Start by marking “The Hermit Crab” as Want to Read:
The Hermit Crab

The Hermit Crab

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The hermit crab would prefer to blend into the background. He is happy to spend his time alone, looking for food. But when he finds a flashy new shell, he can’t resist trying it on for size. He is so taken with it that he doesn’t notice the mysterious contraption that floats down from the surface. While the lobster wonders if the contraption is a restau ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Hermit Crab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hermit Crab

Wendy
A great book to introduce to kids the idea of being an introvert, and that it isn't a bad thing. Hermit crab just wants to do his thing on the periphery...and that's ok.
Megan
I loved the illustrations and the funny story about this shy little hermit crab who accidentally becomes a hero. The hermit crab's personality doesn't change through the process though; he still prefers to be unnoticed and unseen and in the back of the crowd. I liked that about this book. I expected a transformation, but he was still the same litle shy guy, despite his super-hero shell and his act of heroism.
Liz
The Hermit Crab is shy and timid. He would must rather stand on the outskirts of the group than be the center of attention. One day a contraption falls from the sky and lands on the flounder. That same day the hermit crab finds the most beautiful shell he has ever seen and decides to move in. When he returns to town he notices the contraption and all the good smells coming from inside. As he investigates, the contraption is lifted back into the sky, thus freeing the flounder. Everyone celebrates ...more
Robert Beveridge
Carter Goodrich, The Hermit Crab (Simon and Schuster, 2009)

I will tell you right now that I am unable to give this book an unbiased review. Come on, a pre-lit book featuring an obsessive introvert? How did someone even get the idea to write such a thing? I'm in love with it. It's a little on the advanced/wordy side for the bean (who's seventeen months old today, as I write this), but I plan on buying a copy, having gotten it out of the library for the first go-round, and keeping it around until
Melanie
When a trap is thrown into the ocean, the poor Flounder gets stuck underneath. None of the other sea creatures will go near it. But the hermit crab, having found a new and exciting shell, saves the day by moving the cage off the Flounder. Not wanting to interact with anyone because he's shy, the crab avoids the hero celebration hidden in his new shell.

A good lesson on how changing your appearance doesn't make you a different person.
Gwen the Librarian
The Hermit Crab is very shy and doesn't want anyone to notice him. When he finds a new "shell" that looks like a superhero, he doesn't realize how the other crabs and fish will react. A trap drops to the sea floor and traps Flounder. Hermit Crab accidentally comes to the rescue...except nobody knows that it is him inside the superhero shell! Hermit Crab leaves the hero shell behind and goes back to his quiet old shell, where he likes it just fine. This is a really funny story that also shows it ...more
Ian
Delightful story and illustrations.
Shelli
Colorful illustrations and well written story about a shy hermit crab who unknowingly and unintentionally becomes the hero. What I loved best about the book was how this bashful little crab stayed in his comfort zone and true to himself, even when he could have easily been transformed into the fearless daredevil that all the other sea critters would adore. Not all people, or critters, need to be the center of attention; preferring to be more of a wallflower is o.k. too.
Kris
I like the shy hermit crab who doesn't set out to be a hero but accidentally rescues the flounder! Carter Goodrich does film animation, and his pictures do a great job of telling and adding to the story. I liked the end as well, when there's not some big personality change for the hermit crab. He's still shy, and that is fine.
Tamara the Librarian
Fantastic illustrations. Story is pretty amusing-- but I don't really get the point. Shy hermit crab inadvertently saves a trapped flounder while wearing a superhero shell. Actually he doesn't even save him-- lobster trap is pulled up by humans above.

Kids might like it-- would buy it if cheap.
chbyoungreaders Changing Hands Bookstore Kids Team
Did you like Finding Nemo? Did you love Monsters Inc.? Then you’ll be ecstatic about The Hermit Crab! From the character designer of your favorite Pixar films, comes a story about a shy hermit crab who inadvertently finds himself a reluctant hero when he frees a trapped flounder.
Tricia
I'm confused about how I feel on this one...a shy hermit crab finds a new shell (actually the top of a super hero doll) and accidentally rescues a fish caught beneath a trap. He really doesn't want to be admired by the others so he finds a way to escape their attention. Hmn.
Reepacheep
Jun 13, 2012 Reepacheep rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My wife
Recommended to Reepacheep by: My son
This is a fun little story to read to the kids. The pictures are beautiful. The shy little hermit crab, as described in this story, bears a striking to resemblance to someone I know and love, which probably helped me enjoy the story even more.
Mark Siegel
Fantastic bedtime read. Ignore the cover, which is far surpassed by the interior artwork. Good fun for a parent to practice silly voices while reading, too. In our home rendition, the lobster has evolved a surfer-dude-valley talk...
Tara
What a cute little book! My son happened to mention Hermit crabs and the librarian found us and brought him the book. It is a sweet story of a shy hermit crab that becomes an accidental hero. I loved his super hero shell!
Tams
I thought this story was adorable. Even more so beause I love the thought of the little hermit crab being uncomfortable with all the attention his "shell" recieves while he is inside.
Erica Eyestone
Good message about being humble. Hermit crab sort of saves the day but it seems kind of misleading because it didn't seem like he did much to me.
Beth
This is a great book for story time. Children love the illustrations and want the flounder fish to be saved. They also like his temporary shell!
Angie
So I can sort of relate to the hermit crab. I try to do good.

But sometimes I'd just rather not be noticed.
Kari
The kids liked this read aloud, and it was very appropriate at our house after just crab-sitting a friends hermit crab.
Marge
Jul 30, 2009 Marge added it
Shelves: picture-books
nice story - use with Eric Carl's house for hermit crab -
Story about being shy
Conni Strittmatter
Amusing illustrations. A good storytime book for elementary ages.
Lisa Lesyshen
Just got the book for asher-will read soon.
Megan
Fun book . . the 1-2 grade really liked it!
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Boat
Boat marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Carter Goodrich has illustrated sixteen New Yorker covers and was the lead character designer for Despicable Me. He has designed characters for many other beloved animated films, including Brave, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc, Open Season, and Ratatouille, for which he won the International Animated Film Society’s Annie Award for character design. A Rhode Island School of Design graduate, he has twi ...more
More about Carter Goodrich...
Say Hello to Zorro! Zorro Gets an Outfit Mister Bud Wears the Cone A Creature Was Stirring We Forgot Brock!