Start by marking “Teatr Cieni (Saga Cienia #3)” as Want to Read:
Teatr Cieni (Saga Cienia #3)

Teatr Cieni (Ender's Shadow #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  34,781 ratings  ·  698 reviews
Wielokrotnie nagradzany cykl przygód Endera, autorstwa Orsona Scotta Carda, to prawdziwa klasyka. Teraz saga Cienia jeszcze dalej przesuwa granice sf. Wojna z obcymi skończyła się już dla Endera, ale jego kolegów ze Szkoły Bojowej czekają kolejne zagrożenia… Wśród meandrów międzynarodowej polityki i wojny, Peter Wiggin i Achilles prowadzą sekretną bitwę propagandy i skryto ...more
Published November 27th 2003 by Prószyński i S-ka (first published August 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Teatr Cieni, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teatr Cieni

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
Petra- I want to have your babies, Bean, even if you have a fatal genetic disease that might pass down to the kids and kill them painfully at a young age.

Bean-I don't want you to have my babies because I have a fatal genetic disease that might pass down to the kids and kill them painfully at a young age and anyway, I'm not human.

Anton-Even though I'm gay, I'm going to marry a woman and have babies with her because you can't be gay and be part of the Web of Life. You have to marry someone of the
Stephen
Photobucket

AND LET ME MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR...

Photobucket

For those of you interested in learning to make hand “shadow puppets” or reading more about the movie starring “James Marsters,” I invite you to check out their entries in Wikipedia for more information. For those interested in the origin and history of the band consisting of Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys and Miles Kane of The Rascals...well...you should be ashamed of yourselves and I will not be an enabler for you.

For this review, we will be discuss
Alex
I've got to speak some truth to power: This is a lousy book.

Ender's Game was pretty cool. The other three books in the Enderverse were progressively less good, but still all right. The first two books in the Beanverse (or whatever we want to call them)... not so great, but kind of fun, I guess? But this one. Oh my.

Why did I finish this? I admit that I read half of it six months ago, was so bored with it that I put it down again, and then just recently finished it up because I didn't have anythi
Mandie Mc
Mar 31, 2012 Mandie Mc rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, seriously
Shelves: unfinished, reviewed
I used to be the sort of person who prided herself on not quitting a book. Much as I flit from one project to another, leaving things unfinished, books and movies deserved my full efforts, no matter how abysmal they might seem in the beginning.

Thanks to a run of bad novels, I've changed my mind. Life is too short to finish a book that doesn't grip you. It's definitely too short to finish a book that makes you roll your eyes, chapter after chapter.

I trudged through the first hour or two of this
Chris Friend
Mar 15, 2008 Chris Friend rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ender or sci-fi fans
This was quite a relief.

I'll admit that I'm growing a bit tired of the "Enderverse" as it's so often called. The cast of characters Card created are great, but I'm growing a bit tired of having so many books covering the same people. The Shadow series was a nice change of pace, but the previous book had been a bit slow in the action, feeling like the author was treading water.

Card got a fire lit under his butt. This book makes up for lost time and moves through events quite well. There are a num
Jacob
March 2010
Previously: Shadow of the Hegemon

It’s been, oh, some amount of time since the Buggers Formics were defeated and Ender was exiled from Earth. A lot has happened since. Peter Wiggin is a nearly-powerless Hegemon working in Brazil; the great powers are doing whatever the hell they want; Achilles, the great mastermind behind it all, has been freed from the Chinese and taken to the one place he hasn’t had an opportunity to screw over yet; and Bean is in love. Or so we’re told. What we aren’
Bailey Kleinberg
As the Ender series progresses each book gets significantly sadder. I thought Ender's Shadow was brilliant, I love the parallel novel and I love Bean.
This book had some fatal flaws however. What happened to Petra? When did she become a character whose only desire is to pop out a couple of kids and take the minivan to soccer practice? Was she not the best sharpshooter in the whole Battle School? It's as if Card redefines her entire life by the fact that she was the one who cracked up there on Er
Kat
The Post-Bugger war for control of Earth grinds on, but Card's main interest seems to lie in philosophizing at length--mostly about the innate, evolutionary need of humans to reproduce, whether they like it or not, and he uses formerly-interesting characters Bean and Petra as his mouthpieces. The villain, Achilles, becomes even more of a ridiculous bugbear, and less of an actual character.

