The Next Thing on My List

The Next Thing on My List

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  7,573 ratings  ·  1,330 reviews
Meet June Parker. She works for L.A. Rideshare, adores her rent-stabilized apartment in Santa Monica, and struggles with losing a few pesky pounds.

But June’s life is about to change.

After a dark turn of events involving Weight Watchers, a chili recipe, and a car accident in which her passenger, Marissa, dies, June finds herself in possession of a list Marissa has written,...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Shaye Areheart Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Next Thing on My List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next Thing on My List

Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenBewitching Love Potions & Charms by Raven Tempest
Cover Couples
54th out of 713 books — 558 voters
The Next Thing on My List by Jill SmolinskiConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Blue by Emily GiffinSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinP.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern
Easy Reading, ie: Chick Lit
1st out of 29 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Chea
Jun 24, 2008 Chea rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my worst enemy.
This book was ridiculous and the main character was kind of an idiot and I'm SO SICK of books that make EVERY WOMAN out to be a neurotic mess whose salvation comes in the form of some DOUCHE BAG guy. Thank you.
Donna
This review is based on reading the first 35 pages and the last chapter of the book. I couldn't read any more than that. I really wanted to like this book. I loved the premise of it: a woman's car passenger dies in an accident and she finds her list of "20 Things To Do Before I Turn 25" and does them for her, and in the process finds meaning in her own life. But I didn't like the author's writing style. It didn't draw me in and I got easily bored. It felt like she was writing a screenplay more t...more
Christina
Wow, the reviews I have read about this have me confused. The concept of the book was really cute, the execution was horrible. It was silly and shallow and wow I cannot believe how many people loved it. Don't bother!
Kimz Zahour
Add this to your "to-read" list then snatch it up quick and read it right away! It's the story of a woman named June and how her life unfolds as she struggles to complete someone else’s list of things to do before my next birthday. Isn't that a cute concept for a story? And it contains all the elements I love in a book... Lots of humor and even some touching moments that brought tears to my eyes (without being too sappy). I adored the voice of this book and felt like my best friend (literally my...more
May 03, 2010 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Book clubs for older women who enjoy light reading
Shelves: book-club
Sandra
I really enjoyed this book, probably because I'm a list maker myself. I thought it was funny and entertaining, plus an easy read that I got through in a day.

June embarks on a life-changing mission to complete the list of an almost stranger-Marissa-who was killed in a car accident where June was the driver. The list, "20 Things To Do By My 25th Birthday", had some quirky items--go braless, eat ice cream in public--but had some poignant entries as well.

Though a decade older, June found herself imm...more
Holly
This book was chosen as a reader's choice at my library. Usually I find new treasures that way. This book was crude, crass, and made me feel like there was not much hope for the general populace. The author chose a fun theme, that of lists to do before you die type of thing with a Magnificent Obsession twist, but don't waste your list on this one. Life is too short.
Megan Richards
May 12, 2012 Megan Richards rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beach goers, vacationers, women in 20s/30s
An entertaining, quick read. June is a character you can root for and (sometimes) relate to, but utterly frustrating at times when she just can't get it together. I loved the take on the conventional "woman in 30s has mid-life crisis and sets out to complete goals" plot by having the protagonist be a woman who didn't set out to change her own life. Good for an enjoyable, uplifting summer or vacation read.
Milissa
Meg
Jill Smolinski's The Next Thing On My List isn't anywhere near the sobfest you would expect it to be, considering our narrator is completing tasks dreamed up by a dead woman. It's actually an incredibly entertaining, heartwarming and inspirational novel that had me flipping the pages from day one.

The strength of book, for me, came in the form of June and Smolinski's sense of humor, which was pitch-perfect. Any off-color jokes would certainly have not been well-received by the audience -- me -- b...more
Debbie  Godowsky
June Parker's life is changed overnight when the passenger of her car, 24 year old Marissa, is thrown from the vehicle and killed. In the aftermath, June comes across a list that Marissa had been carrying in her purse: "20 Things to Do Before My 25th Birthday".

