Start by marking “Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs” as Want to Read:
Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs

Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  1,027 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
America's favorite outdoor humorist is back with an outrageously fresh collection of stories. He introduces a variety of friends old and new, and takes readers to many exotic locales outdoors and indoors.
Published October 15th 1988 by Holt Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs

Robert
Apr 20, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
McManus's genius (yes, genius) lies in the fact that this is funny whether you're an outdoorsy type or not. You can relate. You've all got a crazy friend like Crazy Eddie, a moron who outsmarts you like Retch Sweeney, a local coot named Rancid Crabtree. You've all had a favorite animal, a wicked relative, a boring school day. You've all felt out of place among a fishing guide, animal handler, a guy who tells hunting stories and felt like an amateur. There's always a junk car that's better than w ...more
Josh
Feb 12, 2017 Josh rated it it was amazing
Excellent, as always.
Gregory
Sep 27, 2008 Gregory rated it it was amazing
This was the first McManus book I read.
This book was loaned to me by my father in-law who has long enjoyed McManus' short stories.
If you don't know anything about McManus or have never rwad his works, he writes humorous short stories about Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Gun Trading, and just about anything else that can be done out-doors.
Many of the stories were inspired by experiences from his child hood growing up in the Idaho pad-handle.
Currently McManus resides in Spokane Washington and is a sta
Dan
Feb 01, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it
Patrick McManus has a great sense of humor and wonderful voice in his stories. I found myself regularly laughing out loud while reading and was able to relate with many of the experiences from my own childhood or various scouting activities. The only drawback is the abrupt ending to many of the stories. Some feel like they are moving along well only to have a sudden and often awkward ending. Overall an entertaining read.
Laird
Nov 23, 2008 Laird rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
For the first time in my life I had an asthma attack while reading one of the chapters in this book I was laughing so hard. I was up in bed reading. My wife was downstairs and thought something was amiss. This book tells of growing up in rural Idaho and all the crazy stupid things boys do. He is the finest humorist I have ever read and that includes Dave Barry. If you think your life needs a few more laughs, and lets face it we all do, then read this book. A very gifted writer.
Denise
Aug 25, 2015 Denise rated it liked it
You may have to be of a certain age to laugh at these essays on fishing, hunting and generally growing up in the country. Ken and I listened to the audio book on a road trip and the reader was excellent - just the right amount of sarcasm and humor. There were some laugh out loud moments. I liked the subtle humor in the author's writing.
Judy
Feb 10, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
Twenty-seven short, humorous essays on life in and around the outdoors. These essays poke fun at fishermen, hunters, campers, and the rest of who often wander into the great outdoors and think "I can climb that mountain" or "hike that trail" without giving a thought about the fact that we are out of shape and without the proper equipment. McManus is a very funny writer.
Eva
Oct 01, 2008 Eva rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
They say laughter is good for the soul. If you need a good laugh (one where you get started and end up rolling on the floor clutching your sides), then you have to read Patrick McManus. In Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs is one of my favorite stories, "The Mountain Car."
Art Braendel
Aug 18, 2013 Art Braendel rated it really liked it
A funny collection of short stories dealing with the many adventures of boys growing up in a rural setting. This book is sure to bring a smile, sometimes a snicker, and even a guffaw as you peruse the pages.
Brenda Cranson
May 22, 2013 Brenda Cranson rated it it was amazing
McManus is so funny! The first time I read one of his stories out loud, I laughed until I cried and then until I couldn't breathe enough to even cry. I am in no way outdoors-y, but his writing transcends all that. He is just funny.
Eric Outen
Jun 09, 2008 Eric Outen rated it really liked it
McManus' writing style has always been a bit sophomoric, but his stories are always hilarious. In this collection I really love the story, "Summer Reading," which dictates the rules in choosing a proper summer novel to read.
Jim Corn
Mar 02, 2008 Jim Corn rated it it was amazing
One of his best books in my opinion but maybe that is because I have read it a dozen times. This man is funny with great stories of his childhood hunting fishing and the great outdoors. I have a second copy in hardback if anyone is interested in a trade or borrow.
Kaci
May 19, 2008 Kaci rated it really liked it
Borrowed it from a co-worker. I giggled through just about all of it. I'm heading to half price to buy my own copy and to get some more of his collections.
Jo Anne
Sep 05, 2015 Jo Anne rated it really liked it
Warning: do not read anything written by Patrick McManus around other people unless you want odd looks because you will be howling with laughter.
Mechel
Dec 07, 2010 Mechel rated it it was amazing
Patrick embellishes on the truth, OK, he totally makes some things up, but anyone who has a son will see some truth to what he writes about.
Karolinde (Kari)
I never laugh as hard as when I'm reading McManus work. He's a master storyteller and a master of the tall tale.
Siraj Shaikh
Mar 07, 2015 Siraj Shaikh marked it as to-read
It might not be too profound, but I got hooked immediately. And apparently I'm not the only one. All in all, this was one of the most entertaining books that I've read.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Rating System:
Ann
Jul 22, 2007 Ann rated it really liked it
A fun summer read. Lots of good humor about a group of guys growing up in a rural area. The situations might be unsophisticated, but the storytelling produced some embarrassing public laughs.
Dan
Jun 10, 2011 Dan rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
Skimmed a few stories. While I can see how the humor would appeal to a lot of people, it just didn't pull me in.
Angel M.
Sep 06, 2014 Angel M. rated it it was amazing
His stories remind me of days gone by where fathers told their kids about the ridiculous things they did as children. All of his books deserve mentioning.
Stacey
Feb 02, 2009 Stacey rated it liked it
I actually got this in a book swap, otherwise would have never picked it up. Was pretty funny. Lots of little stories, so quick to read. Mainly about silly hunting and fishing stories.
Lee Wahlquist
Oct 01, 2008 Lee Wahlquist rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lee by: B.K. Rowlan
I friend of mine turned me on to this guy. His stories are really entertaining. If you want a good laugh, then get one of his books and read it.
Gena Lott
Apr 18, 2012 Gena Lott rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Once you read his books, you want to go camping! But not without him! He would be the life of the camping party!
Terry
Jul 16, 2012 Terry rated it it was ok
Recommended to Terry by: zelma
Shelves: novel
An almost funny collection of short stories concerning hunting and fishing. Recommended by two well read people:Theresa and Zelma.
Ohr
Ohr rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Scotty Allenton
Scotty Allenton rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
cindy pennell
cindy pennell rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Jesse Wells
Jesse Wells rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
  • If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat?: Misadventures in Hunting, Fishing, and the Wilds of Suburbia
  • Dave Barry Turns Forty
  • Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies: In Search of True Grit
  • The Portable Curmudgeon
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • The Snake Has All the Lines
  • Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)
  • Another Lousy Day in Paradise
  • Once More* *with footnotes
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragonés
  • Photoshop Masking & Compositing
  • E. Godz
  • The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...