I have a great deal of respect for Card as an author, but the "Shadow" series, after such a magnificent star
Nicholas Karpuk
I gave up on this book about halfway through. I seem to recall saying I'd give up on the Shadow books after the last one, but this was loaned to me, so I have that comfort at least.

This book is uncomfortably fixated on breeding. The opinions espoused on passing on genetics in this book rival the weird rantings from Xenocide when it comes to sheer needless ranting. Unfortunately, this book lacks the solid plot buried beneath the blather.

Card is still playing a game of Risk with world powers, and
Katie
Third in the Shadow series, this book follows Bean and other characters from Ender's Game / Ender's Shadow, including Ender's brother Peter, and looks at events that occured on Earth after Ender went off into space.

The importance of Ender is repeatedly stressed, and gets more and more awkward throughout the Shadow series because Ender is, well, gone. This and the other Shadow books are more geopolitical, and therefore boring (to me - personal preference). I've just never been a current events ty
Erin
This book would be how Orson Scott Card would novelize watching Bella and Edward play Risk. So, you know, if you're into that kind of thing it's really gonna be your cup of tea. I skimmed over all the "zomg baaaaaaaaaaaabeeeeeeeeeees" angst and just read the political/military strategy sections. Not the strongest book in the series.
Matija
The magical battle school children and Achilles are at it again. The character of Achilles has jumped the shark several books ago and is even more ridiculous in Shadow Puppets, succeeding in basically kidnapping the world government for himself, despite the fact that he has no support left anywhere in the world.

The geopolitical stuff with the war in Indochina is fairly interesting (now the Muslim coalition is entering the fray), as are Peter Wiggin's attempts to reclaim the Hegemony for himself.
Seamus Quigley
Well, what a disappointment this book turned out to be.

A bit more context; after reading Ender’s Game I was blown away and eager for more. Speaker for the Dead and it’s sequels were disappointing. They weren’t bad, they were just very different in tone to Ender’s Game. Finding the Shadow series proved to be a boon. Much closer in tone and time, Ender’s Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon proved to be the sequels I was looking for.

Then this book happened.

The geopolitics and strategy that so gripped
Kathryn Fulton
Orson Scott Card is fantastic at imagining political and social futures, and at tracing way small decisions lead to worldwide changes. He is very good at internal monologues from characters tortured by deep questions about the morality of their actions and about their own nature.

He should probably not try to write romance. Or, possibly, dialogue. Petra jumps into this book completely obsessed with having Bean's babies. And no, that is not a euphemism for having sex with him. She doesn't seem to
Zach
Fundamentally, I don't think I can understand Orson Scott Card. Even if Bean is able to get into Achille's head, I don't get why Card is writing such awful novels. He should have ended it all after Children of the Mind (which should have been annexed into Xenocide). Ender's Shadow may lie as the only exception.

The book is shallow, shamelessly upholds and proselytizes Christian values but you don't think about it because Card is using an atheist character to do it. While Speaker and Xenocide dea
Anna Dalvi
....and here Orson Scott Card goes off the deep end, and uses his characters to push the agenda of marriage being sacrosanct and between one man and one woman only.

I had heard he was opposed to same-sex marriage, but as the issue wasn't addressed in the books, I had thought he kept his writing separate from his political views. But dialogue in this book degenerated into a multi-page rant about a man marrying a woman is the meaning of life. Procreation is the meaning of the union, although he 'ge
Buckets
This is the first truly bad book I have read by Card. The story from the political standpoint is not terrible. It is just a "what-if" future political thriller in the Enderverse. However, Card is basically telling you that you should have babies, and that babies are the most important thing in the world, and if you don't have all the babies you can have by the time you die you are selfish and stupid and don't really know what life is all about.

