Throwing Shadows

Throwing Shadows

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"Five short stories are told in the first person, all crisp and compactly tailored in setting forth their common theme of self-awareness".--"Booklist".
Published January 1st 1979 by Atheneum Books

Katie Fitzgerald
What really struck me more than anything else about this book was the diversity of the different narrators. Some authors sound the same no matter whose point of view they are writing from. Konigsburg's characters are as different from one another as any real people, and though these stories are just quick peeks into the worlds of these characters, the reader feels as if he/she gets to know each one in depth. Ampara and William have interesting accents, which help to differentiate their voices fr...more
Sallie
I bought this at my libraries book sale - a discarded book. I love Konigsburg's books, and I met her once at a writer's seminar while I was working in Reno. Lovely lady. Jennifer, Hecate, William McKinley etc is maybe my favorite of her books. This one is not one continuous story, but each chapter is a story by itself. Chapter 3 made me laugh last night while reading it.

5/9/12 - I finished this book the other night, and I just changed my stars to 5. I do love Konigsburg's writing! The main chara...more
Emily
This novel by E.L. Konigsburg is a series of short stories. Each chapter is about a different person, and there is no through line that connects them together. The stories do tie together though in that each of the characters learn something about themselves, and they learn to embrace it, or to make the changes to become what they would rather be. It's quite a good book.

These fictional stories are good because they shed light on humankind on an individual level and caused me to think about my o...more
Cheryl in CC NV
I picked this up assuming that, since it was unfamiliar to me, it was a newer Konigsburg. It's actually a reprint, from 1979. And some of the supporting details in some of the stories reveal that it's an older book. (Rich Little, anyone?)

However, the themes are eternal. The voices of the teen narrators are authentic. The writing is beautiful.

And here's a special tidbit that can help us see the value of Literature over lighter fiction:

"I don't like to make my point too sharply. I like to blunt it...more
LuAnn Kern
Lovely collection of short stories with memorable characters. Delightful.
Jenny Thayer
At first I was a little disappointed in this book, because I thought it was going to be different. By the end it really won me over. The last couple of stories were really wonderful.
Aleigh
Dec 28, 2007 Aleigh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: yes
I liked E.L. Konigsburg's other book so I thought I'd give this a go. It's 5 short-stories written from the first person perspective. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Kathy
A collection of five-short stories with a variety of topics. Always with a moral/lesson for the reader. Two were good, the others a little dull.
Arly
Really interesting and unique short stories for children. Engaging without being trite. Good writing. Distinct voices in each story.
Kevin Lucia
Nice little collection! "At the Home" was probably the weakest - dragged a bit - while "With Bert and Ray" was definitely the best.
Mrs.Mason
A collection of touching short stories - some are not terribly exciting, but all with good morals/lessons.
Lee Anne
Delightful, fabulous, wonderful, fun, sweet, thoughtful.......
Short stories by Konigsburg. None really gripped me.
Melissa
Great short stories for upper elementary grades.
Shoshana
Konigsburg is amazing at voice!
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Nancy Kotkin
Nancy Kotkin marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Meira
Meira marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Elaine Lobl Konigsburg was an American author and illustrator of children's books and young adult fiction. She was the only author to win the Newbery Medal and a Newbery Honor in the same year (1968), with her second and first books respectively: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth. Kongisburg won a second Newbery...more
More about E.L. Konigsburg...
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler The View from Saturday Silent to the Bone The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth

“It is sometimes necessary to use unnecessary words like thank you and please just to make life prettier.” 0 likes
“I always look at a pretty face this way though: it's only half an inch away from being homely. And me, I'm only half an inch away from being beautiful. If I had half an inch less of nose and half an inch more of chin, I'd be a regular bald-headed beauty queen.” 0 likes