Start by marking “White Noise” as Want to Read:
White Noise

White Noise

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
First came One Red Dot , next Blue 2 , 600 Black Spots , Yellow Square , and finally White Noise, the fifth installment of David A. Carter's acclaimed color series! Modern and elegant paper engineering and text are certain to awe children of all ages.

Paper-over-board book has 9 spreads of pop-ups. Book is packaged in a resealable polybag with a sell sheet
Novelty Book, 20 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by Little Simon (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about White Noise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Noise

Mylinh
A gorgeous pop up book that I would love to have on my coffee table. The short text, movement of the artwork, and as the sound the various pages make make for a very interactive, and imaginative work. A great example of a "different" kind of book. Could spark a conversation about what is a book and what makes a book. Would also inspire readers to try to make their own pop-up creations.

From School Library Journal
Grade 3 Up—Carter's fifth installment in his innovative, color-themed paper-sculpture
Gail Cooke
Nov 07, 2009 Gail Cooke rated it it was amazing
Following his amazing, highly successful paper structure series (One Red Dot, Blue 2, 600 Black Spots, Yellow Square) the ingenious David Carter presents his final volume, WHITE NOISE, a nonpareil pop-up book for everyone from two to 92.

Beginning with "Rainbow bubble blast and crackly white noise," the pages sing as they are opened. In fact, they both spring and sing as the incredible boldly colored structures leap from the page. As the author has noted, "On some pages the sound is subtle, and
Robert Beveridge
David A. Carter, White Noise (Simon and Schuster, 2009)

I love the idea of this. It's a pop-up book where the pop-ups are specifically designed to create noise as you turn the pages. It's a great idea, and you can see the inherent-interest factor among preschoolers. A few minutes of reflection, though, and you can see the drawback in this idea: repeated use is going to kill this book pretty quick. (Side note: this is one you pretty much never want to try and get from the library.) And since the c
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 04, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
This book tries to visually represent the idea of "white noise" or background noises. Mostly sudden, dramatic noises, based on the pictures. Some of the pop-up images even create sounds (I'm assuming the ones that are represented by the visuals). No plot, just fun.
Tomas Howells
May 11, 2015 Tomas Howells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I turned my nose up at this a few years ago when I first got it and didn't read it but now I get it and love it.
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-2014
Pretty cool, I liked 600 Black spots better. Not going to last long in the library. Plus... it's noisy.
Sophia W
May 26, 2014 Sophia W rated it it was amazing
Another amazing example f what you can do with paper.
Brenna McEvitt
May 03, 2011 Brenna McEvitt rated it liked it
Shelves: k-3-books
I don't read many pop-up books, but I loved this one! Not only does Carter have pop-up illustrations, but the illustrations make sounds, as well. I would love to use this book as a model for different kinds of illustrations or art. Students could work on their own pop-up illustrations or just work on pictures with a sound element. This book is a NAPPA Honors Award Winner and was listed on the New York Times Best Illustrated Books list.
paula
It's a masterpiece. Kinetic sculpture, with engineered sounds. I hope to see kids peering into all the crevices, trying to figure out how those sounds are created and how the pieces move. If you haven't finished your holiday shopping, this is a nice choice for a still moment on Christmas morning. Everyone will want to try it.
Lauren Brown
Sep 05, 2013 Lauren Brown rated it did not like it
Shelves: elementary
"White Noise" is an interactive book with pop-up pictures and textured pages. The text was not interesting and I found myself scanning over the words just to get through it. The pop-up pieces were very cool to look at, but very abstract. I don't think young children would be able to understand.
Marcie
This is one of the pop-ups in David A. Carters number/color series. It is simply astonishing what he can create with just paper and string.
Hilary
Mar 16, 2010 Hilary rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Expensive (after all, this is a paper-engineered book) but fun. Masterful "pop ups" are noisy, kinetic, and fascinating. Handle gently!
Melody
Feb 27, 2011 Melody rated it really liked it
Not really a book in my age group anymore! Although it has beautiful pop-ups. I would recommend it to any small child.
Miri
Oct 16, 2012 Miri rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
Same as 600 Black Spots .
Huda
Apr 04, 2011 Huda rated it liked it
Shelves: en-pic-books
PoP Up lovers would enjoy this book. I think it's smartly made; however, it's EASILY damaged.
Beth
Sep 17, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, intricate art. Difficult to use without damaging the book.
Susan
Jun 30, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Sheer, simple delight.
Erin Browner
Erin Browner marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Barb Huelsbeck
Barb Huelsbeck marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Lines Between
Lines Between rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Kevin Eliot Jayce
Kevin Eliot Jayce rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Zoe Barnard
Zoe Barnard marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Jane Kenny
Jane Kenny marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Yumephy
Yumephy rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Emmalina
Emmalina rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015