Seeing that just two items have been crossed off(#1: Lose 100 pounds and #4: Wear sexy shoes), June sets out to complete the list by Marissa's 25th birthday in six months. The list is covers it all from #6: Dare to go braless to #10: ride...more
Devon
Has the spunk and energy of a Janet Evanovich book . . . in fact, now that I think about it, this is like a West Coast Stephanie Plum. Instead of sizzling Ranger the bounty hunter, we have sizzling Runner the massage therapist . . . instead of the hot Italian Morelli, we have Martucci . . . instead of sexily-clad sidekick Lula, we have sexily-clad sidekick Brie. The doughnuts were the same on both coasts.
All that said, this book sneaks up on you with a surprisingly meaningful and thoughtful stor...more
Pati
May 21, 2008 Pati rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pati by: Michelle Frasier
Thanks, Michelle, I enjoyed this one. About a girl who got into a car accident with someone in the car that she had just met at a weight watchers meeting. The passenger died and had left a list of things she wanted to do and the driver felt so guilty, she decided to do everything that was on the list. Not an easy thing to do...
Destiny Capron
I actually enjoyed this book and I am usually not one too like these types of books. I enjoyed the outline and how the main character tried to complete the list for the deceased character. It showed that there are good people in the world.
Nadine
I really enjoyed this book!!! It was a light, easy read but still managed to have a lot of depth. I found it relatable which made it even more fun to read. Oh and there are tons of laugh out loud moments, which I love!
Sarah Sly
Nov 09, 2009 Sarah Sly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: Bookclub
I actually liked this book...would I read it again? probably not. The one thing that I really disliked about this book was the strong language that was used. I recently read The Glass Castle which has strong language as well, but I wasn't as bothered by it as I was with this book.

So what is the difference? Well, The Glass Castle is about someone's actual life and you cannot sugarcoat life and was usually done in anger. Also, the swearing was done by a man who wasn't taught any differently. So I...more
bookczuk
This is not a great thinker book, but that's okay. Sometimes you need a lighter read between reading Dostoevsky and the book on Math given to you by your son at Christmas. This was one of those books that, while pointing in the Chick Lit direction, actually has a little more thought and scope than some of those flashy covered novels about young-and-single-working-in-publishing/marketing/advertising/fashion making her life's dream come true. It's kind of a surrogate "Bucket List", only in this ca...more
Laurel-Rain
A young woman gives another woman a lift—they've just met at a Weight Watchers meeting—and tragically, there is an accident and the passenger is killed.

This is how June Parker, an employee at a ridesharing company, finds a list belonging to Marissa Jones, her deceased passenger...in the personal effects afterwards. It is a list of twenty-five things Marissa wanted to do before her twenty-fifth birthday (she was twenty-four when she died). Two things are already crossed off. And to assuage her gu...more
Meagan
This book is an insanely fast read, which is good since I read it from start to finish in one sitting. I didn't have any intention of reading this book when I did, but once I had picked it up to read the first sentence out of pure curiosity, I found myself staying up until 2am to find out what happened. The strange mix of sorrow, guilt, lighthearted humor, and hope was very appealing for a summer read.

June Parker, 32 years old, offered a ride to a woman in uncomfortable shoes at her Weight Watch...more
Lee Ann
This book was somewhat predictable from page 14, but had a surprising twist which was a pleasant surprise. The way the list is accomplished is very touching and really shows how a life can be changed - without the big event and plans that one might expect. The writing makes the reader feel that they are completing the list with June, and cheering her on to meet the deadline. As the story unfolds, you learn that it's more about the purpose of the list adding value to one's life than the actual ta...more
Dec 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a witty chick lit read
Recommended to Jennifer by: Kelly
Exactly the sort of brain candy I needed on my first "official" day of vacation. June Parker is working through a life list of "20 Things to Do by My 25th Birthday" only she's already 34 and it's not her list. Only 6 months before, June survived a car crash that killed her passenger, Marissa Jones, a young woman June barely knew, and the list was Marissa's. Though June hasn't told Marissa's family that she has this list, she decides she must try to work through the eighteen remaining items (the...more
Fernanda
Es un libro simple. No tiene nada especial y me parece muy rígido y sin profundidad. Creo que pudo explotarse mucho más la historia y desarrollar muchisimo más a los propios personajes. Se sentían insípidos y realmente no había protagonismo en ningún lado. Creo que tenía más carisma la chica muerta que todos los demás juntos. Todos eran clichés y predecibles.

