Start by marking “Studio Ghibli: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata” as Want to Read:
Studio Ghibli: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata

Studio Ghibli: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The animations of Japan’s Studio Ghibli are amongst the highest regarded in the movie industry. Their delightful films rank alongside the most popular non-English language films ever made, with each new eagerly-anticipated release a guaranteed box-office smash. Yet this highly profitable studio has remained fiercely independent, producing a stream of imaginative and indivi ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Kamera Books (first published March 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Studio Ghibli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Studio Ghibli

Joe Hayes
Aug 23, 2016 Joe Hayes rated it it was ok
I am a huge Studio Ghibli fan, and I was hoping for great things when reading this book. Having not long watched the documentary The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, I was eager to get reading.
However, I was disappointed.
I found some of the points in this book interesting, such as the links between certain films, but overall, the book itself is unimpressive. It reads as a cross between a review of the Ghibli and pre-Ghibli films and a piece of poorly written GCSE coursework (there were actually ti
Steve
Jan 14, 2012 Steve rated it liked it
This is a fairly short book which discusses all the studio Ghibli films (well from Laputa: Castle in the Sky to Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea) plus less emphasized discussions about the Pre-Ghibl days and few sentences about non-filmaking work.

The discussions are pretty basic, brief plot outlines, some personal details about Miyazaki and Takahata, and a bit of summarizing of the social contexts in which the films were made. Much of this is a case of stating the obvious and the sort of snippets
Craig Williams
Oct 14, 2010 Craig Williams rated it really liked it
Although it felt redundant for me to read this, being that I wrote a paper on the works of Hayao Miyazaki in college, I still enjoyed getting a deeper insight into not only his movies, but the works of Studio Ghibli in general. The book also reignited an appreciation for his movies, as each and every one of them is a work of fine art. Miyazaki will go down as THE finest animator the world has ever produced - mark my words.

Anyway, if you're fan of Studio Ghibli fans, but you're largely unaware of
BookDrunkard
Sep 07, 2015 BookDrunkard rated it liked it
Studio Ghibli: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata is a book I received as an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. First, I must start off saying that I love Studio Ghibli films! So much so, that I named my cat Miyazaki! I was therefore, really looking forward to reading this book. While I did learn some facts about the studio, the men behind the films and the films themselves, I was slightly disappointed in this book. The beginning came off as a college essay (though a ...more
Ally Craig
The first chapter, covering the childhood and early artistic development of Studio Ghibli founders Miyazaki and Takahata, was quite enlightening. I learned a few things about their early work, their influences, and matters both personal and cultural that influenced the Ghibli films I know and love.

However, the rest of the book was disappointing. It amounts to analyses of each Studio Ghibli film from Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986) to Ponyo (2008), with very little information that can't be glea
James Watt
Jun 13, 2015 James Watt rated it did not like it
As a big Studio Ghibli fan this book dissapointed. I was looking forward to an in-depth analysis of the themes and characters in Ghibli films but this book did not deliver. It makes a lot of large, unsubstantiated points and doesn't have much to offer. I learned a bit from this book but it could have been a lot better.
Jaimie
Jan 04, 2014 Jaimie rated it really liked it
Odell and LeBlanc take readers through the development of Studio Ghibli, arguably the most influential animation company in Japan, by examining each Studio Ghibli film and a handful of the pre-Ghibli works. Many of the films are now well known in North America (hence the publication of this book), so it was interesting to see them viewed in what is arguably a very Western perspective. Odell and LeBlanc put forth some very personalized opinions (I can't beleive that they think Spirited Away is "t ...more
Nick
Sep 20, 2014 Nick rated it really liked it
Good background and genesis of each film and of the Ghibli studio...
Anna Oh
I enjoyed the introduction because it contained a lot of good information about the artists behind Ghibli films. However, once the book started summarizing the films that Studio Ghibli has made, I flipped ahead to see if the author was going to talk about anything other than what you can already find on the Internet. Mainly, this book contains reviews of the films rather than going really in-depth to talk about the themes, characters and insight of the Ghibli films. The author DID bring new info ...more
Chloé
Last term, I followed a Japanese cinema class. The first part was about animation, which gave me the opportunity to do an analysis on one of my favorite director, Hayao Miyazaki. His movies, the one from Studio Ghibli, are probably the most well known in North America, from Japan. This studio offered us movies such as, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso and Spirited Away... more

À la session dernière, j’ai suivi un cours sur le cinéma japonais. La première partie portait sur le cinéma d’animation, ce
Rems
Nov 29, 2009 Rems rated it it was amazing
True, I haven't read this the whole way through. But I will probably go back beyond my basic skim read of it since really, it was worth taking the time to read.

