Start by marking “A River Out of Eden” as Want to Read:
A River Out of Eden

A River Out of Eden

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  11 reviews
On a night of torrential rain, a warrior appears near the Colombia River, where the Chinook people thrived before the hydroelectric dams came and changed their entire way of life. He has come to reclaim the river, to return it to its original majesty.

Soon after, government employees are found murdered with elaborate harpoons. As the body count grows, Francine Smohalla, a
Published July 9th 2002 by Anchor (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A River Out of Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A River Out of Eden

Judith
I couldn't finish the book. By the time I was 40 pages in, I was so irritated with the author that I had to stop.
That's not exactly what I did.
What I did was throw the book across the room (and I am a mild-mannered grandmotherly type).

I should have been tipped off when, in the preface material, the author whined that no tribal authority would help him with the pronunciation of native words used in the text.

That may be because they'd read it.

Hockenberry engages in the worst kind of stereotypical,
Sarah Imbert
It was awful! I had hopes of it being good since it was based in my home area & talked about so many places I know & love & featured our beautiful Columbia River & the local tribes. But it just never took off. I'm all for standing up & getting your voice heard through activism but not violent activism. As a Native American myself authors writing us in this vein is stigmatizing & harmful to the work the People have done to be heard.
Denesa Oberbeck
I loved the idea of this book, and by the end I was captivated enough to stand in the middle of a busy sidewalk to finish the last paragraphs. I didn't think the writing was the greatest, but I liked the way that each character's perspective was brought forth so that you felt yourself rooting for each one, in spite of their opposing viewpoints.
Patty
I'm sorry, this book was just too outlandish. Fond as we in the Pacific NW may be of John Hockenberry, this apocalyptic murder mystery is just over the top and ridiculous. Did rather enjoy some of the regional themes, places and lore in spite of the absurd plot.
James Cooper
Mark
May 06, 2008 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Edward Abbey
Shelves: signed
This novel appealed to me on several levels. It is a first rate thriller that will keep you reading late into the night. It paints an accurate picture of the Columbia River, its dams and their effects on the people and environment. But it was the last last hundred pages that won me over. Some may consider this a dangerous novel. A book filled with radical notions. Me, being a fan of Ed Abbey, and a self-avowed anarchist, it appealed to my heart and soul.
Laurie
John's mother was my teacher in high school the year he had his accident and I have followed his career since then. I totally enjoyed this book as it kept my attention from start to finish. It was one of those "I can't put it down books".
Joanne
One of my very favourite books - one of the rare ones I have read more than once.
Having just returned from a trip of the Columbia River Gorge, I was reminded of this book because of the setting. Wish this man would write more books like this!!
Francie Shoemaker
We used to stop and watch the Indians fishing there when I was younger.
C Van
Couldn't bring myself to care what happened to the charactors.
Linda
Worth reading if only to preserve the memory of Celilo Falls!
Saad
Saad marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Sarah added it
Jan 03, 2015
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Darlene Reilley
Darlene Reilley marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
April Camuso
April Camuso marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Stephanie Dahlberg
Stephanie Dahlberg marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Mary Ann
Mary Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Feb 04, 2014
Pizza
Pizza added it
Nov 20, 2013
Lois Tromblay
Lois Tromblay marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Moving Violations: War Zones, Wheelchairs, and Declarations of Independence War and Peace Den of Thieves Szenasy, Design Advocate: Writings and Talks by Metropolis Magazine Editor Susan S. Szenasy