Start by marking “True Colors (True Colors, #1)” as Want to Read:
True Colors (True Colors, #1)

True Colors (True Colors #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  566 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
From the very first, Zeke Roswell and Miles Winter are like oil and water. After a tragic fire claimed his brother's life, Zeke's personal and professional life spiraled out of control, and now he has no choice but to sell his gallery to cover his debts. Enter successful entrepreneur Miles, who buys it and plans to make a commercial success out of Zeke's failure. Their ini ...more
Published May 11th 2009 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about True Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Colors

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon Suede
The Best of Gay Romance
241st out of 2,656 books — 2,850 voters
Muscling Through by J.L. MerrowSno Ho by Ethan DayClear Water by Amy LaneFrog by Mary CalmesCaught Running by Madeleine Urban
Best Gay Light-Hearted Romance
99th out of 290 books — 368 voters

More lists with this book...

Daisiemae
Clare London is a fairly new author for me. Before I read True Colors, I had only read a short story by her. Even after I bought True Colors, it sat unread in my e-files for a couple of weeks. Since I am notorious for arranging and rearranging the books I will be reading, I am very disappointed with myself for constantly putting this book on the back burner. Shame on me!

In one word, True Colors is simply AWESOME!

When Zeke Roswell’s older brother died, Zeke’s world as he knew it came to an end.
JenMcJ
Jun 15, 2009 JenMcJ rated it really liked it
Cyn Coons
Jun 15, 2009 Cyn Coons rated it it was amazing
Shelves: boy-smut, smut
I’ve truly enjoyed everything that I’ve read by Clare London and this is no exception. She’s got a way of having her characters angst that allows you to wallow in their misery without pushing it over the top. She’s also got a gift of making her characters just flawed enough to be real while still keeping it believable. Throw in sex scenes that are enough to scorch the type off the page and I am one happy, happy girl.

Zeke is an artist, who through some pretty nasty circumstances, is selling his g
Candice
May 26, 2012 Candice rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, erotica
It took a little bit to get into the story, seemed kinda slow in the beginning for me, but soon the pace started to pick up. I liked how Zeke and Miles' relationship developed slowly, so slowly it seemed that neither really realized it was happening at first and sort of took them book by surprise. They were complete opposites, but as their relationship changed so did they and ended up complimenting each other so well. While there was a sort of mystery going on in the background, it really wasn't ...more
Alicia J
I was entranced from the very beginning of this story. Both Zeke and Miles seemed so separated from the world around them, so insulated. Zeke by his grief and anger, Miles by his seeming boredom with his life. I really felt their distance, which actually made it difficult at first to connect with the story. But then the two meet, and the fireworks began. This is a deeply moving story of how these two finally learn how to engage with the world around them by giving in to the connection between ea ...more
Chris
Nov 15, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2010, reread, 2011, ebook
4.5 stars. This turned out to be a very good and intense m/m romance after a sort of shaky start – I almost put the book away because there were so many different people introduced in the first few pages and I couldn’t figure out who was important and who was peripheral. But in the end? Totally redeemed, because Clare London deftly tied in those seemingly extraneous introductory bits.
-------------
Just as enjoyable when I reread it. :)
Heller
Aug 21, 2012 Heller rated it really liked it
This was such a treat. Wild child Zeke paired with the button-downed Miles. I have to say I love the art world setting here, I haven't read a lot of books dealing with that subject and I found it fascinating. More so I think because Miles is color blind so he had a more visceral connection to all the art he collected and found interesting to him. I know the next art show I go I'll be looking at what's around me from a different perspective.

I love these opposites attract kind of stories because
Fangtasia
Jun 08, 2012 Fangtasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True to what I expect from this author: good characterization, interesting plot, and scorching hot sex scenes.

I had a couple of niggles: when did Carter become such good friends with Miles? If it happened on page, I missed it. Also, I knew who the villain was during the first scene she's on. The resolution to the "mystery" was a bit...how shall I say this? Too easy and passionless. At least that's how it felt to me. Finally, this story had a bit too much sex. I never thought I'd say this last,
Kassa
Aug 15, 2009 Kassa rated it really liked it
I have to say I didn’t intend to read this so fast. I thought I would read the first few pages just to get a feel for the story and then put it down for later. Well, I ended up completely absorbed in the story and didn’t want to put it down until I finished. While not without problems, this book is still engaging, interesting, creative, and absorbing with great complicated characters and a solid, well-written story. There is even a mystery side plot that is unfortunately completely unnecessary a ...more
L-D
Almost 5 stars for me. I'm not sure if this is almost 5 stars because I read it as part of a buddy read, but at any rate, I really enjoyed it.