A pesar de todo eso, me entretuvo porque es un libro que no se piensa. Que sólo es. No te deja ir más allá porque los personajes parecían r...more
Ali
I did like this book. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I really liked the idea of June wanting to finish Marissa's list of things to do before she turned 25- after Marissa dies in a car accident. I do feel disappointed, however, that the author didn't do so much more with it. I know the list was more in celebration of her 100 lb. weight loss, and so Marissa wanted to do fun things that they didn't feel she could do while overweight, but I would have liked the list to have more meaning and dep...more
Kendra
Premise: June is giving a ride to a girl she just met at a Weight Watchers meeting, when they're involved in a car wreck. The passenger is killed, and June finds a list of things that the girl wanted to accomplish before her 25th birthday. For a not entirely altruistic reason, she sets out to complete the list herself.

There were times when I wanted to give this book a 4 (because I really did enjoy reading it), but overall, I felt that it was just too "cutesy." There are some things you can see c...more
Krysta
My mom recommended this book to me because she said the humor reminded me of her. That made me a little nervous. The book is a quick, light read and while a single woman in her 30's (me) may find some of the plot to hit a little too close to home, it's still cute. I can see this being a romantic comedy flick starring, like Cameron Diaz or something.

Though it's light-hearted and kind of cheesy in parts, the overall spirit and message, which I would sum up as "this is YOUR life. Own it. Do someth...more
Terry
Sorry Marie, but this book exemplifies everything that is hideous about "chick lit", which I say with a curled lip and dripping contempt. I loathed this book. Hideous! Awful! Depressing. As in, depressing that people actively seek this kind of book out and enjoy it. By the way, I was led to this book by my own public library's catalog system while I was looking for Judith Moore's "Fat Girl". Bleaaaagh! Stay away from this book.
Amy
Mar 10, 2008 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like feel good chick-lit
Recommended to Amy by: book club
When I first started this book, picked by the book club, I wasn't sure about it. I thought, "Oh well, just some chick-lit fluff." NOt that I have anything against chick-lit. It can be fun. It just hasn't been what I'm in the mood for lately. Well, it was a bit fluffy, but it was also fun. A quick, fun read that will make you want to start a "list" of your own...and start living!
Katie
What would happen if you decided to finish someone else's life list in their honor? Would you find your own life's purpose in the process? I enjoyed this book--a good summer light read--It inspires you to want to make your own list and to LIVE your own life. Warning: Quite a bit of language.
Rachel
I've been reading a bunch of books that my mother-in-law cleared off her bookshelves, and this is the first one that I actually like the main character and feel like it is both plausible and entertaining.
Mike
The premise seemed like a good idea, but everything just falls into place so cheerily that it is hard to take seriously. It was like an episode of Who's the Boss or a rather lengthy book for children.
  • The Ten Best Days of My Life
  • The Spinster Sisters
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Accidental It Girl
  • It's About Your Husband
  • Names My Sisters Call Me
  • Mommy Tracked
  • Time of My Life
  • The Single Wife
  • The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
  • Getting Warmer
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up (Red Dress Ink)
  • Five Things I Can't Live Without
  • Younger
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • The Journal of Mortifying Moments
  • Conversations With the Fat Girl
  • Pack Up The Moon
I am the author of the novels Objects of My Affection, The Next Thing on My List and Flip-Flopped. I love calling in to book clubs, so visit my web site if you're reading one of my books and would like me to join in the discussion.
More about Jill Smolinski...
Objects of My Affection Flip-Flopped Friendship Origami (Girls Wanna Have Fun!) 50 Nifty Animal Origami Crafts Holiday Origami

“People are living too much or too little, and I wondered if anyone out there is living the right amount.” 12 likes
“How is it that you're such an expert on home pregnancy kits?"
You're asking that question of an Italian stallion like myself? The women call me 'sperm of thunder'. I don't dare stand too close for fear I may impregnate them with just a whiff of my manhood.”
9 likes