Start by marking “An Outrageous Affair” as Want to Read:
An Outrageous Affair

An Outrageous Affair

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  932 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
The latest dramatic bestseller by Overlook's most popular author Penny Vincenzi there are over 500,000 copies of Penny's books in print in the U.S., and millions more worldwide!

A mysterious, tragic accident in the 1950s. An inexplicable suicide twenty years later. What was the strange link between the two and Caroline Hunterton's long-buried past? A secret which could not
Published (first published 1993)

Psirene
Jan 02, 2009 Psirene rated it it was ok
I found this book tedious to read. I have enjoyed Vincenzi's trilogy and other novels but this book was trashier and led to disapointment. The scandal referred to in the title is hinted at through out the novel but only emergeds in detail at the end. The novel is the story of Caroline and her daughters Chloe and Fleur and the men that they love. The only likeable characters are three men that play supporting roles in the dramatic lives of the women characters, Jack, Caroline's groom, Ruebin, Fle ...more
Jody
May 23, 2010 Jody rated it it was ok
Nothing makes me more crazy than when an author takes 624 pages in tiny typeface to say what could have been written in 200 pages or less. By page 300, I was completely bored, yet too far into the book to give up. Vincenzi does have the gift of dangling a tantalizing conflict to make you keep reading, but by page 500, I didn't really care anymore. I just wanted it to be over. My advice? Don't bother. The end did not justify the long meandering means of this book.
Merty
Aug 09, 2009 Merty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished this book that seemed like it was taking forever
t o get to the end. But the ending was very rewarding.
It certainly was a soap opera but Penny V. kept it all in stride and
interesting each time I picked up the book.
One certainly has to be in the mood for this type of book, as it
is very wordy but the characters kept it all interesting in that I wanted to find out where this was all taking me to the end.
I will definately read another P.V. book!
Brittany Johnson
Jan 19, 2016 Brittany Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For more review, please visit http://fortheloveoftheread.blogspot.com

As a fan of Vincenzi, I pick up her novels knowing that I'm going to read an investing, intriguing family saga that is well-written. This one did not disappoint.

