Start by marking “Birds of Prey, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Birds of Prey, Vol. 1

Birds of Prey, Vol. 1 (Birds of Prey I #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The first collection of BIRDS OF PREY is back in print , just in time for the new TV series to debut on the WB network!

Here we are presented with the first adventure where Oracle (Barbara Gordon - the original Batgirl) seeks out Black Canary as her partner in globetrotting adventures.

Collects Black Canary/Oracle: Manhunt 4-part Mini Series and Birds of Prey: Revolution, a

Published February 1st 1999 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Birds of Prey, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds of Prey, Vol. 1

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanFray by Joss WhedonRunaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. VaughanBatwoman by Greg RuckaCaptain Marvel, Vol. 1 by Kelly Sue DeConnick
Kickass women in superhero comics
33rd out of 237 books — 182 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
The Birds
217th out of 406 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Not bad at all. This is more of a Black Canary and Oracle with guest stars type of book. Black Canary is sent on missions by her handler, Oracle, and she teams up with other crime fighters, particularly Huntress, and even the antihero Catwoman. The Dark Knight and Robin make an appearance, but they stay peripheral characters, and that is as it should be. This is not their show.

I haven't read a lot of Black Canary so far in my graphic novel endeavors. I have to say that I like her style. Oracle k
Sesana
Something about this book just didn't click for me, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's because this volume is very Black Canary heavy, and I'm really here for Oracle. Maybe it's because none of the storylines are that compelling. It might also have to do with art that had the female characters striking poses that were meant to be sexy, but more often came off as silly considering what they were actually trying to say and do.
Jaclyn Hogan
Such a disappointment. A comic of heroines written and drawn by dudes at their dudliest. I can no longer overlook stupidly sexualized poses and giant tits that never move, even when their owners are doing martial arts. Bodies don't work that way. Oh well. Silly Jaclyn, to think that an acclaimed series of awesome heroines would live up to its potential.
Charlotte
Chuck Dixon is one of the gods of comic book writing, truly. Fans of Black Canary will love the moment where she hangs up the wig and purchases herself some hair dye (setting up the comedy for Smith’s Green Arrow run, when the resurrected hero attempts to pull off her wig! Oops!). Establishing the relationship between Pretty Bird and Oracle, this is a must read for any fan of BoP, also featuring Catwoman and Huntress. My only complaint is that it’s only these first two trades that gather Dixon’s ...more
Claire
Eh. I'm not going to bother reading Dixon's volume 2. I greatly prefer Gail Simone's run of Birds of Prey that starts at vol. 3.
Victor Orozco
When the heck did DC Comics become freaking Lifetime? When I heard about a series dedicated to the fighting duet of Huntress and Black Canary with Oracle backing them up as a great story, I was more than eager to read it.

Instead I get some wishy washy women empowerment stories that get to the heart of crime-fighting but make it seem so nauseating. I now realize why in the TV series 'Arrow' Dinah is depicted as a whiny chick, because in this comic series she is. She's not the cool charming woman
Michael
Birds of Prey collects the first three one shot issues starring Black Canary & Oracle and issues 1-4 of the Birds of Prey mini series: Manhunt.
Former JLA member Black Canary has lost her sonic powers and is recruited by Oracle for a little globe trotting espionage. Thankfully the fishnets are soon dumped in favour of a snazzy black and gold costume in the first few pages and the artists are saved from the trauma of having to draw several hundred panels filled with the dreaded cross hatching.
Tomas
I love black canary and this is the reason I picked up this series. I have never read anything where would oracle appear but I knew her origin story (who doesn't? ). First thing that stroke me was different canary costume (no fishnets) and the fact that this is not the birds of prey I knew. This stories are basically Oracle's missions with Dinah acting as executor of Oracles plans. So basically muscle and brain combo. It is not bad but certainly there is something missing. Some sort of character ...more
Nicole Geub
I read this a long time ago, but I remember I loved the hell out of it! This series got me into the comic book store every week....I need to go back and reread...
Sean
The beginnings of the Birds of Prey was a slightly meek one but its good to go back and see how it all started. The trade, written mostly by Chuck Dixon, was decent but seemed to serve more as a Black Canary story than anything else. While Oracle was present in each story she was never shown as indispensible. Huntress shows up in the last half of the book and is very clichéd. The women overall make a good team but the dialogue made them seem pathetic at times instead of empowered. The art was al ...more
Jacquline
As a collection it was a bit scattered for my taste, 2 stories that go together then jump to a crossover jump back to Gotham.
Cori Edgerton
It's great to see women as the vigilantes who can kick some major butt just as well as the boys!!!
Lora
I wanted this to read less like a tv episodes and more of an overarching story.

