4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  15 reviews
No one is immune. For people from champion athletes to desk-bound white-collar professionals, many simple acts of life--a relaxing evening stroll through the neighborhood, an exhilarating run along a sandy beach, just bending down to tie a loose shoelace-are often acts of torture. The walking wounded suffer from torn rotator cuffs, tennis elbow, jogger's knees, bad backs,...more
Published August 4th 1993 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published August 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion

Kate
This was a great book written in a very accessible manner. It was also interesting to see Egoscue take primitive humans as the model for how he thinks we should continue to live in the world; he seems to have anticipated the primal/paleo craze by around a decade at least. To me, his main message is that the human body was designed to be in motion, and if we do not give it the motion (and also kind of motion) it is designed for, our bodies may then become dysfunctional, meaning that our proper al...more
Jesus Rodriguez
This book has the potential to be a life-saving book. This gets four stars because Pete Egoscue is not the most engaging writer in my opinion. However, this book is not about great writing. The information here is critical for anyone. Proper body function, as I learned through this book, plays a huge role in much of the pain and agony we go through with our bodies.

For Egoscue, it's as simple as reintroducing the body to do what its made to do... Move.

This book was incredibly helpful for me. I'm...more
Valko Yotov
The best fitness and physical health guide ever. Highly recomended book from an author who has excellent experience in phisiotherapy and recovery and has created the perfect fitness and health improvement guide. You must read it if you want to be healthy and in good physical shape.
Breena
Jun 08, 2013 Breena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I think that this is a must read for anyone who is desirous to be aware of the health of their body. The concept is simply that your bone structure is made so perfectly that when aligned as it is meant to be, 100s of problems simple don't exist. As a music teacher I am constantly on the look out for proper positioning at the keyboard. I have noticed that it is getting harder to get a child to sit up straight. They complain of back pain having rarely to never used those muscles before! I agree th...more
Tina Fairlamb-Leonard
"Don't get the mistaken impression that the Egoscue Method is going to fix you... No way. You're going to do the fixing"

Now ain't that a different mind-set for taking responsibility for chronic pain!

Just finished reading the book... looks like I may be Condition 1 (need to redo the diagnosis w/ my Physical Therapist, Coach and Yoga instructor), so it'll be a few weeks/months before I see/feel any benefits... we'll see.

I'm hopeful!
P
I think he makes some good points and has some good advice, but it is a fairly confusing book and it's interactive in the sense that you need to measure, look at yourself in the mirror, etc. and all kinds of other annoying stuff.
Shelly
Much of what is said (besides the exercises) is what I've thought about for awhile. I liked seeing these ideas written beyond my own head. The exercises look helpful. I've started them and they look useful for almost anyone.
Jackson
It is hard to do this, but it seems to be working.
Yes, I love this. There are some other books in the series, but I am trying to get through this first one first. I feel hopeful.
Rebekah
The writing in the book isn't phenomenal (think the same story over and over), but the exercises have really helped with chronic foot pain that had been keeping me from running.
Lincoln
I think I liked his book pain free better, but did pick up some learning about a couple of common scenarios for dysfunctional bodies in this day and age.
Mckinley
This works. When I first started it, I did it daily and felt a lot less back discomfort. I've come back to it over the years since I don't do it daily anymore.
The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion: Revolutionary Program That Lets You Rediscover the Body's Power to Rejuvenate It by Pete Egoscue (1993)
Sam
A great companion to Egoscue's Pain-Free book. More clinical, but awesome for anyone in the health/fitness/rehab field.
Andrea Bishop
Apr 27, 2008 Andrea Bishop is currently reading it
I am currently trying to read.
Dieter
Soild rehab program.
Metta
Metta added it
Sep 15, 2014
Sericite (Kim)
Sericite (Kim) is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Cheryl Leonhardt
Cheryl Leonhardt marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain Pain Free for Women: The Revolutionary Program for Ending Chronic Pain Pain Free at Your PC Pain Free Living: The Egoscue Method for Strength, Harmony, and Happiness Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion (2 Cass)