The book kicks off when Caroline is a teenager and eventually molds through her adulthood and her children growing up. Caroline's love affair with Brendan, an American military man, profoundly affects the future of her entire family. There are also ties to Hollywood in
Melissa Kayden
Feb 01, 2011 Melissa Kayden rated it it was ok
I generally love Vincenzi's books, but this one was not one of my favorites. It seemed to me that she was trying to make the story more involved than it needed to be to be good. I didn't really find any of the characters likable - not even the protaganists. I was pretty disappointed by this one, but will continue reading her books since I have loved the others.
Apr 15, 2009 Laura rated it did not like it
This is supposed to be a page-turning family saga but by about page 100 I didn't care about any of the characters or where the story was going. So I have abandoned it. There doesn't seem to be a Goodreads category for that.
Kateddo1
Aug 11, 2015 Kateddo1 rated it liked it
A bit long winded in parts, but I enjoyed reading. I didn't like how personalities seemed too 'set' though, like a lot of the main characters had one main thing that was described over and over - Brendan was naive, Caroline was upper class, Fleur was ambitious, Chloe was loyal. There was just something about it that didn't seem realistic. However, as a change and a 'light' read it was fine.
Regina
Mar 13, 2014 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without giving away too many details, I'll simply say I loved this book. It has everything: romance (ill-fated of course), historical context, English Theatre as well as Hollywood ties, an illegitimate daughter... Very high drama, in depth characters, a mysterious death; just marvelous! Can't wait to sink my teeth into more by this author!
Mary
Apr 03, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
This saga follows Caroline Hunterton from 1942 through the next thirty years. As her daughters, Fluer, and Chloe, age, they too become major characters with secrets they will discover. I love Vincenzi's novels, but this was not her best.
ireadnovels.wordpress.com
Jun 04, 2014 ireadnovels.wordpress.com rated it it was amazing
Although Penny Vincenzi writes very long novels, I always manage to read them untill the end. It may take me a long time to read one of her books but I really love her stories. I have read many of her books.
Meredith Morgan
Dec 07, 2015 Meredith Morgan rated it liked it
I have read a few of Penny's books and this was a vast interrelated saga with a large cast of characters, it wasn't as enjoyable as other books. I was still engrossed, but this isn't one that I will read again,
Jeanne Beaudet
Apr 29, 2015 Jeanne Beaudet rated it it was amazing
This is a really good chick lit sort of book.
Claire Arceo
Jan 02, 2016 Claire Arceo marked it as to-read
interesting story..
Judy O'Laoi
An intirguing tale of illicit relationships, and how the various affairs entwine a family, across two countries. I don't rate this as well as other Vincenzi novels I have read, however I did enjoy it.
Aislinn
Apr 22, 2014 Aislinn rated it liked it
Not one of my favourite books by penny vincenzi but it was still captivating and interesting. The title made people think I was reading an erotic novel though.....
Elizabeth
Jan 04, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Mesmerizing from start till finish. More than 800 pages of extremely well written stories of people whose lives intertwine, divide and come back together again. Some parts are unputdownable, exactly how I like my books. Impossible to tell more about the book, one must read it oneself. The red line through the book is about a biography which threatens to be published and which contains lots of secrets. Secrets that stay secret until the very end. A must read !
Sep 15, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
As all of her books do, this story drew me right in. It is a family drama that starts during WWII and spans over a couple of generations. I was not particularly fond of any one character, each had their own redeeming points by the end of the book. It was interesting to see the effects if certain decisions people made effecting their children even years later. I would highly recommend this book, but do not expect it to be a quick read. Worth the time though.
Brenda
Aug 21, 2015 Brenda rated it it was ok
DNF. I have spent over a month trying to get through this (read a couple of other books in between). I've read only this lately and still am not halfway through. Another reviewer used the best adjective - "tedious." The outline of this story probably sounded great but it takes so long to move the plot forward. I loved Penny Vincenzi's trilogy "Spoils of Time" and I will try other novels by her in the future.
Maxine
Aug 05, 2011 Maxine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. The characters were interesting, even if the plot was not quite as outrageous as it purported to be. Intriguing in the concept that long-ago actions can affect so many lives even years later. I enjoyed this book much more than than the last book I read by this author, but it still couldn't compare with my two favorites by Penny Vincenzi; "No Angel" and "Something Dangerous"
Jo
Jun 21, 2011 Jo rated it it was ok
Very 80s blockbuster! I took a long time to read this book, because it didn't engage me. The characters were rather two dimensional and the plot was all too predictable. I read a couple of Penny Vincenzi's earlier novels back in the 80s and enjoyed them. I think my taste in novels has changed drastically since then, but it was nice to tap into a bit of nostalgia!
Idgy
Dec 03, 2009 Idgy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed reading this dishy drama. Lots of back-and-forth across the Atlantic though, and that part got a little tiresome. Everyone in the book was super-glamorous, and that was a bit of a problem. Overall, though, this is a nice one if you'd rather not do too much thinking; it was kinda clear who-done-it long before the reveal.
Kate
Jun 03, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
This is a good book by Vincenzi. I have read several of her other novels. The characters were great and very well developed. The plot was super detailed spanning three decades but at times the story seemed to drag a bit. It started at the end of world war 2 in England with an ill fated affair.
Virginia Albanese
Nov 17, 2011 Virginia Albanese rated it liked it
This is well written and sort of a mystery which means pages and pages leading up to "mystery" and all wrapped up in three pages. Out of all the characters in the book and there were many I didn't have much if any sympathy for any other than Ruben. What a bunch of egotistical jerks.
Jan
Dec 28, 2009 Jan rated it liked it
Kind of a mindless read. An English woman has a baby with an American flyer in WWII and then sends the baby to live with him. Long and rambling. He becomes a a two bit actor. She has other children and one daughter marries a big homosexual actor that is knighted.........OK
Heather
Dec 20, 2011 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper
I remember loving this when I first read it but this time, well... it was okay. Caroline made me crazy half the time. So did all the female characters, actually. Joe and Reuben were great guys - maybe she's better at writing men than women?
Alli Poirot
Aug 03, 2009 Alli Poirot rated it liked it
i actually stopped reading this book a few chapters from the end. i got taken up by other things (books and otherwise) and was kind of bored with the characters and their endless drama by then. sorry penny! maybe i've reached my vincenzi limit.
Emma
Aug 07, 2012 Emma rated it liked it
Read it by the pool on holiday - enjoyed it a lot, even though I didn't really like many of the characters. Pure chick book for by the pool, but a bit meatier. Nice twists in it. Not totally predictable like a lot of romantic fiction.
Joanne
Good story line, great twist and ending, lot's of detail. I liked it's thoroughness in tying up the ends. But I didn't like how all the characters were SOOO gorgous and perfect and everyone had the most AMAZING sex all the time.
Deb
Aug 13, 2009 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anachronisms galore, no understanding of american culture or language - I wonder why this woman bothers to write about the US. She has a character appearing in "A Streetcar Named Desire" eight years before it was written.
Diana Aylott
Mar 16, 2013 Diana Aylott rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed Penny Vincenzi's books in the past but this was a disappointment - why on earth did she make it three times as long as it should have been? I am almost half way through and am too bored to continue.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 21, 2015 11:11AM
  • Ellie (Ellie, #1)
  • Destinations
  • Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2)
  • The Hornbeam Tree
  • The Potter's House
  • Lovers and Liars
  • Two Women
  • First Friends (Those Who Serve)
  • Only Dad
  • Divided Loyalties
  • The Wish List
I'm currently taking part in a Q&A Group here on Goodreads to discuss my latest novel, Sheer Abandon . To post questions, please visit: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4.... I look forward to an active discussion together.

I was nine years old when I embarked on my storytelling career. I wrote my own magazine called “Stories”, which I copied out three times on carbon paper and sold for two
More about Penny Vincenzi...

“From the very beginning it seemed very clear to her that if you were going to succeed in life you succeeded on your own terms, in your own style, you capitalized on your own strengths, you learnt to camouflage your own weaknesses and you didn’t get caught up in anyone else’s. And Fleur was going to succeed.” 0 likes