Zeke Roswell is an artist who has lost everything - his brother, his gallery, his art. Miles Winter is an extremely successful young entrepreneur who steps in and buys Zeke's gallery. Both Zeke and Miles have trouble truly relating with other people, so when you mix the two of them together, conversation is stilted at best and borderline antagonistic. Zeke
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Aug 16, 2012 Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions rated it did not like it
Recommended to Bubbles Hunty by: JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Omg at 10% and this is so slow.

I really hate how the first two povs are females. I really had no interest in them or their orgasms. If I wanted to read about lusty females I'd read MF.

Then it switches to some random friend of zekes pov for a really slow and boring scene.

Then to miles and his slutty friend for a boring and confusing conversation. It's written in distant 3rd person which I don't like or connect to at all. It really annoys me the way it's written with stuff like "the blonde stoo
Michelle B
Oct 23, 2011 Michelle B rated it really liked it
I read this first from Ms. London, and I think it has some very well-realized main characters and an emotional depth to the story that was lacking in Sparks Fly (a very different book.) I reread it immediately (as I do with most m/m romance books) and it was just as good on the second read. In reading this story, you can see how each man develops a deeper, richer understanding of himself and what he needs and wants in a partner.

There isn't much suspense about the ending (there rarely is) but I w
djeterg19
Aug 29, 2011 djeterg19 rated it really liked it
This was my first Clare London book and I genuinely enjoyed it. I liked the interaction between Zeke and Miles. The mystery wasn't much of a mystery but it also wasn't the main focus of the book. Red and Carter were also very enjoyable as secondary characters. Overall a good read!
Candice
Someone give me a medal. I finished it!!!!

I've had this on my TBR for what? A year? Somewhere around there, probably less. Still, the cover kept taunting me when I would look at my TBR. I finally said "Why not?" I saw the rating and thought it should be good. To be honest, I have no idea where the high ratings are coming from. Did they read the same thing I did? I was almost ready to give up at 8% in. For me, it was SO slow. I kept wanting something to happen. Maybe have the two MC's together mo
Jilrene ♥
I’m a bit surprised how much I liked this book overall. At 20% I was concerned I wouldn’t finish. It just took off after that. I can’t explain what was different. Maybe the interactions between Miles and Zeke were better, I’m not sure. Whatever the reason, I can recommend this book. Miles starts repressed or controlled, maybe even cold, but then he loosens up and becomes vulnerable and needy. Zeke is just needy the whole way through the story. ;-) Secondary characters get a lot of screen time; s ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Jan 23, 2014 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: Valerie ~Valruca~
I thoroughly enjoyed this story-- even when I wanted to slap Zeke, the temperamental artist. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I did like it because I only read it as a prequel to Flying Colors, a book from which I heard Clare London read at GRL Atlanta. After her reading, I knew I had to have that book but being the logical, sequential person I am, I knew I had to read this one first.

What did I like? I was very impressed with the characterization. These men were three dimensional, not the
Merwan
Jul 13, 2009 Merwan rated it really liked it
Lena Grey
Apr 20, 2016 Lena Grey rated it it was amazing
“Like fire to ice, I'll melt you with my love. The flame's gonna burn until the walls come down. Like fire to ice, I'll touch you to warn you, the burning won't stop until the walls come tumbling down.” ~ Noel At first glance, Miles and Zeke of 'True Colors' by Clare London, seem to be like fire and ice, as different as two men can be, but their hearts are in the same place. Their differences add friction and sparkle; the similarities provide comfort and love.

Zeke is spontaneous and eccentric,
Elizabetta

Take one hot, passionate, mercurial artist…

add one cool, collected, sexy entrepreneur…

and shake vigorously.

What really hooks me in is the simmering attraction between Zeke and Miles. I get drunk on it. Good to remember; the story starts slowly and you have to be patient as the author carefully sketches out personalities and setting.

