Start by marking “Perfect Skin” as Want to Read:
Perfect Skin

Perfect Skin

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Jon Marshall, a thirtysomething plastic surgeon, has come a long way. He's a partner in his own medical practice, owns a house in the suburbs, and cruises town in a BMW. He also has a six-month-old daughter, Lily, affectionately known as the Bean.

But Jon's life hasn't taken the path he thought it would in his twenties. Newly single, he's facing the challenges of dating in
Published October 4th 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Skin

A
This is still my all time favourite contemporary novel.
It initially appealed to me because I was curious to read a man's take on the chick-lit genre. However it turned out to be much, much better than I expected. 'Perfect Skin' is not as superficial as many chick-lit books, but is just as entertaining. Even my husband (a man's man) enjoyed the book too.

I won't repeat the fine information provided by the jacket blurb. Here are a few other things worth mentioning about the book.

The writing style i
Nereia
Non l'ho letto, l'ho divorato. Lo stile frizzante si combina meravigliosamente con gli elementi strambi della trama, senza mai lasciare spazio alla noia o alla banalità. I protagonisti sono caratterizzati molto bene e perfino Fagiolino, che ha solo 6 mesi, sembra quasi essere un personaggio profondo! Le parti comiche sono seguite fluidamente dalle parti introspettive o dai ricordi di Jon, senza che questo causi una forzatura nella narrazione e, soprattutto, senza rallentare il ritmo della lettur ...more
Gaëlle
As I was reading the first few chapters of Perfect Skin, I couldn't help but wonder where all of this was going, and whether I would like it or not! At first, I thought it would be some sort of male-authored chick-lit novel (if that makes any sense) but it was very different from that. Maybe a little deepest, less conventional, and in all cases very refreshing!

It turns out that I loved it. It was a sweet little novel about the everyday life of a very normal person, at times touching, at times h
Jo
It was nice to read a book where your recognised the street names and places. the story was ok and a couple of laugh out loud bits in places
Jeff Raymond
Sort of that Nick Hornby-style male protagonist trying to get through life and love, but not quite as well done as some others I've read recently. The main character's wife died during childbirth, and it almost felt like a gimmick in some places, and it might have actually worked better as a movie idea than a novel. At least that's how I kept visualizing it.
Gen
Follows on from Bachelor Kisses. Light-hearted read about the life of a single father doctor.
Tristan
I will probably never go out of my way to read this book again but it turned out to be pretty good. Many times it felt like a train wreck - I didn't want to watch but couldn't look away! Some parts are very entertaining. There is a lot of language. Not the worst book I've ever read.
Ian Wynne
This is my absolute favourite Nick Earls book and would make my shortlist of all time favourite books. It touches the heart, is hilariously funny and is just beautifully written in every respect.
Mary
I learned that I could get so excited about an author that I could actually email him and seduce him into communicating with me several times from Australia!
Mariesa
Description makes it sound like some kind of horrible romance novel from a male author, but it's not. Made me chuckle throughout.
Sharyn O'neill
I really enjoyed this... An interesting look in to the male perspective on life, love, babies and bad dates.
Helen
The only book about being a new parent I really liked! (It's about much more than that of course)
Kerry
hate it - only read it because it was either this book or the back of the cereal box!
Cheryl
A huge fan of nick earls. . Zig Zag Street remains my favourite though.
Frangipani
a happy/sad little tale, boy meets girl ending
Matt
Jul 17, 2008 Matt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 30+
Been a long time since I have read a book that kept me up longer than I wanted to be!
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Belle
Belle added it
Dec 15, 2014
Ned
Ned added it
Dec 13, 2014
Marla Mei
Marla Mei marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Monkey
Monkey added it
Nov 27, 2014
Rebecca Lonsdale
Rebecca Lonsdale marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
  • The Jesus Man
  • The Twyborn Affair
  • Girls' Night In
  • Dark Places
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
  • Monkey Grip
  • Girls Night Out
  • Utopian Man
  • Wake in Fright: Filmed as The Outback
  • The Bodysurfers
Nick Earls is the author of twelve books, including bestselling novels such as Zigzag Street, Bachelor Kisses, Perfect Skin and World of Chickens. His work has been published internationally in English and also in translation, and this led to him being a finalist in the Premier of Queensland’s Awards for Export Achievement in 1999.

Zigzag Street won a Betty Trask Award in the UK in 1998, and is cur
More about Nick Earls...
48 Shades of Brown Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight Zigzag Street Bachelor Kisses Headgames