Start by marking “Gabriel García Márquez: The Early Years” as Want to Read:
Gabriel García Márquez: The Early Years

Gabriel García Márquez: The Early Years

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This long-awaited biography provides a fascinating and comprehensive picture of García Márquez's life up to the publication of his classic 100 Years of Solitude. Based on nearly a decade of research, this biographical study sheds new light on the life and works of the Nobel Laureate, father of magical realism, and bestselling author in the history of the Spanish language. ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Gabriel García Márquez, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gabriel García Márquez

مروان البلوشي

تهدف هذه السيرة الذاتية للروائي الراحل غابرييل غارثيا ماركيز إلى تسليط الضوء على حياة ماركيز منذ ولادته حتى صدور رواية "مئة عام من العزلة"، هذه الرواية التي أعادت -كما يقول مؤلف الكتاب الناقد المكسيكي إيلان ستافانز- تشكيل خارطة الثقافة الأمريكية الجنوبية في النصف الثاني من القرن العشرين.

ويؤكد الناقد المكسيكي إيلان ستافانز على أهمية جمع كل التفاصيل الصغيرة التي أدت تباعاً لكتابة مئة عام من العزلة. نكتشف أثناء قراءة الكتاب أن هذه التفاصيل الصغيرة لا تقتصر على رؤية ماركيز الأدبية فحسب، بل سنرى أن
Rusty
Aug 31, 2010 Rusty rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
It's difficult for me to give a final reaction to this book. I loved sections and waded with persistence through other parts. Perhaps the book is written for those who have read many Latin American writers and much of their work. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. I read the book because I wanted to know know about Garcia Marquez. Discovered that he was a humble, private person who just wanted to make a living writing. He cared little about what critics wrote about his work. He was ecstatic wh ...more
William Wren
May 27, 2014 William Wren rated it liked it
I actually downloaded two biographies about Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The first one I began and found it so dry it was anemic and that just seemed all wrong for Garcia Marquez. So I tried Ilan Stavans' biography and found it far more passionate, far more reflective of its subject.

The first bio I will eventually go back to - I suspect it is a far better one in the sense of being objective and authoritative. Stavans' gives us a combination of biography, criticism and personal opinion. But that is wh
Aberjhani
It's been interesting to see the wide variety of responses to Ilan Stavan's Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Early Years, around the Internet. I one of those who enjoyed both the historic perspective and the personal passion that Stavans brings to the book. My full review may be too long to post here but interested readers can find it at this url: https://www.examiner.com/african-amer...

Aberjhani
Bryan L
Jun 02, 2015 Bryan L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yo NO conocía nada de la vida de G.G.M y eso me entristece bastante. Ese señor fue un genio y en este libro lo relatan muy bien.

Ilan hizo una reseña gigante de 100 años de Soledad, y las implicaciones que tuvo que pasar Gabo para que su libro viera la luz, es impresionante.

Recomendado si eres un fan de García Márquez, y su no lo eres tanto, deberías darle una oportunidad, porque de seguro quedarás con ganas de leer 100 años de soledad.
Carlos Vallarino
Jul 13, 2014 Carlos Vallarino rated it it was amazing
This book is a history, biography, critique of all things Garcia Marquez. The author writes and explains the evolution and progress of lo magico maravilloso.
Jonathan Hines
Apr 29, 2010 Jonathan Hines rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
A comprehensive look at the early life of author, icon, legend Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the his influences.

Stavans plunges into "El Boom," the group of mid-20th century Latin American writers and artists that pronounced the Spanish World a literary force.

The primary focus of the book is Garcia Marquez's oeuvre, "One Hundred Years of Solitude," which gave international acclaim to the struggling journalist and writer and solidified his legacy among the giants.

Satia
Nov 02, 2009 Satia rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
What is most remarkable to me about this biography is that Stavans manages to make a passionate writer like Garcia Marquez seem so banal. For a more thorough review:

Marisela Chavez
Mar 15, 2011 Marisela Chavez rated it liked it
Short and informative. Relaxed and objective. Not a biography that counts the hair on a writer's head.
Cathy
Aug 31, 2010 Cathy rated it did not like it
tried, but I kept putting this one down. it went back to the library, finally.
Janice
Feb 27, 2010 Janice added it
Shelves: boston-globe
2/23/2010
rita wilmshurst
rita wilmshurst marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Lila Weaver
Lila Weaver marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Abdelmonem Saad
Abdelmonem Saad marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Joel Whitney
Joel Whitney rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Tomek
Tomek marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Riddhi
Riddhi added it
Jun 07, 2016
Giovonni E
Giovonni E marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
AngiL2P
AngiL2P marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Jamie Ashworth
Jamie Ashworth marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Lucy Ferariu
Lucy Ferariu marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
  • Ralph Ellison: A Biography
  • Devouring Frida: The Art History and Popular Celebrity of Frida Kahlo
  • The Mad Man
  • The Storm
  • Beloved Prophet: The Love Letters of Kahlil Gibran and Mary Haskell, and Her Private Journal
  • A Giacometti Portrait
Ilan Stavans is the Lewis-Sebring Professor in Latin American and Latino Culture at Amherst College. An award-winning writer and public television host, his books include Growing Up Latino and Spanglish. A native of Mexico City, he lives in Amherst, Massachusetts.
More about Ilan Stavans...