Start by marking “The Valley” as Want to Read:
The Valley

The Valley

It's the 1980s, and the inhabitants of Nant Valley in mid-Wales are holding out against the march of the modern world. But times are hard in the village - so when 'outsiders' wrongly believe it to be an idyll, a clash of cultures seems to be the only predictable outcome.
Published February 1st 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

To ask other readers questions about The Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Valley

Ian Mapp
On the plus side, this is a quite funny book, with a couple of brilliant set pieces - the antique collector taking a table from a recent widow who is using the table to rest her dead husbands body and the farmer finding his wife in sexual union with the bank manager. However, it really is a collection of set pieces that are revealed chapter on chapter.

It tells the stories of local characters in the nant valley. Starts with the post man finding a suicide but getting into trouble with his superior
Gary M.
Aug 24, 2012 Gary M. rated it really liked it
What a quirky and wonderful little book. It's all about life in a small Welsh valley during the 1980's and rang perfectly true to me - hey,I should know I've been a valley's boy myself.It is on times laugh out loud funny in places and tenderly touching in others. The fact that it hasn't got a plot in the conventional sense makes it reminiscent in parts of Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood but filtered through the lens of an Ealing comedY.the narrative is much more modern in style and the characters ...more
Alyson
Jan 23, 2016 Alyson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moderately funny, with comic vignettes about (atypical) life in remote mid Wales hill community. Felt each character was perhaps slightly over-blown or more of a stereotype than necessary - there were very few 'normal' characters in the book.

But in generaly, pleasantly funny light novel.
Dorian
May 13, 2015 Dorian rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I didn't hate this book, but it didn't impress me. I've given it two stars because I normally only give one-star ratings to books I truly disliked, and there was nothing about this that I actively hated. I just didn't enjoy it or care for any of the characters. It has a nice cover, though.
Ajitabh Pandey
The book is about the general lifestyle of the people of a small Welsh community trying to cope with the migrants who typically have their own ideas on the country life.
Georgina
Jan 09, 2011 Georgina rated it really liked it
I am wondering whether Barry Pilton was living secretly in my garden shed, as his observation of Mid Walian life is sharp to the point of blood-letting - and an absolute hoot!
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
Geoff
Geoff rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2009
Maarten
Maarten rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2014
Denis Romanov
Denis Romanov rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2012
Lisbeth Tremltte
Lisbeth Tremltte rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2010
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2012
Elin Heron
Elin Heron rated it liked it
May 01, 2011
Suzy
Suzy rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2012
Russell Proctor
Russell Proctor rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2013
Rachel Trezise
Rachel Trezise rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Be Kay
Be Kay rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Tim Shawcross
Tim Shawcross rated it did not like it
Mar 06, 2016
Lesley
Lesley rated it it was ok
May 26, 2015
Gwen
Gwen rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2013
Breda Lynch
Breda Lynch rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2014
Missnicola
Missnicola rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2009
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Gary
Gary rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2010