Start by marking “Glint” as Want to Read:
Glint

Glint

Ellie and her little brother Danny spend their lonely days making up stories about a young girl in a world of dragons and shape-shifters, a girl as brave and cunning as "they" would like to be. Five years later Danny disappears. The police have no clues. They fear he is dead, but Ellie knows better. She also knows that she is the only one who can find him.

At the same time,
Published January 1st 2007 by Eos (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Glint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glint

Lacey Librarian
May 24, 2012 Lacey Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book originally caught my attention because it follows two stories -- one that's happening in "real life" and one that's imaginary, and the line between reality and imagination is a concept that continues to fascinate me. Of the two stories, I preferred the "real-life" one, which involved a girl trying to find her missing younger brother. There were clear parallels between the real and imaginary stories, but they weren't as predictable or as obvious as they could have been -- it took a litt ...more
Miriam
Jul 25, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, mystery
The blurb says, "As each girl makes her way closer to her goal, the boundaries between the worlds of fantasy and reality begin to blur until it's unclear where one world ends and the other begins." Um, no. They are entirely distinct. Do not pick up this book waiting to see when Ellie and Danny's ordinary, small-town life crosses into fantasy because that DOESN'T HAPPEN. The stories are analogous because Ellie and Danny are the ones who made Argent up. Ellie is shy and uses bold Argent as a model ...more
Sarajay
Dec 20, 2008 Sarajay rated it it was amazing
Glint was the very first book i ACTUALLY read! And yes i was very proud of myself ^-^! I find it to be a great book, and i never got bored reading it. The story always put you on edge making you want to know what happens next! It was almost impossible for me to put down, which means A LOT!
Morgan
Sep 24, 2010 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Switching back and forth was a little challenging because I would get wrapped into one story and then the next would start up and I would get wrapped right back up in that one. It was like reading two books at once and neither you could put down. ooo and the twist!!! amazing
Aelvana
Sep 07, 2016 Aelvana rated it it was ok
Everyone likes Ellie's little brother Danny. He's such a happy, friendly kid. So when he mysteriously disappears, her life veers into a hard quest to find him again, to prove her father innocent as well as restore the life they used to have.

Argent enjoys watching dragons hatch, even though her village bears the creatures no love. Dragons radiate enough heat to engulf anything near them in flames, and when Argent witnesses a baby being kidnapped, her village is more interested in destroying the d
Patrick
Mar 08, 2010 Patrick rated it liked it
Lacey Louwagie
Feb 28, 2012 Lacey Louwagie rated it really liked it
Samantha Boyette
Apr 02, 2013 Samantha Boyette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I read this ages ago and it's never really left my mind, although the title did! Finally I figured it out and reread it. Still just as good as the first time.

This is a wonderful blending of a fantasy story and a mystery in one. When Ellie's brother Danny goes missing, she has to call on the strength of Argent a character she made up years earlier in order to brave trying to find him. Meanwhile, as Danny lies drugged and alone, he imagines Argent's quest to save a baby dragon.

Both the main girl
Cathleen Ash
Ellie and her little brother Danny are close - close enough to get into trouble a lot as kids. They create a fantasy world where Argent - a girl who is the exact opposite of Ellie (outgoing, brave, adventurous) Once they even tattooed a spiral mark on their ankles! But now Ellie’s older, has a boyfriend, and on Danny’s 11th birthday, Danny disappears.
Suddenly, Ellie’s family is torn apart, the police are living in their house, and Danny is still nowhere to be found. Instead, he’s hiding in Arge
Ashes Tahg
Mar 07, 2012 Ashes Tahg rated it it was amazing
There has been some hate against this book, but all I can say, was it was wonderful. While Ellie and Argent's worlds never exactly crossed, in a sub form way, they did. The journey they took, the hero who came (now...should I like Lukos, or Miguel more? Hmmm...), it was identical. I entirely enjoyed this read. The only difficulty was the switching back and forth from Argent to Ellie. While it wasn't at all confusing, it was...what's the word? Annoying isn't right, but it kept me reading. I had t ...more
Ashley
Mar 07, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Glint is interesting in that it follows two stories. The first is the story of 15-year old Ellie, whose younger brother disappears on his 11th birthday. The second is the story of the imaginary amateur dragon-scholar, Argent, who heads off on a desperate quest to save a stolen baby dragon.

