thing. Hermit crab just wants to do his thing on the periphery...and that's ok.
Megan
Feb 06, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations and the funny story about this shy little hermit crab who accidentally becomes a hero. The hermit crab's personality doesn't change through the process though; he still prefers to be unnoticed and unseen and in the back of the crowd. I liked that about this book. I expected a transformation, but he was still the same litle shy guy, despite his super-hero shell and his act of heroism.
Liz
Mar 13, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing
The Hermit Crab is shy and timid. He would must rather stand on the outskirts of the group than be the center of attention. One day a contraption falls from the sky and lands on the flounder. That same day the hermit crab finds the most beautiful shell he has ever seen and decides to move in. When he returns to town he notices the contraption and all the good smells coming from inside. As he investigates, the contraption is lifted back into the sky, thus freeing the flounder. Everyone celebrates ...more
Robert Beveridge
Aug 05, 2010 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Carter Goodrich, The Hermit Crab (Simon and Schuster, 2009)

I will tell you right now that I am unable to give this book an unbiased review. Come on, a pre-lit book featuring an obsessive introvert? How did someone even get the idea to write such a thing? I'm in love with it. It's a little on the advanced/wordy side for the bean (who's seventeen months old today, as I write this), but I plan on buying a copy, having gotten it out of the library for the first go-round, and keeping it around until
Melanie
When a trap is thrown into the ocean, the poor Flounder gets stuck underneath. None of the other sea creatures will go near it. But the hermit crab, having found a new and exciting shell, saves the day by moving the cage off the Flounder. Not wanting to interact with anyone because he's shy, the crab avoids the hero celebration hidden in his new shell.

A good lesson on how changing your appearance doesn't make you a different person.
The Brothers
Feb 01, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: hermit-crabs, heroes
Hermit Crab is soooo shy he really doesn't like having any attention drawn to him. One day when he's out scrounging for food, he comes across a fabulous new shell (half of an action figure) and he moves right in. The other fish don't recognize him in his new shell, so he's able to save the flounder and become a hero without all the attention.

Fun illustrations.
Liz Todd
I think this would be a great questioning book... about the new shell, why the trap moved, why Hermit Crab didn't want any attention, etc. Also a good look at a shy character.
Gwen the Librarian
Aug 07, 2009 Gwen the Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The Hermit Crab is very shy and doesn't want anyone to notice him. When he finds a new "shell" that looks like a superhero, he doesn't realize how the other crabs and fish will react. A trap drops to the sea floor and traps Flounder. Hermit Crab accidentally comes to the rescue...except nobody knows that it is him inside the superhero shell! Hermit Crab leaves the hero shell behind and goes back to his quiet old shell, where he likes it just fine. This is a really funny story that also shows it ...more
Ian
Aug 01, 2014 Ian rated it really liked it
Delightful story and illustrations.
Shelli
Jul 26, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Colorful illustrations and well written story about a shy hermit crab who unknowingly and unintentionally becomes the hero. What I loved best about the book was how this bashful little crab stayed in his comfort zone and true to himself, even when he could have easily been transformed into the fearless daredevil that all the other sea critters would adore. Not all people, or critters, need to be the center of attention; preferring to be more of a wallflower is o.k. too.
Kristen
Aug 01, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
I like the shy hermit crab who doesn't set out to be a hero but accidentally rescues the flounder! Carter Goodrich does film animation, and his pictures do a great job of telling and adding to the story. I liked the end as well, when there's not some big personality change for the hermit crab. He's still shy, and that is fine.
Tamara the Librarian
Sep 28, 2009 Tamara the Librarian rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2nd
Fantastic illustrations. Story is pretty amusing-- but I don't really get the point. Shy hermit crab inadvertently saves a trapped flounder while wearing a superhero shell. Actually he doesn't even save him-- lobster trap is pulled up by humans above.

Kids might like it-- would buy it if cheap.
chbyoungreaders Changing Hands Bookstore Kids Team
Did you like Finding Nemo? Did you love Monsters Inc.? Then you’ll be ecstatic about The Hermit Crab! From the character designer of your favorite Pixar films, comes a story about a shy hermit crab who inadvertently finds himself a reluctant hero when he frees a trapped flounder.
Tricia
Dec 14, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
I'm confused about how I feel on this one...a shy hermit crab finds a new shell (actually the top of a super hero doll) and accidentally rescues a fish caught beneath a trap. He really doesn't want to be admired by the others so he finds a way to escape their attention. Hmn.
Reepacheep
Jun 13, 2012 Reepacheep rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: My wife
Recommended to Reepacheep by: My son
This is a fun little story to read to the kids. The pictures are beautiful. The shy little hermit crab, as described in this story, bears a striking to resemblance to someone I know and love, which probably helped me enjoy the story even more.
Mark Siegel
Apr 15, 2013 Mark Siegel rated it it was amazing
Fantastic bedtime read. Ignore the cover, which is far surpassed by the interior artwork. Good fun for a parent to practice silly voices while reading, too. In our home rendition, the lobster has evolved a surfer-dude-valley talk...
Tara
Jun 16, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it
What a cute little book! My son happened to mention Hermit crabs and the librarian found us and brought him the book. It is a sweet story of a shy hermit crab that becomes an accidental hero. I loved his super hero shell!
Tams
Jun 19, 2009 Tams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I thought this story was adorable. Even more so beause I love the thought of the little hermit crab being uncomfortable with all the attention his "shell" recieves while he is inside.
Erica Eyestone
Good message about being humble. Hermit crab sort of saves the day but it seems kind of misleading because it didn't seem like he did much to me.
Beth
Mar 22, 2010 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is a great book for story time. Children love the illustrations and want the flounder fish to be saved. They also like his temporary shell!
Angie
Jun 15, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
So I can sort of relate to the hermit crab. I try to do good.

But sometimes I'd just rather not be noticed.
Kari
Sep 15, 2009 Kari rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The kids liked this read aloud, and it was very appropriate at our house after just crab-sitting a friends hermit crab.
Marge
Jul 30, 2009 Marge added it
Shelves: picture-books
nice story - use with Eric Carl's house for hermit crab -
Story about being shy
Conni Strittmatter
Amusing illustrations. A good storytime book for elementary ages.
Lisa Lesyshen
Jul 18, 2009 Lisa Lesyshen rated it it was amazing
Just got the book for asher-will read soon.
Megan
May 19, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Fun book . . the 1-2 grade really liked it!
Emily Noel
Emily Noel rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Trish
Trish rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Kaylee
Kaylee marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Carter Goodrich has illustrated sixteen New Yorker covers and was the lead character designer for Despicable Me. He has designed characters for many other beloved animated films, including Brave, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc, Open Season, and Ratatouille, for which he won the International Animated Film Society’s Annie Award for character design. A Rhode Island School of Design graduate, he has twi ...more
More about Carter Goodrich...