Start by marking “Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art” as Want to Read:
Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art

Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  375 ratings  ·  41 reviews
“What is a good mail day?” A good mail day is a day when, instead of just bills, catalogs, and advertisements, your postal carrier delivers artful, beautiful, personal mail from friends and acquaintances all over the world. Mail art is a collaborative art form with a long and fascinating history populated by famous artists as well as everyday practitioners. The term “mail ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Good Mail Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Mail Day

Jaina Bee
Dec 12, 2009 Jaina Bee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pen pals, mail artists, crafty types
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: Chloe
Fun, fancy, and full of ideas, technique, and just enough mail art history to send you searching for more. This book inspired me to get back into sending things via post.
Christine
Innovative, bright ways to re-invent your junk mail and build relationships via the old-fashioned art of correspondence wait for you in this book. Gone are the days of the pony express, sadly. Yet we humans still loiter around the mailbox, rallying our hopes if the postal worker's bundle looks interesting. If I received any of the resourceful and occasionally stutter-inducing missives pictured in Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art, I'd probably give Phillip a hug. I'm not ...more
Tracy
This is a nifty little book. It doesn't blow up the world for people who've been naturally signifying their correspondence, but the authors provide affirmation that others are doing it too and show you how to connect with your postal art comrades. There might be a few nuggets of interest for mail artists who already know this world and explored various techniques. I don't consider myself an expert. I would assess myself as intermediate-level. I do try to make my notes, letters, cards and envelop ...more
Jan
Oct 27, 2009 Jan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to write letters and wants to send "good mail"
Recommended to Jan by: found online several places but Missive Maven's blog convinced m
What fun. This book is filled with such great ideas & cute pictures I had to start reading it as soon as it arrived in my mailbox.

Love the "Ten Commandments of Mail Art," the chapter creating a traveling mail art kit, fun ways to decorate envelopes, and they even included an envelope template and stickers. In short, it's filled with great ideas that even a non-artistic person like myself can use to send creative mail.
Rachel Kopel
I read this book in a morning at Borders. I used to do a lot of mail art, but rarely do any these days. This book was a delight, I referred it to two friends right away. Mostly I knew what it had to say, but the information was wonderfully clear and presented in a fun way and very inspirational. I came home and did a little mail art. Great for a beginner, but also inspiring for someone with experience. More eye candy.
Tricia
I wanted to like this more than I did. I think I was expecting more of a primer - more "how to" content. Instead, it addresses the "why to" and provides a lot of inspiring examples. The examples are great, but the book was not what I expected overall.

Go make a good mail day for someone - send mail art! Or even just a card. :^)
Kristin
"When you write to your friends, make your letters so beautiful in form and text that they will be read, re-read, and cherished a long time after as a fond memory." ~Book of Etiquette, 1922
liberal sprinkles
I'm so happy I stumbled across this book in the library. I love it! The photos are lovely, the artworks delicious and the book is pure fun.

- It sets down rules: among them, "no returns" - yay!; "give as good as you get"; "document".
- It spells out the 10 commandments. My favorite: Thou shalt be irreverent.
- It gives plenty of advice (the 7 seven sins of mailing; 7 suggestions for shepherding your mail art safely to its destination) and
- there are great tips and reminders on looking out for inspi
Kandice
An interesting book that lays out a ton of rules and commandments for creating and sending mail, which turned me off so I just flipped through the rest of the book.
I prefer pastels and shabby chic designs and decor, so that maybe why I wasn't inspired to rummage through recycling bins and find random "materials" (which I call junk) for making mail art.

Maybe Elyse Major could write about about tinkered mail art. (Hint hint) :-)
Colin
OOooh! Pretty! Inspiring! Now I will make mail out of trash! And become an esteemed part of the NETWORK! :)
liberal sprinkles

- It spells out the 10 commandments. My favorite: Thou shalt be irreverent.
- there are great tips and reminders on looking out for inspi
Jennie Garcia
I really enjoyed this book! It has a bunch of history bits and anecdotes without being boring. It has many cool ideas with things you can find at home. I like the artist stamps chapter, it was probably my favorite. I enjoyed the extra stickers on the back! The gallery is very cool and interesting and I wish they had even more examples. The references to other books and websites are great. I wish they had gone a little bit more artistic but for that I could buy a mixed media book.
Taymara Jagmohan
Excellent book!

