Start by marking “The Hidden Face of God: How Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Face of God: How Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth

The Hidden Face of God: How Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth

Gerald Schroeder, an MIT-trained scientist who has worked in both physics and biology, has emerged in recent years as one of the most popular and accessible apostles for the melding of science and religion. He first reconciled science and faith as different perspectives on a single whole in The Science of God. Now, in The Hidden Face of God, Schroeder takes a bold step for ...more
Published June 24th 2001 by Free Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Face of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Face of God

Ammar
Jul 01, 2010 Ammar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I extremely recommmend this book which gives a much needed perspective on science in this age of scientific secularism; Dr. Schroeder is in a unique position to give this perspective because he is an accomplished physicist as well as an individual who believes in God in the religion of Judaism. As a muslim myself, I agree with many of his views on science especially his emphasis on the notion that this magnificent wonder-full world was not conceived spontaneously without meticulous wisdom and in
Greta
Jun 14, 2010 Greta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Greta by: Greg
Shelves: spirituality
The author postulates that because the universe is so unfathomably large and our bodies are so unfathomably complex and comprised of things so small, there must be some unifying wisdom behind it all (aka God). I can agree with him because I believe that all this is a bit too much to have come about by random accident, but I don't think he actually proved anything.
Jessaka
Apr 02, 2016 Jessaka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-religion
“The further philosophical problem of there having been a beginning arises with the idea that the beginning of our universe marks the beginning of time, space, and matter. Before our universe came into being, there is every scientific indication that time did not exist. Whatever brought the universe into existence must of course predate the universe, which in turn means that whatever brought the universe into existence must predate time. That which predates time is not bound by time. Not inside ...more
Evonne
Nov 24, 2015 Evonne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting in theory. I found some of the science a little difficult to follow, as evidenced by the fact that I can hardly remember any of it right now. But I do recall while reading it that I was totally immersed.
Leanne
Sep 24, 2012 Leanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
The author does a good job of pointing out the "givens" that have to be accepted by scientists attempting to explain our origins or the way the universe works. However, he relies too much on intelligent design ideas to demonstrate that God must exist, even though intelligent design is a pseudoscientific ideology that has rightly been rejected by serious scientists. Instead of relying on the "God of the gaps" to prove his case, I would have liked to have seen more positive evidence of God's exist ...more
Grace Best-Page
I was enthralled, and still am, about what it takes "just" to see with the human eye. How is it even remotely possible that a system so complex could come about by blind, random chance, and in such a "short" period of time? To believe in Darwinism, where nature doesn't do any designing any more than God does, boggles my mind.
Trey Nowell
Apr 16, 2013 Trey Nowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of the best books I ever read! I cannot tell you how much of a profound impact this book had on me with the DNA structure and ways of looking at how we came to be as humans in relation to God with creating us. A good book for Christians, Jews, Muslims, Theist, Agnostics, and Atheists to gain perspective.
Elena Johansen
DNF @ 10%, I actually became angry at this book for the incredibly flawed logic, false dichotomies, and false equivalencies. I couldn't take anymore.
Tamra
Nov 10, 2008 Tamra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains scientific facts about gravity, physics, biology, etc. that will blow your mind. Some gather an appreciation for the Divine through bible study; others can read this book and marvel at the myriad ways the Divine is known to us through scientific discoveries.
Shayna Abrams
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the Science of G-d. It was harder to understand and it was a little redundant. But - at the same time, I can't knock it totally because I finished it and wanted a little more.
Kari
Jan 07, 2012 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was written for readers in one of the tiniest, most specific niches in the world. I can't remember why I thought of reading it, and chapter 3 was good, but it's an eyebrow-raiser/jaw-dropper at some points.
Steve Carr
I will have to come back to this one at some point. The details Schroeder teases out of the world around us are fascinating, but many of them are just technical enough to make it a laborious read.
B G
Dec 22, 2012 B G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting view of our world. The author combines science, psychology, and religion to explain many mysterious of our universe, from formation of planets to cell proteins.
Haley Davidson
A bit unclear at times, but fantastic. This book really opened my eyes to some of this world's greatest wonders, and opened my mind to ideas I had never thought of before.
Chris Kalbach
Good book, with a lot of information in it. Overall I found it pretty boring to read. It also lacks the depth and scope of some others in the realm of science.
Rowdy
Jul 25, 2011 Rowdy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling read for both the believer and non-believer.
Stephanie
Aug 04, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Worth reading again.
Hussein Kamal
Hussein Kamal marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
david glowacki
david glowacki is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2016
Janet
Janet is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2016
Maria Werries
Maria Werries marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Theng-hian Ng
Theng-hian Ng marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Aimée Granger
Aimée Granger marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
David E Hall
David E Hall rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Jarrett Clay
Jarrett Clay marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Ghadeer
Ghadeer marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
  • Beyond the Cosmos: What Recent Discoveries in Astrophysics Reveal About the Glory and Love of God
  • Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between Science Theology
  • Reason in the Balance: The Case Against Naturalism in Science, Law Education
  • Evolution: A Theory In Crisis
  • The Privileged Planet: How Our Place in the Cosmos Is Designed for Discovery
  • Belief: Readings on the Reason for Faith
  • God and the Astronomers
  • Treatise of Revolutionary Psychology: The Gnostic Method of Real Spiritual Awakening
  • Genetic Entropy & the Mystery of the Genome
  • The Key to Theosophy
  • The Philosopher’s Stone: Alchemy and the Secret Research for Exotic Matter
  • The Da Vinci Deception
19170
Gerald L. Schroeder is a scientist, author, and lecturer, who focuses on what he perceives to be an inherent relationship between science and spirituality.

In 1965, Schroeder received his Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in nuclear physics and earth and planetary sciences. He worked five years on the staff of the MIT physics department. After emigrating to Israel in 1971, he was
More about Gerald Schroeder...

“The real question is why is there “being”? The existence of existence is amazing, awesome.” 11 likes
“Spirituality not rooted in the reality of life’s material needs rarely effects a meaningful gain.” 7 likes