I've recently decided to read all things Oracle and Birds of Prey is a long running series that I'm looking forward to reading. I'm hoping it picks up a bit after this volume because it was a bit of a disappointment. I've been told that after Gail Simone takes over the series it switches more to an overarching storyline, so I'm really excited about zooming through this Dixon stuff and getting to Simone material.
Catwoman, Canary and Oracle all in one volume? What's not to like? Plus, we also get to see Lady Shiva, Huntress and Lois Lane. Sweet! Of course, even this first volume raises issues of sexism in comics and in the world, but hey, at least it brings them up. I particularly love how even female crime fighters are a little nebulous in their moral decisions, in one tale, making Batman look like a goody-two shoes. Things are less black and white when you're female vigilante.
Mindy
ehhhh not great. didn't even finish it
Jdetrick
The first adventures of Oracle and Black Canary as the Birds of Prey and quite a bit of fun. There's some unevenness in art styles, but overall these are gorgeous tales, with great characterization and action. There is a little repetitiveness in some of the complications and relationship troubles, but that's minor. Great stuff.
Elena
3.5 stars. Liked it enough that I'll probably read the second, but superhero stuff isn't really my thing--too much mindless butt-kicking. Fight scene after fight scene gets old really quickly.
Adrien
Chuck Dixon is the man. Not masterpiece or anything (like Batgirl Year One) but some fun globe-trotting action with female heroes Black Canary, Huntress and Catwoman, and of course Oracle.
Ariel Marie
Birds of Prey remains one of my favorite series, but I've never read it from the start. So I'm looking forward to this.
Sammie
Not as good as Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, but still fun to read. Girl superhero teams are the best!
Ronald
Great first collection of the girl's team! Oracle-Black Canary-Catwoman-Huntress!! Great stuff!
Amber Ditullio
I'm about 3/4s of the way through it. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of it.
Bree
Jul 22, 2010 Bree rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Great introduction to the series and the relationship between Dinah and O.
Kathryn
I expected more, considering some of my favorite characters were included.
K
Loads of bad ass ladies being bad ass. What's not to like?
TJ
Fun read. Good beginning to the Birds of Prey story.
Shannon Appelcline
Not very deep, but fun and exciting adventures.
Rosa
Jun 01, 2010 Rosa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Neat to see how it all started.
Anne Kaufhold
3 stars for fun heroines.
Cynthia
  • Aquaman: Time and Tide
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Trouble in Mind
  • Huntress: Crossbow at the Crossroads
  • Catwoman, Vol. 1: The Dark End of the Street
Charles "Chuck" Dixon is an American comic book writer, perhaps best-known for long runs on Batman titles in the 1990s.

His earliest comics work was writing Evangeline first for Comico Comics in 1984 (then later for First Comics, who published the on-going series), on which he worked with his then-wife, the artist Judith Hunt. His big break came one year later, when editor Larry Hama hired him to w
More about Chuck Dixon...

Birds of Prey I (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 8: Blood and Circuits
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 9: Dead of Winter
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 10: Club Kids
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
The Hobbit: Graphic Novel Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son Batman: Cataclysm Robin: Year One Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 1 (New Edition)