The Quotable Lewis

The Quotable Lewis

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"The Quotable Lewis" presents hundreds of exerpts from Lewis's writings, providing ready access to his thoughts on each topic. An exhaustive index references key words and concepts, allowing the reader to easily find quotes on any suject of interest. Also included are many photographs of Lewis and his circle, some of which have never before been published. For browsing, st...more
Published February 23rd 1990 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published February 9th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Quotable Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quotable Lewis

Keiki Hendrix
I love quotes like women love chocolate. How could I not love this book? C. S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors (though I must admit, when I read him, I must have a dictionary handy) because there is a magic about his way of thinking. Lewis takes a topic and explores it to its uttermost ending. When we read him, we journey with him from beginning to end.I believe he must be a distant relative of St. Paul because Lewis does tend to be a wordy. But in those words is wit and clarity.

Another rea...more
Krissy
this book got me through the 8th grade.
Eric
Excellent book! These are C.S. Lewis quotes on all subjects arranged topically. Not just religious topics but things like "Writing," "J.R.R. Tolkien," and "Humor."

Sometimes my wife and I have a "Theologians Duel." One of us will grab this book and the other will grab the Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book, and we'll "do battle" by picking topics and reading what each theologian had to say on the matter.
Nikki
Jun 22, 2008 Nikki marked it as to-read
Sheri L. Dew references quotes from this book several times throughout, "God Wants a Powerful People". I'd like to own a copy of this book; it would be a great resource. I know it includes an in-depth index that makes it easy for the reader to find quotes based on subject, key-words, etc.
Abigail Cantrell
Mar 25, 2008 Abigail Cantrell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone familiar with Lewis, pastors
Shelves: get-rid-of
Excellent reference. It can also be used as a devotional-- go topically and add whatever scripture he refers to. It's very interesting to read his fiction and non-fiction on the same topic back to back.
Rena Jane
Lots of varied thoughts on life, religion, love and values, arranged in alphabetical order from many of Lewis' works and letters.
Mariel
This is a great reference book and straight-through read of some of the great thoughts of C.S. Lewis. Highlighter needed.
Terah
Much better than the Internet for finding quotes, etc. Invaluable purchase. Some photos included.
Whitney L.
I feel inspired by just reading his quotes -- so many good ones in this book.
Rebekah
Not exactly a book to read like a novel, but a very good reference book.
David Roberts
Great anthology, topically indexed.
Carma Bird
I like CS Lewis !
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: reference
None
Sophie Carrera
Sophie Carrera marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Blossom
Blossom marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Todd Ressel
Todd Ressel marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jane Glossil
Jane Glossil marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Whitney Taylor
Whitney Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Tiffini Forsythe
Tiffini Forsythe marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Saintjono
Saintjono marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Vicki Jo
Vicki Jo marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • An Experiment in Criticism (Canto)
  • The Man Born to Be King: A Play-Cycle on the Life of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
  • An Anthology: 365 Readings
  • Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, Dante Alighieri, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard
  • Through the Shadowlands: The Love Story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis
  • The Christian Mind: How Should a Christian Think?
  • A Survey of the Old Testament (Second Edition)
The Soul of C.S. Lewis: A Meditative Journey Through Twenty-Six of His Best-Loved Writings Beyond the Shadowlands: C.S. Lewis on Heaven & Hell Beyond the Shadowlands: C. S. Lewis on Heaven and Hell Journey to the Celestial City: Glimpses of Heaven from Great Literary Classics Global Food Security and Supply