Start by marking “Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)

Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  7,056 ratings  ·  160 reviews
One of Cook's most successful--and timelybestsellers. Contagion is a terrifying cautionary tale for the millennium as a deadly epidemic is spread not merely by microbesbut by sabotage...
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Contagion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contagion

Scott Rhee
It boggles my mind how some writers earn their "best-selling author" status. It's not always because they are good writers. Clearly this is the case with Robin Cook, a mediocre writer at best. Cook is also an M.D., and his books generally deal with the medical field. I picked up "Contagion" because I had never actually read a Robin Cook novel before. Perhaps "Contagion" wasn't the best one to start with, or perhaps I wasn't in a "medical thriller" mood when I read this, but it wasn't that good. ...more
Jacob Dalluhn
Imagine weaving in and out of New York traffic on a 15 pound bike going about 30mph 3 inches between cars on a brisk morning in novemeber.Jack Stapleton a forensic pathologist did just that everymorning heating the ever so frequent honk of the horn or someone yelling explitives at him, but i guess u could say he was used to it. One morning he was called into work a little ealier then he would like and it wasn't a good thing. Three patients came in with unkown deaths and no one could figure out w ...more
I read this book on a long road trip because 1) I forgot my books (Feast for Crows and the Marriage Plot) at home 2) I thought it was the novelicular inspiration for Soderbergh's Contagion, and 3) it looked like the most appealing option my father-in-law's Ludlum/Berry/Patterson laden library.

Bad mistake. Wrong. And then another bad mistake.

My first opportunity to exit the book happened early--when Cook gave away the denouement in the first two paragraphs. I didn't take it. No, I dutifully rea
Jessica
I bought this book because I had seen the recent movie titled 'Contagion' and thought that the two were one and the same. I was not particularly impressed with the movie but I always tend to enjoy the books more and the movie felt as if it were missing something so I decided to give this a chance. I'm glad I did because the book was nothing like the movie other than being about an epidemic. I enjoyed this story very much, although there were some minor instances where what I had just read didn't ...more
Books
Have you read any of Robin Cook’s books yet? No? NO??!! Dude!! You have no idea what you’re missing out on! We’re talking epidemic, deadly viruses, panic, conspiracies, drama, confusion, medical negligence, and gangsters! And of course, as with any good medical drama worth its salt, at the center of it all are two competing corporate healthcare giants out to make a quick profit AND an ad company with a near-impossible deadline. If this sounds to you like a heady mix of suspense, intrigue, and ho ...more
James Batchelor
Wow! This might be the single worst ending to a book that I have ever come across. I won't spoil it for those that may choose to read it, but suffice it to say, Cook set up a very interesting story, and torpedoed it with an absolutely implausible, ridiculous ending.
Scholarmuscle
Enjoyable read - I do like the character Dr. Jack Stapleton. I do feel that the premise of the story is good, particularly in light of the news of the CDC's recent oversights and discoveries in labs of old forgotten virulent virus laying around storage. However, the plot could have been tighter and the protagonist's coincidental connection to the mastermind makes the ending seem too contrived. It seems Dr. Cook could have gotten there without some of those tenuous leaps. Yes, he does use some hi ...more
Jacquelynn Fritz
I like medical mysteries but this is another one of Cook's about big medicine. This is a little different as the medical conglomerate isn't the one infecting their patients with short acting infections. Jack Stapleton is medical examiner who lost his previous job as an ophthalogist when AmeriCare took over his practice. Now AmeriCare's large hospital is losing patients to various infections with shorter than normal incubation periods. Jack investigates and finds the culprit. The culprit is a sur ...more
La Tonya
This had to be one of the very best books I have ever read! So entertaining and definitely a huge page turner!! A MUST read!!!!
Ellenjsmellen
Least favorite by Cook.
Almira Ryiexlyz
Book Analysis
Dr. Robin Cook, a graduate of Columbia University Medical School, finished his postgraduate medical training in Harvard. He is the author of the novel, Contagion.
The novel is really wonderful, very detailed and at the same time informative. I am really a fan of Dr. Robin Cook because of his intelligence in connecting biological concepts that are really spine tingling and would unconsciously make you think of possibilities of his medical-thrilling novel’s conflict. The work of a fore
Terri Lynn
Well, I didn't see THAT coming! Robin Cook did a great job with this book. For once I didn't have a clue about a certain person being involved with the deaths until the very latter part of the book.

The prologue begins by introducing us to three people and three incidences which the author says "Three incidences occurred that were totally unrelated yet were to cause a tragic intersection of the lives of three of the people involved."