But patience pays off as the guys get a bead on each other and we get a sweet, slow-burn romance. The reader sits comfortably, we get it, as we wait for Zeke and M
Charly
Oct 31, 2012 Charly rated it really liked it
Liked some parts of it very much but was disappointed by others

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- Hot sex scenes--frequent and descriptive without overshadowing the story. And there’s one scene in which the characters only kiss that is just fabulous.
- Sweet, romantic gesture and ensuing moment between the two main characters at an art show.
- Hints at a lovely secondary romance that I hope, hope, hope London will write another book about. P
Claudia
May 22, 2016 Claudia rated it really liked it
Wow! speak of emotion and gut wrenching developments! this book is really great on the character side - there is real depth there and I loved how the relationship developed. also there is a lot of sparks.
it was a bit low on the plot ... which I expected after reading the description.

nevertheless, I really enjoyed this book
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 09, 2012 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook
This book starts out slowly, takes its time introducing the characters and setting up the story. Then, as the story takes shape and the characters come together, it grabs you and keeps you hooked until the end. When Zeke and Miles are together, you can almost feel the sexual tension in the room. These two are smokin hot together. I especially like how the tension level does not seem to lessen as their relationship progresses.

Miles' friend, Red, is fabulous. I would love to see him and David get
ElaineY
Aug 17, 2009 ElaineY rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Finally read this. A hand injury that's causing a lot of pain and a hectic schedule diminished with my enjoyment of reading these past weeks. As a result, I found True Colors a little too long, sagged a bit in the middle but, thankfully, finished well.

Zeke was like a huge jigsaw puzzle in its box. Tip it out and there're like a zillion different pieces that are supposed to fit...somehow. Most of the time, he was a jumble of colors and emotions but like Miles, I plodded on, determined to finish
Jamie
May 21, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, own-kobo-yhoo

This almost works, it's a nice slow burn. Zeke is the up and coming artist who has lost it all and is now just living in the bottle. Miles is the super successful businessman who doesn't have much outside of his success. But the POVs are confusing because we open with women and there are a lot of women in this. There are reasons for it, but it makes it a bit tough to get started. I did like the resolution although the mystery was a bit "pat". I want to read the next book, I liked Carter
Vallie
Oct 27, 2013 Vallie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spicy-hot, mm
4.5 wonderful stars!

I love stories about artists where we get to read about how the art was created or get details deascription of the art work. Zeke's voice sounded so real to me, so different, so unique. I am not writing a review, but I highly highly highly recommend this book to mm fans who like steamy romance with really strong character development. So worth it.
Emily G
Aug 01, 2010 Emily G rated it it was amazing
This book was just what I wanted: an easy read with romance, a touch of angst but ultimately, a happy ending.

Zeke and Miles are such opposites, but cannot escape each other's gravitational pull. Thank goodness! As the reader can see how their differences will compliment each other and they will make an unstoppable team.

Another great book, Clare!
Lee
Sep 21, 2010 Lee rated it it was amazing
I don't think there is much I can add that I haven't already said in my "currently reading" updates. I absolutely loved this book. This is my first Clare London book, but it won't be my last. I loved the two main characters and how well they were tied to the minor characters. A+
Ms. Nikki
May 29, 2010 Ms. Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
More like 2 1/2 Stars~ At times this read was drawn out. Towards the end I found myself bored with all the "talking" and the story was too easily/conveniently wrapped up.
Susinok
Oct 16, 2013 Susinok rated it it was amazing
Miles and Zeke were wonderfully complex characters. I was a bit confused as to where this story was set, though. Was it London? New York? I couldn't tell.
J.P. Bowie
Dec 08, 2010 J.P. Bowie rated it really liked it
Well written, a bit too wordy for my complete enjoyment, but still a gripping story of two men seeking completion while dealing with their own internal trauma.
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Second Sight
  • Alternative Treatment
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • Snow Angel
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Beyond the Norm
  • Rough Draft
  • Joshua's Muse
  • Hot Weather
  • And a Smile - Season One (Roughstock, #2)
  • Liquid Glass
  • Sursein Judgment
  • Heart Doctor (City Hospital, #1)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Tabloid Star (Tabloid Star, #1)
Clare took the pen name London from the city where she lives, loves, and writes. A lone, brave female in a frenetic, testosterone-fuelled family home, she juggles her writing with her other day job as an accountant. She’s written in many genres and across many settings, with award-winning novels and short stories published both online and in print. She says she likes variety in her writing while f ...more
More about Clare London...

True Colors (5 books)
  • Ambush (True Colors, #2)
  • Payback (True Colors, #3)
  • Switch (True Colors, #4)
  • Flying Colors (True Colors, #5)

“He couldn't tell Zeke how they would be tomorrow, because he didn't know that answer yesterday, did he?” 1 likes