It revived me from the post traumatic stage I have been going through! :)

Absolutely wonderful. I enjoyed it.

Thank you so much, and now everything seems so light and creative. Postal art, prepare for Taymara to take you through! :D

Yours truly and ever blossoming,
Taymara.
Else
A very cool book on how to start making "mail art." The pictures are splendid and very inspiring. If everyone got mail like this in their boxes, the postal service would flourish and really, the world would be a better place! Send more letters! Send mail art! Recommended.
Julie
I really enjoyed paging through this pretty book and will draw a ton of inspiration from it. My current infatuation with snail mail will be a lot more creative and colorful based on many of the ideas offered in both the text and the beautiful photos. I especially liked the idea of creating a portable mail art kit to take with me on trips and how to get inventive with various materials while corresponding on vacations. This really covers all aspects of creative mailing: the history of mail art, t ...more
Meike
I liked this book a lot.

It was a tip from a friend of mine who is very much into mail-art and also manages a bookstore; she said it would give me a good start into mail-art, and so it did.

It is beautiful to look at, and the projects are presented in gorgeous pictures. For starters like me, there is much explained and shown, but as my friend is pro when it comes to mail-art and she also loves the book, it seems to be for mail-artists who don't start out but are more pros.

I really like it and r
Diane
I love mail. I love art. This is a mail art book with some history of the movement along with helpful tips on how to get started and how to adhere to the established rules of the art movement, of which there are only three: no jury/no returns/documentation for all.

That phrase was enough to pique my interest, and it certainly turned out to be a lovely find. Will be using this book as reference as there are many good tips as well as web sites and other information.
Jessica Lewis
It's full of pretty and inspiring, which is basically why I got it. It's nothing I didn't really know anyway, so it's more like a beginners guide to sending mail art.
Juliet
Truly enjoyed the history, as well as the photographs, in this book. Authors seemed to do quite a bit of research. Love the sense of mail voyeurism as I paged through the collection. The how-to sections, postcards and stickers have prompted me to start up mail art again, but this time with my daughter and hopefully, niece.
Christina (Boupie)
Great book if you are interested in being a pen pal. It has given me some great creative insight into being an awesome pen pal and mail artist. I now need more people to send snail mail to. If you are interested in being creative this is a great book to read.
Garci
The holy bible for mail art enthusiasts and snail mail letter-writers. The book is chock-full of ideas and examples from many different mail artists. The back of the book even contains some stickers and postcard templates. I loved this book.
Mary Cartledgehayes
The go-to book about jumping into the eternal network of mail artists.

I'm biased; I'd only just begun doing mail art when one of my pieces was chosen for this book. But it's a fine piece of work nonetheless.
Heather Moss
A history of mail art, beautifully-illustrated, with examples of ways to incorporate mail art into your own life. This book is not quite what I expected but I loved it nevertheless. And it comes with stickers!
Andrea
Interesting background on mail art. However, I suppose I was expecting more in-depth instruction on how to actually make some of the cool mail art. The book did have nice pictures and a few good ideas.
Nikoya
Very fun and it has helped me get back into letter writing. Plus it gives you a site for pen pals that I've joined and I have all ready received a letter! Great for Mix Media fans and letter writers.
Lynne Monsoon
I found this surprisingly inspiring. I read it one day and made something the next. I'm planning on writing more letters and making them interesting/pretty next year. Seems like a good resolution.
Rift Vegan
May 2010 -- Fun read. Brushes against many topics. Leaves me wanting so much more.

June 2010 -- Yep! Mail box happiness? message me! I love to send out postcards!!
Arlian
This was an alright book. A bit too introductory for a seasoned pen pal such as myself, but did have some interesting contact info, like the letter writers alliance.
maven
A really delightful book about mail art, including suggestions on making it yourself, a bit of history on other mail artists, and more.
Andria
Great photo examples of mail art. Got me immediately interested in mail art. A fun "quick art" activity for immediate gratification.
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • The Repurposed Library
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • The Book as Art: Artists' Books from the National Museum of Women in the Arts
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
  • Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds