Candle in the Storm (Shadowed Path, #2)

Candle in the Storm (Shadowed Path #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The malign shadow of the Devourer has darkened the land, extinguishing life and hope. The followers of the benevolent goddess Karm are hunted mercilessly and cut down by an army of bewitched slayers led by Lord Bahl, the Devourer�s flesh-and-blood incarnation. Only two people stand in the way of an apocalyptic bloodbath that will literally bring hell to earth: a man and...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2009)

Mark
Haddassah Magdelene
I had a lot of hope for this book and the series in general that I after the first I immediately bought the second and third at once...BUT now I find myself regretting that decision.

IF YOU WERE KINDA IFFY ABOUT THE FIRST BOOK AND WANTED TO CONTINUE THE SERIES IN HOPE OF IT GETTING BETTER STOP AND BACK AWAY RIGHT NOW!!!!!

To be honest I felt depressed the whole book, and continued in hope of a silver lining but never found it. At the end of this book I feel lost and disconcerted. There is not a SI...more
Terri
After the end of the A Woman Worth Ten Coppers, Yim has become Honus' Bearer for real. As they travel around, they stop at more and more houses where people have forsaken Karm and begun to worship the Devourer instead. Howell also introduced Daijen as a third perspective, which I liked because it's always easier to follow along with the bad guys when you get a consistent POV from one of them. Daijen knows that Yim is the biggest threat to Lord Bahl and the Devourer, so he follows them and sets s...more
Demelza Watt
Delicious Strawberry
After a promising start in the first book, I found myself disappointed with the second. This was mainly due to the parts with the Old Ones. To me, they did not fit in this story. Not that Old ones itself is a bad idea, but it felt like it didn't belong within this particular story. I found myself frustrated - just like Yim herself was! I found myself sympathizing with the poor girl as she tries to find answers to her questions and why she is suffering so much, though she does NOT come across as...more
Jean Tatro
To me it felt like this book dragged, bogged down by slow pacing and lots of exposition. It's the big boggy middle magnified. And I don't know if it's just that I'm distanced from the first book, or if it's only really a problem in this book, but it seems like the narrative doesn't value women beyond sex and babies, which is a pity because there are plenty of opportunities to highlight that women can do other things. Speaking of, the only other prominent female character was straight up annoying...more
Cara
I stumbled across this book in the library. Once upon a time, I couldn't ever bring myself to not finish a book -- or, for that matter, skip to the end. But now that I've gotten older, time is precious! And this just didn't cut it. 30 pages in, I had zero vested -- harsh, I know, but I figured I could skip to the end (especially this being a trilogy) and I wouldn't have missed much. Not quite right, though -- I skipped to the last quarter, found some interesting bits which I thought was worth go...more
Tatiana
I enjoyed this book, I did. Morgan Howell, however, has made me sad by making a "good" ending that isn't a "happy" ending.

I love Yim and Honus. They are a very adorable duo. I want them to be together so badly, and they just never seem to get any peaceful time together. Aside from that, Honus is quite the bad ass. His "mission" at the end of the book were the best couple of chapters in my story IMO. I loved his badassery.

Yim of course continues to stay on the straight and narrow path. But I sti...more
Carolyn F.
The good - There are mentions of Dar's ancestors.

The bad - Why can't this author let two people who love each other find a little happiness. Why does it have to be so sad and heart breaking. I thought after book #1 we would see Yim and Honus finally be together. But it was this horrible yo-yo of tiny bits of affection with tons of heartbreaking.

Although I've read the Queen of the Orcs series and I've read this second book, I can't handle it anymore. I'm not planning on reading the last book at...more
Arithonne
I really liked book one of this series and really enjoyed most of this book. Then, in the last few chapters, the heroine's big task is revealed, and she sets off to begin completing it. The only problem? Her attitude about completing it makes me feel that if she succeeds it will be in spite of herself, and it's not something I want to read.

I've also seen the idea of how to defeat the great evil used in this book done better in others.
Gypsie Holley
Loved book 2! Wasn't expecting the ending. There is so much to gain from not knowing which way to go but where your heart tells yout to. Now I must wait to get out to get the last installment and see what happens next. Wonderful addition to the Orcs trilogy that Howell has written. This is the same landscape just centuries later and one character remains from that trilogy to this one!
Nicole
A sorrowful tale that once again focuses on the battle between good and evil/ a female loving goddess vs. a male entity of death. Makes allusions to Dar of Queen of the Orcs. We see that this story takes place generations after the events in M. Howell's previous trilogy.
Matthew
Decent offering from the author, the story reads super fast and certainly isn't deep literature. Still, I liked the story and the nod to Dar's world from the orc books was nice.

I'd recomend to anyone who likes this author or is looking for a light fantasy read.
Elizabeth
I just finished this book. It's the second in this series, and definitely a middle book. I wish the third book was out so that I could read it and get this melancholy story line wrapped up. It was a smidgen too sad for me.
Aimee
Barbara
This 2nd vol of an on-going trilogy is dark and gloomy, as 2nd vols of fantasy trilogies so often are. The author has her work cut out to wrap this all up in vol 3 and give us a good ending.
Rachelle
It was about love vs. duty, forgiveness, and self-sacrifice. The heroine has infinite compassion for others, but is absolutely ruthless towards herself, and by extension the man she loves.
Kendra
2nd book. Really enjoyed it, some sad twists and turns, with a cliffhanger ending. I haven't read the author's Orc series, but this one appears to tie into that series a bit.
Stephanie Krause
The series really kicked up a notch for me with this one. Excited to read the final installment, and glad I thought ahead to bring it along with me today on the train!
Becky
The trials and tribulations of Yim and Honus continue in the second book of The Shadowed Path triology. I love the blend of the Old Ones and Karm and the Devourer.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Wendy
Wendy added it
Apr 02, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Niemue
Niemue marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Caitlin Rachel
Caitlin Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
  • Path of Blood (Path, #3)
  • Wild Hunt (Evie Scelan, #2)
  • Napier's Bones
  • Heroes Adrift (Hero, #3)
  • When Good Wishes Go Bad (As You Wish, #2)
  • The Pretender's Crown (Inheritors' Cycle, #2)
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • Exile (The Outcast Chronicles, #2)
  • Stalking the Vampire
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
  • Selfish is the Heart (Order of Solace, #3)
  • The Light of Burning Shadows (Iron Elves, #2)
  • Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2)
  • Full Circle (Castings, #3)
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 6
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)
  • Blue and Gold
  • Scorched (The Dark Forgotten, #2)
Morgan Howell is the pseudonym of author Will Hubbell. Hubbell uses his own name when writing childrens' picture books and for his science fiction novels published by Ace. He uses the name Morgan Howell for his recent fantasy writing, citing the darkness of the writing.

A graduate of Oberlin College and the Rochester Institute of Technology, MORGAN HOWELL is a full-time writer who lives in upstate...more
More about Morgan Howell...
King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1) Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2) Royal Destiny (Queen of the Orcs, #3) A Woman Worth Ten Coppers (Shadowed Path, #1) The Iron Palace (Shadowed Path, #3)