Start by marking “Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs” as Want to Read:
Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs

Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  809 ratings  ·  36 reviews
America's favorite outdoor humorist is back with an outrageously fresh collection of stories. He introduces a variety of friends old and new, and takes readers to many exotic locales outdoors and indoors.
Published October 15th 1988 by Holt Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Best Humorous Books
431st out of 2,499 books — 4,884 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
453rd out of 2,210 books — 3,173 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
Read aloud with my 14 yo son over a period of many weeks. Both of us laughed out loud, even though we are not hunters or even avid campers.
Gregory
This was the first McManus book I read.
This book was loaned to me by my father in-law who has long enjoyed McManus' short stories.
If you don't know anything about McManus or have never rwad his works, he writes humorous short stories about Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Gun Trading, and just about anything else that can be done out-doors.
Many of the stories were inspired by experiences from his child hood growing up in the Idaho pad-handle.
Currently McManus resides in Spokane Washington and is a sta
Angel Waggoner
His stories remind me of days gone by where fathers told their kids about the ridiculous things they did as children. All of his books deserve mentioning.
Renee
Perfectly hilarious.
Laird
Nov 23, 2008 Laird rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
For the first time in my life I had an asthma attack while reading one of the chapters in this book I was laughing so hard. I was up in bed reading. My wife was downstairs and thought something was amiss. This book tells of growing up in rural Idaho and all the crazy stupid things boys do. He is the finest humorist I have ever read and that includes Dave Barry. If you think your life needs a few more laughs, and lets face it we all do, then read this book. A very gifted writer.
Dan
Patrick McManus has a great sense of humor and wonderful voice in his stories. I found myself regularly laughing out loud while reading and was able to relate with many of the experiences from my own childhood or various scouting activities. The only drawback is the abrupt ending to many of the stories. Some feel like they are moving along well only to have a sudden and often awkward ending. Overall an entertaining read.
Judy
Twenty-seven short, humorous essays on life in and around the outdoors. These essays poke fun at fishermen, hunters, campers, and the rest of who often wander into the great outdoors and think "I can climb that mountain" or "hike that trail" without giving a thought about the fact that we are out of shape and without the proper equipment. McManus is a very funny writer.
Eva
Oct 01, 2008 Eva rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
They say laughter is good for the soul. If you need a good laugh (one where you get started and end up rolling on the floor clutching your sides), then you have to read Patrick McManus. In Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs is one of my favorite stories, "The Mountain Car."
Jim Corn
One of his best books in my opinion but maybe that is because I have read it a dozen times. This man is funny with great stories of his childhood hunting fishing and the great outdoors. I have a second copy in hardback if anyone is interested in a trade or borrow.
Katiekins
<3 Each one of his collections is weird, warm, and hilarious.
Brenda Cranson
McManus is so funny! The first time I read one of his stories out loud, I laughed until I cried and then until I couldn't breathe enough to even cry. I am in no way outdoors-y, but his writing transcends all that. He is just funny.
Eric Outen
McManus' writing style has always been a bit sophomoric, but his stories are always hilarious. In this collection I really love the story, "Summer Reading," which dictates the rules in choosing a proper summer novel to read.
Art Braendel
A funny collection of short stories dealing with the many adventures of boys growing up in a rural setting. This book is sure to bring a smile, sometimes a snicker, and even a guffaw as you peruse the pages.
Ann
A fun summer read. Lots of good humor about a group of guys growing up in a rural area. The situations might be unsophisticated, but the storytelling produced some embarrassing public laughs.
Stacey
I actually got this in a book swap, otherwise would have never picked it up. Was pretty funny. Lots of little stories, so quick to read. Mainly about silly hunting and fishing stories.
Kaci
Borrowed it from a co-worker. I giggled through just about all of it. I'm heading to half price to buy my own copy and to get some more of his collections.
Lee Wahlquist
Oct 01, 2008 Lee Wahlquist rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lee by: B.K. Rowlan
I friend of mine turned me on to this guy. His stories are really entertaining. If you want a good laugh, then get one of his books and read it.
Mechel
Patrick embellishes on the truth, OK, he totally makes some things up, but anyone who has a son will see some truth to what he writes about.
Terry
Jul 16, 2012 Terry rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terry by: zelma
Shelves: novel
An almost funny collection of short stories concerning hunting and fishing. Recommended by two well read people:Theresa and Zelma.
Dan
Skimmed a few stories. While I can see how the humor would appeal to a lot of people, it just didn't pull me in.
Karolinde (Kari)
I never laugh as hard as when I'm reading McManus work. He's a master storyteller and a master of the tall tale.
Gena Lott
Once you read his books, you want to go camping! But not without him! He would be the life of the camping party!
Jana
Growing up with Dad hunting and fishing---this book made me laugh pretty hard.
Ki
Anything by McManus is funny beyond reason and highly recommened.
Tina
My husband and 10 year old son love these books.
Dan Weiss
Classic McManus... what else is there to say?
Kate
As hilarious as the rest. Could he be funnier?
Traci
  • Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
  • The Snake Has All the Lines
  • Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
  • Standing in a River Waving a Stick
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? A Fine and Pleasant Misery Never Sniff A Gift Fish The Grasshopper Trap The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw