White Noise

White Noise

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  15 reviews
First came One Red Dot , next Blue 2 , 600 Black Spots , Yellow Square , and finally White Noise, the fifth installment of David A. Carter's acclaimed color series! Modern and elegant paper engineering and text are certain to awe children of all ages.

Paper-over-board book has 9 spreads of pop-ups. Book is packaged in a resealable polybag with a sell sheet
Board Book, 20 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about White Noise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Noise

Mylinh
A gorgeous pop up book that I would love to have on my coffee table. The short text, movement of the artwork, and as the sound the various pages make make for a very interactive, and imaginative work. A great example of a "different" kind of book. Could spark a conversation about what is a book and what makes a book. Would also inspire readers to try to make their own pop-up creations.

From School Library Journal
Grade 3 Up—Carter's fifth installment in his innovative, color-themed paper-sculpture...more
Gail Cooke
Following his amazing, highly successful paper structure series (One Red Dot, Blue 2, 600 Black Spots, Yellow Square) the ingenious David Carter presents his final volume, WHITE NOISE, a nonpareil pop-up book for everyone from two to 92.

Beginning with "Rainbow bubble blast and crackly white noise," the pages sing as they are opened. In fact, they both spring and sing as the incredible boldly colored structures leap from the page. As the author has noted, "On some pages the sound is subtle, and...more
Robert Beveridge
David A. Carter, White Noise (Simon and Schuster, 2009)

I love the idea of this. It's a pop-up book where the pop-ups are specifically designed to create noise as you turn the pages. It's a great idea, and you can see the inherent-interest factor among preschoolers. A few minutes of reflection, though, and you can see the drawback in this idea: repeated use is going to kill this book pretty quick. (Side note: this is one you pretty much never want to try and get from the library.) And since the c...more
Elizabeth
Pretty cool, I liked 600 Black spots better. Not going to last long in the library. Plus... it's noisy.
SophiaW CLC
Another amazing example f what you can do with paper.
Brenna McEvitt
I don't read many pop-up books, but I loved this one! Not only does Carter have pop-up illustrations, but the illustrations make sounds, as well. I would love to use this book as a model for different kinds of illustrations or art. Students could work on their own pop-up illustrations or just work on pictures with a sound element. This book is a NAPPA Honors Award Winner and was listed on the New York Times Best Illustrated Books list.
paula
It's a masterpiece. Kinetic sculpture, with engineered sounds. I hope to see kids peering into all the crevices, trying to figure out how those sounds are created and how the pieces move. If you haven't finished your holiday shopping, this is a nice choice for a still moment on Christmas morning. Everyone will want to try it.
Lauren Brown
"White Noise" is an interactive book with pop-up pictures and textured pages. The text was not interesting and I found myself scanning over the words just to get through it. The pop-up pieces were very cool to look at, but very abstract. I don't think young children would be able to understand.
Marcie
This is one of the pop-ups in David A. Carters number/color series. It is simply astonishing what he can create with just paper and string.
Hilary
Expensive (after all, this is a paper-engineered book) but fun. Masterful "pop ups" are noisy, kinetic, and fascinating. Handle gently!
Melody
Not really a book in my age group anymore! Although it has beautiful pop-ups. I would recommend it to any small child.
Huda
PoP Up lovers would enjoy this book. I think it's smartly made; however, it's EASILY damaged.
Beth Cronk
Fascinating, intricate art. Difficult to use without damaging the book.
Susan
Sheer, simple delight.
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Jackie
Jackie added it
Jun 19, 2014
Olivia_kids
Olivia_kids marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Té
marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
600 Black Spots One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages Love Bugs How Many Bugs in a Box?: A Pop Up Counting Book Easter Bugs