I wouldn't recommend this for people who know a lot about Ghibli, or want to just be told the basic plot of films, or some such. To make a point on this, I have seen most Ghibli films, have been a fan of theirs for five years, and for my project have sat and researched thoroughly on the internet for the things I want. Still, the internet
David Brown
Jul 20, 2012 David Brown rated it it was amazing
I’m a massive fan of Japanese animation company, Studio Ghibli, so the prospect of learning more about their history and their work was too good an opportunity to pass. Since their founding in 1985 Studio Ghibli have produced numerous feature films, music videos, short films, adverts and documentaries. The output of their animating team is exceptional not just in its quantity but in its quality as well.
After more than a decade of increasing their success, having the most successful film of the
JunZhe
Jan 27, 2015 JunZhe rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Have you ever been enticed by Studio Ghibli's productions? I have.
For those who do not know them, major theater release like Castle in the sky, Howl's moving castle, Spirited Away, Ponyo Ponyo, are some of the productions.

The book describes the studio's direction in films and goes in depth on every major release. The book is dated 2009 so it misses out on newer films like Princess Kaguya & Arrietty.

Nonetheless it is still a good read for the fans out there!
Fabien
Aug 27, 2014 Fabien rated it liked it
I finished this book with a feeling of "I need more". This book aims to be exhaustive in its description of all Ghibli's movies and extras, however my expectation was a bit more of an in-depth analysis. I've seen almost all of the movies in this book and there was a few very interesting information (how some movies were funded for examples) but little on movies themselves, passed the well-written synopsis.
I'm still waiting for someone to take me through my favorite movies and showing and explain
Mambo Jambo
Aug 13, 2014 Mambo Jambo rated it it was ok
bin beş yüz yildir "okuyor" gözüktüğüm kitabı, nihayet dooru duzgun vakit ayirip bitirdim ama dogrusu hic tatmin etmedi. oncelikle cevirisi epey sorunluydu, yayinevi bu konuda daha titiz davransaymis keske.

kitap, studyo ghibli filmleri festivali brosuru nevi bir yayinmis megerse. filmlerin konularina gereksiz uzunlukta yer verilmis. bir de "diger projeler" bolumunde "ne yazik ki yer darligi nedeniyle bu konuda cok kapsamli bir inceleme yapamiyoruz" notu dusulmus ki akillara zarar.

giris kisminda
Natasha
Dec 22, 2014 Natasha rated it liked it
I thought this was a good book as a starting point to help me observe the themes in the discussed Ghibli films. However I would have liked more information on topics such as the animation techniques used and the cultural context surrounding the movies.
Kristine
Jan 17, 2016 Kristine rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Studio Ghibli by Colin Odell is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early September. Having watched Blur-ray releases of Ghibli's over the past few months, I was really excited to read this book and learn more about both the movies I've seen and ones I haven't.

This book's first chapter mostly deals in the philosophical meanings of smaller Ghibli plotpoints before unleashing multiple chronologically-chunked chapters of Ghibli film synopses as well as what had been going on with the studio at th
Patrick
May 15, 2016 Patrick rated it did not like it
Less insightful and well written than Wikipedia.
Stephen Palmer
Nov 21, 2014 Stephen Palmer rated it really liked it
Excellent overview of the Studio Ghibli phenomenon. Recommended to newbie and experienced viewers alike.
Yuki
Sep 26, 2013 Yuki rated it really liked it
Shelves: japan
This book gave in-depth reviews and a basic summary of the pre-Ghibli films and Ghibli films that are out now, including the shorts shown at the Ghibli Musuem(so no From Up on Poppy Hill). It also talked about the formation of Studio Ghibli. It was an interesting book since I haven't seen all the movies yet, but nothing short of actually watching the movies suffices. Miyazaki is amazing :) Everything he makes is eternally wonderful.
Japanwecan
Once you see a Miyazaki film you fall in love. This book is for all Miyazaki followers.
Lorna
Dec 15, 2013 Lorna rated it liked it
A bit basic, but some interesting insights nonetheless. Handy as a reference too.
Sinem
Dec 20, 2013 Sinem rated it really liked it
Ghibli yi daha yakindan tanimak icin küçük güzel bi başvuru kitabı
lucy by the sea
Feb 28, 2010 lucy by the sea rated it it was ok
not enough pictures
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Alex Brown
Alex Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
PJ7789
PJ7789 marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Senanur
Senanur marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
  • The Anime Art of Hayao Miyazaki
  • Hayao Miyazaki: Master of Japanese Animation
  • The Art of My Neighbor Totoro
  • Of Mice and Magic: A History of American Animated Cartoons; Revised and Updated
  • Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation
  • MGM: Hollywood's Greatest Backlot
  • Toy Story: The Art and Making of an Animated Film
  • Character Animation Crash Course!
  • One Hundred Leaves: A new annotated translation of the Hyakunin Isshu
  • Creating Characters with Personality
  • The Best Film You've Never Seen: 35 Directors Champion the Forgotten or Critically Savaged Movies They Love
  • تاريخ اليابان من الجذور حتى هيروشيما