As the book goes on, the transition between each story becomes a little more seamless, but switching back and forth does mean that each plotline is slightly less developed and has a few too many moments of con
Jessica
Sep 27, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I found myself thoroughly gripped by this book - it's not at all what I expected. Ellie's desperate determination to find her brother is such a heartbreaking journey, you really feel for her along the way. The parallels between the twists Ellie's search for Danny takes and Argent's quest to find and save a baby dragon really adds to the novel's suspense. And the ending - wow. I had my suspicions, but the last scenes of the book were still absolutely shocking. With each turn of the page, I was mo ...more
Nique J
May 29, 2013 Nique J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, favorites
One of my absolute favorite novels. How Coburn mixed fantasy with reality is simply amazing! The blend was just right, and it kept me on the edge of my seat. I have read it four times over - and I normally don't read a book again unless I absolutely want to relive the plot over and over again, and breathe in its pages, as if I am going to get sucked up into the story book any time soon.
Grace Makley
Aug 31, 2011 Grace Makley rated it liked it
A pretty young book. Not much complexity in plot, and a lot of telling (instead of showing). Still, if one is expecting a juvenile read... it wasn't bad. Kept my interest well enough. Could have been much more engaging emotionally, though. Anyway, interesting concept for dragons, and an interesting concept for the book... but I think I could have felt it more.
Christine
Jul 21, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
Interesting parallel historical fantasy versus fiction based reality coming of age drama. I suspect there is a sequel. I enjoyed the resolution, though the story kept me on edge. A bit of mystery weaved into the brother's kidnapping journey.
A
Oct 24, 2010 A rated it it was ok
I liked the intermingled story line but near the end, I found myself skimming in order to pluck out the relevant bits. Near the end, the author seemed to kind of drag the descriptions out a bit. Solid enough book.
Kathy Wawer
Jun 13, 2013 Kathy Wawer rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fantasy
An 11-yr-old boy goes missing. Hs sister is desperate to find him and starts following the path of an old game they made up. In a medieval setting a girl goes on a mission to save a dragon. Has that world taken her brother?
Good suspenseful read
Arlene
May 10, 2008 Arlene rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Interesting and I liked it, but I'm not sure what the author was really trying to say with the parallel worlds.
Anna
Feb 11, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it
I love kidnapping books because they are so entertaining.
Sondra L
Sep 08, 2010 Sondra L rated it really liked it
great book, i recommend it to teens
Jing
Jun 08, 2008 Jing rated it liked it
It's pretty good, but I was kind of disappointed because I was expecting them to morph or something, but they only had parallel stories.
Jen
Feb 14, 2008 Jen rated it did not like it
Not my favorite
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2008
Grace Liu
Grace Liu rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2017
Cora Pack
Cora Pack rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Adi
Adi rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Frida Karlsson
Frida Karlsson rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Rhianna Lucy
Rhianna Lucy rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2013
Roshana Davies
Roshana Davies rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Murkmere (Murkmere Hall, #1)
  • The Chaos King (Wall and the Wing, #2)
  • Bronze Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #2)
  • Rumpled
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Exploits of a Reluctant (But Extremely Goodlooking) Hero
  • The Switchers Trilogy (Switchers, #1-3)
  • The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)
  • That Girl Lucy Moon
  • Ella Mental: And the Good Sense Guide
  • Obsession: An Erotic Tale
  • The Golden Book of Faerie (The Chronicles of Faerie, #1-4)
  • Fringe Girl (Fringe Girl, #1)
  • Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)
  • Dark Waters