Start by marking “Perfect Skin” as Want to Read:
Perfect Skin

Perfect Skin

Jon Marshall, a thirtysomething plastic surgeon, has come a long way. He's a partner in his own medical practice, owns a house in the suburbs, and cruises town in a BMW. He also has a six-month-old daughter, Lily, affectionately known as the Bean.

But Jon's life hasn't taken the path he thought it would in his twenties. Newly single, he's facing the challenges of dating in
Published October 4th 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Skin

Nov 02, 2014 A rated it it was amazing
This is still my all time favourite contemporary novel.
It initially appealed to me because I was curious to read a man's take on the chick-lit genre. However it turned out to be much, much better than I expected. 'Perfect Skin' is not as superficial as many chick-lit books, but is just as entertaining. Even my husband (a man's man) enjoyed the book too.

I won't repeat the fine information provided by the jacket blurb. Here are a few other things worth mentioning about the book.

The writing style i
Apr 22, 2012 Nereia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non l'ho letto, l'ho divorato. Lo stile frizzante si combina meravigliosamente con gli elementi strambi della trama, senza mai lasciare spazio alla noia o alla banalità. I protagonisti sono caratterizzati molto bene e perfino Fagiolino, che ha solo 6 mesi, sembra quasi essere un personaggio profondo! Le parti comiche sono seguite fluidamente dalle parti introspettive o dai ricordi di Jon, senza che questo causi una forzatura nella narrazione e, soprattutto, senza rallentare il ritmo della lettur ...more
Aug 05, 2012 Gaëlle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading the first few chapters of Perfect Skin, I couldn't help but wonder where all of this was going, and whether I would like it or not! At first, I thought it would be some sort of male-authored chick-lit novel (if that makes any sense) but it was very different from that. Maybe a little deepest, less conventional, and in all cases very refreshing!

It turns out that I loved it. It was a sweet little novel about the everyday life of a very normal person, at times touching, at times h
Jeff Raymond
Sort of that Nick Hornby-style male protagonist trying to get through life and love, but not quite as well done as some others I've read recently. The main character's wife died during childbirth, and it almost felt like a gimmick in some places, and it might have actually worked better as a movie idea than a novel. At least that's how I kept visualizing it.
Nov 18, 2008 Tristan rated it liked it
I will probably never go out of my way to read this book again but it turned out to be pretty good. Many times it felt like a train wreck - I didn't want to watch but couldn't look away! Some parts are very entertaining. There is a lot of language. Not the worst book I've ever read.
Description makes it sound like some kind of horrible romance novel from a male author, but it's not. Made me chuckle throughout.
Jan 09, 2014 Jo rated it it was ok
It was nice to read a book where your recognised the street names and places. the story was ok and a couple of laugh out loud bits in places
Jan 23, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
I learned that I could get so excited about an author that I could actually email him and seduce him into communicating with me several times from Australia!
Ian Wynne
Jul 08, 2011 Ian Wynne rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favourite Nick Earls book and would make my shortlist of all time favourite books. It touches the heart, is hilariously funny and is just beautifully written in every respect.
Sharyn O'neill
Feb 18, 2013 Sharyn O'neill rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this... An interesting look in to the male perspective on life, love, babies and bad dates.
Anthony Eaton
Anthony Eaton rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2009
Max Brammer
Max Brammer rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Patricia Pieterse
Patricia Pieterse rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Judi Murphy
Judi Murphy rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2011
David Rutledge
David Rutledge rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2014
Kathy rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2010
Ita rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2009
Lis rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2011
Susan Schlapkohl
Susan Schlapkohl rated it did not like it
May 21, 2016
Ian rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Steve rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Jess Mar
Jess Mar rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2011
Jodi rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Bronwyn Mitchell
Bronwyn Mitchell rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Leslie rated it liked it
May 29, 2010
Sharon Malcolm
Sharon Malcolm rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2010
Wayne rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Rosemary Spark
Rosemary Spark rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2008
Danielle rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
  • Girls' Night In
  • The Jesus Man
  • Dark Places
  • They're a Weird Mob
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
  • The Twyborn Affair
  • The Promise
  • Girls Night Out
  • The Rose Grower
Nick Earls is the author of twelve books, including bestselling novels such as Zigzag Street, Bachelor Kisses, Perfect Skin and World of Chickens. His work has been published internationally in English and also in translation, and this led to him being a finalist in the Premier of Queensland’s Awards for Export Achievement in 1999.

Zigzag Street won a Betty Trask Award in the UK in 1998, and is cur