Start by marking “The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #8)

The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon #8)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  369 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
What do you do when you have to take music class with the likes of Ms. Rhoda LaNote? First, she'll tell you if you belong with the all-toes (who sing through their toes) or the sopra-nose (who sing through their noses). Is it true she makes you memorize a million songs? Find out when you face the music in this hilarious new book!
Published September 1st 2000 by Cartwheel (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon

Alycia Boyce
A funny book about a boy who has heard many horrible stories about the music teacher. Humorous and good for showing students they can't believe everything they hear.
Margo Martin
The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon is an effective book to read to a class before they go to music class. This book goes over some of the extreme rumors students can make up about teachers they are not familiar with. For example, these students heard that in music class you have to sing everything, and that the music teacher Miss LaNote uses a pitchfork to keep at her students on the right key. This book is not completely fictional though as it talks about how students in music class have t ...more
Dolly
Mar 18, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We like the stories in the Black Lagoon series by Mike Thaler and Jared Lee. Many children tend to think of people of authority as scary or mean, but this is just another example of how our expectations do not always live up to reality. Our girls thought the way that the various voice parts (alto, soprano, baritone) were described was hilarious, although I had to explain a little bit about puberty when we got to the part where an older boy's voice changed. The illustrations really make the narra ...more
Michelle
Sep 08, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I used this book last week in my music class; we used phrases and sentences from the story to create unique ostinatos. Of course, our students were glad their music teacher was NOT from the Black Lagoon.
Kristin Hardy
Mar 03, 2016 Kristin Hardy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
LOVE THIS!!!!!
Chanae Wills
Apr 02, 2013 Chanae Wills rated it really liked it
This book follows a young boy who is wondering what his new music teacher is going to be like. He thinks she's this horrible, mean teacher, but in the end he finds out that she's nothing like what he thought she was, she's actually really nice. I could use this book to help my students get rid of those first day jitters and those misconceptions of how teachers are.
Mar 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I like how this book plays on words. It is interesting how a child can misinterpret words that other kids or adults say. This boy Hubie has a wild imagination. I am surprised he is not more disappointed when he finds out the teachers are normal.
Mandy
Jul 26, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A boy is nervous because he has to take music this year and will have Miss LaNote, a teacher who is known for teaching music in unusual ways (Boy has misunderstood music vocabulary).
Sandy
Oct 02, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, school
One of several stories in the “Black Lagoon” series, as always Hubie thinks the worst and in the end he always finds out that having a new Music Teacher is going to be fun.
Audrey Harlan
This is a funny story. I really liked the illustrations. Its a good series to read for fun and when discussing anxiety about school.
Alison Tripp
Sep 05, 2011 Alison Tripp rated it liked it
Shelves: first-6-weeks
Addresses rumors and how they can be stretched and untrue. Also talks about fears kids can have going to a new teacher and new classes.
Erin Banet
Apr 18, 2012 Erin Banet rated it it was amazing
I love this whole series! The kids live to hear this before they go to music for the first time at the beginning of the year!
Sarah Fey
Sep 30, 2015 Sarah Fey rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, good-books
i thought it was good because it was really really funnny like the other books in the series
Cindy
May 17, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: music appreciators
Love those illustrations!
It had a good play on words.
Gage
Shelves: children
too funny!
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
good
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Cooper
Cooper added it
May 22, 2016
Shelby L.
Shelby L. rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Jonah
Jonah marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Cash Stuart
Cash Stuart rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
  • The Magic School Bus Wet All Over: A Book About The Water Cycle
  • Down by the Bay
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!
  • The Jacket I Wear in the Snow
  • This Is the Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around the World
  • John's Secret Dreams: The Life of John Lennon
  • Rap A Tap Tap
  • Marsupial Sue Book and CD
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • Yes We Can!
  • World's Worst Wedgie (George Brown, Class Clown, #3)
  • The Berenstain Bears: Sister Bear Learns to Share
  • Arthur's TV Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Clifford and the Halloween Parade
  • The Stupids Take Off (The Stupids, #4)
  • The Eensy-Weensy Spider
  • The Case of the Marshmallow Monster (Jigsaw Jones, #11)
  • The Jazz Fly: Starring the Jazz Bugs [With CD]
Mike Thaler, born in Los Angeles, started his professional career drawing cartoons for adults. A children's book editor saw one of his cartoon stories in a national magazine and encouraged Mike to try writing for children. His first attempt met with success, and "The Magic Boy" was published in 1961.

Mike has produced over 220 published books and is known as “America’s Riddle King.” He has also bee
More about Mike Thaler...

Black Lagoon (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1)
  • The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2)
  • The Gym Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #3)
  • The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #4)
  • The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5)
  • The Cafeteria Lady from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #6)
  • The School Bus Driver from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #7)
  • The Custodian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #9)
  • The Class from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #10)
  • The Class Pet from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #11)