Those three people were:

(1) A virus and bacteria lover (yes, he
Austin Mccarthy
Summary: In "Contagion", Jack Stapleton, a medical examiner working at one of New York City's morgues, begins to uncover a disturbing pattern among several of his patients that come from the Manhattan General. The Manhatten General is a local hospital that has many odd cases of individuals that are becoming ill and dying from three different strands of rare and deadly diseases (plague, tularemia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever; and the 1918-19 strain of influenza). Jack suspects that someone is in ...more
Kate
George
Nov 11, 2007 George rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Texasmom
Shelves: biccey
When not one but three different extremely rare diseases kill several patients at a New York hospital, forensic pathologist Jack Stapleton suspects it's more than just coincidence. He thinks there's a connection between the appearance of the mysterious microbes responsible for the deaths and the HMO that owns the hospital--the same HMO that once destroyed his flourishing medical practice. Is Americare deliberately killing off its sickest patients--those who cost the most money to treat? Or is th ...more
Tara
Stephanie
This is one of my favorite books. Robin Cook's writing is fantastic and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I loved the characters and just everything. I've also got to admit I was dying to be a medical examiner by the time I was done reading Contagion. Amazing!
Marten Hoyle
Boring, poorly written, overly ridiculous and pathetically predictable. This is definitely the only Robin Cook book I am ever going to read. It was not a good introduction to the author and I wouldn't even recommend it to someone with poor taste in literature.
Kristen
Here's my problem with Robin Cook: He has great concepts, but his prose is clunky. Every time I read the synopsis on the back of one of his books, I get sucked into reading it, but find myself dissatisfied with his writing style. He has to include so much exposition in his dialog that it ends up being unnatural. The idea behind Contagion was, once again, very interesting, but this book was plodding, I didn't care for Jack Stapleton no matter how sympathetic Cook tried to make him, and the last 5 ...more
Kim
Skimmed the whole thing in a few hours tonight. Interesting concept, but poorly told. His description of Harlem in the mid-90s is nothing like I knew it, and his description of anyone who's not a white male is laughable.
Fanatique Francaise
You know that feeling when you pick up a novel by a "Best Selling author" with a promising blurb? When you expect to be enthralled and inspired at every step- and struck totally dumb by the masterful ending?

Yeah, didn't happen.

My first Cook, and I can tell you I have lost all respect for this man. He has in his hands a brilliant story line, some engaging (though bordering on monotonous) characters, and he comes up with the lamest climax in the HISTORY of thrillers.

After finishing the book, the
Paula
Jack Stapleton is the ME at a New York morgue. He has uncovered 4 infectious disease cases in as many days from a local hospital. He is worried that it might be an act of terror. While he is tracking down who may be responsible, he and people around him are in danger of being killed.
Henri Moreaux
In this novel we get to know the cynical and sarcastic Dr Jack Stapleton whose dialogue I must admit I immensely enjoyed. In terms of storyline the basic gist is that there's a set of highly virulent diseases on the lose in a specific hospital and Stapleton thinks there's more to it than just coincidence - enter the medical mystery / forensic pathology novel.

There's enough forensic pathology in there to be interesting, but not so much that someone who is uninterested in such would be turned off
Beverly
Contagion is a terrifying cautionary tale for the millennium as a deadly epidemic is spread not merely by microbes—but by sabotage. OK novel, but all his medical mysteries are the same.
Natasha
I had to travel for work so I brought this book along to distract me. The story was interesting and the pace was very fast, which I liked, but there were a bunch of extra details that seemed as though they were meant as character development that just didn't need to be there (especially since they didn't succeed in developing the characters AND made the book maybe 50-100 pages longer than it needed to be).

If you're looking for a "beach read" or something you don't have to think about very much,
Wysteria
This is a medical mystery/thriller that doesn't actually contain too much medical jargon. The hero, if we can call him that, is a medical examiner in the great New York City. He has a past with a certain healthcare conglomerate that owns one of the hospitals in the city that comes into play in the novel. He also has a past, and not one of those ex-gambling addict, used to be a hitman for the mafia kind of pasts either. He just has a grudge and a sad story, which may or may not be relevant to the ...more
Susan
I love a medical mystery. It was sometimes very predictable, but a good escape and fun to read. That's what I was looking for and this book fit the bill.
Leigh Clemons
Never underestimate the power of a doctor to make microbes boring and predictable--although that might be the meds talking.
Simran Soni
Absolutely loved the pace and the storyline. Robin cook doesn't disappoint one bit! Highly recommend it! A spectacular page turner!
Cris
While I was not overly impressed by the writing nor the ending of the story, I did enjoy the plot, even though it was far-fetched. In addition, I enjoyed being caught off guard by a twist that I did not see coming.
  • Fatal
  • Bloodstream
  • Cold Plague
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • Carriers
  • Implant
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)