Studio Ghibli: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata

Studio Ghibli: The Films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The animations of Japan’s Studio Ghibli are amongst the highest regarded in the movie industry. Their delightful films rank alongside the most popular non-English language films ever made, with each new eagerly-anticipated release a guaranteed box-office smash. Yet this highly profitable studio has remained fiercely independent, producing a stream of imaginative and indivi...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Kamera Books (first published March 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Studio Ghibli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Studio Ghibli

Steve
This is a fairly short book which discusses all the studio Ghibli films (well from Laputa: Castle in the Sky to Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea) plus less emphasized discussions about the Pre-Ghibl days and few sentences about non-filmaking work.

The discussions are pretty basic, brief plot outlines, some personal details about Miyazaki and Takahata, and a bit of summarizing of the social contexts in which the films were made. Much of this is a case of stating the obvious and the sort of snippets...more
Craig Williams
Although it felt redundant for me to read this, being that I wrote a paper on the works of Hayao Miyazaki in college, I still enjoyed getting a deeper insight into not only his movies, but the works of Studio Ghibli in general. The book also reignited an appreciation for his movies, as each and every one of them is a work of fine art. Miyazaki will go down as THE finest animator the world has ever produced - mark my words.

Anyway, if you're fan of Studio Ghibli fans, but you're largely unaware of...more
Jaimie
Odell and LeBlanc take readers through the development of Studio Ghibli, arguably the most influential animation company in Japan, by examining each Studio Ghibli film and a handful of the pre-Ghibli works. Many of the films are now well known in North America (hence the publication of this book), so it was interesting to see them viewed in what is arguably a very Western perspective. Odell and LeBlanc put forth some very personalized opinions (I can't beleive that they think Spirited Away is "t...more
Chloé
Last term, I followed a Japanese cinema class. The first part was about animation, which gave me the opportunity to do an analysis on one of my favorite director, Hayao Miyazaki. His movies, the one from Studio Ghibli, are probably the most well known in North America, from Japan. This studio offered us movies such as, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso and Spirited Away... more

À la session dernière, j’ai suivi un cours sur le cinéma japonais. La première partie portait sur le cinéma d’animation, ce...more
Espo
True, I haven't read this the whole way through. But I will probably go back beyond my basic skim read of it since really, it was worth taking the time to read.

I wouldn't recommend this for people who know a lot about Ghibli, or want to just be told the basic plot of films, or some such. To make a point on this, I have seen most Ghibli films, have been a fan of theirs for five years, and for my project have sat and researched thoroughly on the internet for the things I want. Still, the internet...more
David Brown
I’m a massive fan of Japanese animation company, Studio Ghibli, so the prospect of learning more about their history and their work was too good an opportunity to pass. Since their founding in 1985 Studio Ghibli have produced numerous feature films, music videos, short films, adverts and documentaries. The output of their animating team is exceptional not just in its quantity but in its quality as well.
After more than a decade of increasing their success, having the most successful film of the...more
Fabien
I finished this book with a feeling of "I need more". This book aims to be exhaustive in its description of all Ghibli's movies and extras, however my expectation was a bit more of an in-depth analysis. I've seen almost all of the movies in this book and there was a few very interesting information (how some movies were funded for examples) but little on movies themselves, passed the well-written synopsis.
I'm still waiting for someone to take me through my favorite movies and showing and explain...more
Mambo Jambo
bin beş yüz yildir "okuyor" gözüktüğüm kitabı, nihayet dooru duzgun vakit ayirip bitirdim ama dogrusu hic tatmin etmedi. oncelikle cevirisi epey sorunluydu, yayinevi bu konuda daha titiz davransaymis keske.

kitap, studyo ghibli filmleri festivali brosuru nevi bir yayinmis megerse. filmlerin konularina gereksiz uzunlukta yer verilmis. bir de "diger projeler" bolumunde "ne yazik ki yer darligi nedeniyle bu konuda cok kapsamli bir inceleme yapamiyoruz" notu dusulmus ki akillara zarar.

giris kisminda...more
Yuki
Sep 26, 2013 Yuki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: japan
This book gave in-depth reviews and a basic summary of the pre-Ghibli films and Ghibli films that are out now, including the shorts shown at the Ghibli Musuem(so no From Up on Poppy Hill). It also talked about the formation of Studio Ghibli. It was an interesting book since I haven't seen all the movies yet, but nothing short of actually watching the movies suffices. Miyazaki is amazing :) Everything he makes is eternally wonderful.
Japanwecan
Once you see a Miyazaki film you fall in love. This book is for all Miyazaki followers.
Lorna
A bit basic, but some interesting insights nonetheless. Handy as a reference too.
Sinem
Ghibli yi daha yakindan tanimak icin küçük güzel bi başvuru kitabı
lucy by the sea
not enough pictures
Andreas Lindholm
Andreas Lindholm marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Andy Trappitt
Andy Trappitt is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Rob Clarke
Rob Clarke marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Ceci Caivano
Ceci Caivano marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Vix Southgate
Vix Southgate marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Greg Widule
Greg Widule marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Toyah
Toyah is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Nick
Nick is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014