OK. I get it, Orson. You like babies.

I think my thou
Sarah Capps
Well, Card basically destroyed Petra. At one point she was one of the best and only female battle school kids. Now all she wants out of life is babies, apparently, but this isn't a strange character shift because making babies is the deepest desire of all women, or so Card would have me believe. Also, Card needed to pick up a thesaurus and find a word synonymous with 'babies.' I also felt the extent to which a lot of the characters feared Achilles never seemed to be supported in the work. Whenev ...more
Kent
Ender's Game is one of most favorite books. It was so good that Card managed to tell the same exact story all over again from a different angle (with Ender's Shadow) and still make it fantastic. Shadow of the Hegemon was fine.

But this--this is a miserable book. It made me physically ill. He took the characters that I knew and loved and made them spout hetero-normative bullshit and "BABIES BABIES BAAAAAABIES," said Petra.

I haven't disliked a book this much in recent memory. 2/3rds in and I couldn
René
Tyler Adams
I thought this was another great book in an amazing series. Orson Scott Card picks right up where he left off in Shadow of the Hegemon; and continues telling the story of Bean, and the post formic war world. Peter Wiggin, the newly elected Hegemon of Earth, and Bean, a brilliant military strategist, are trying to unite the world under one government, and Peter will stop at nothing to accomplish this goal.

I chose to read this book because I loved the previous books in this series and wanted to
Angela
a complete disappointment. witness the demise of a great science fiction premise to a rambling religious tome.
Marta
Okey, so I have a bit of a problem with Shadow Puppets. I've somehow lost time-line, thus having no idea whatsoever about the age of both protagonists.

At numerous points through-out the story it is hinted that Bean is below age of 20. In fact, most of the character crew is about the same age. Then again, it is implied that some time has passed since Peter took over the Hegemony. And where did Beans title as Strategos go?

So, there are some inconsistencies in the story, that kind of get annoying.
Felix
Monica
Wait a second. Who the dickens is Bean, really? Why is he dominating the Shadow series? Are we supposed to care about him, and his wifey, and his little embryos? Why isn't this Peter's story?

OSC may have set up Bean to be Ender's heir- the next best young military genius, the next best choice for Petra, the next greatest asset, etc.- but in truth Bean possesses little to recommend him to the readers that were captured by Ender. We care for the rest of the Wiggins because we see Ender in them, a
Adam
The Thousander Club
Adam C. Zern opines on Orson Scott Card's 7th book in the Ender series . . .

"Seven books into a series, what can an author do to keep the stories and characters interesting? How does the author keep the drama, humor, and the other various elements of a story from becoming stultified? Having read Shadow Puppets I have to conclude that Orson Scott Card may be losing his stride. Granted, Shadow Puppets is really the third book in the Bean (Shadow) trilogy, which began with Ender's Shadow, but that
Loopy
Orson Scott Card - you may think that unless you have babies your life is meaningless (in fact you must think that, as so many of your characters gives us at least one lecture on it at one point or another in this novel) but guess what? I don't think that, and there are plenty of other people like me out there that don't think it either. The only thing that continually trying to ram this fallacy down my throat does is make me wonder whether a. you've been brainwashed b. you're not convinced but ...more
Rollie
If you are unaware that I'm a dedicated fan of Ender's Game, much less Ender's Shadow; count yourself as one of those I am not really close to. However, if you liked this series without knowing that I do as well, well then, consider yourself as one of those I'm planning to chat with like no end

Bean-or better yet Jullian Delphiki is cute no more. The theoretical effects of Anton's Key are gradually revealing. From a small child Bean, now he's growing to be like a giant. Contrary to the physical g
John
Some fans of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow might be disappointed by the lack of space opera elements continuing on into this book, but Shadow Puppets is still a great novel of political intrigue, military strategy, and philosophical ruminating--assuming you're into that kind of stuff. I like that Card keeps the plot moving steadily forward, finally giving us the penultimate showdown between Bean and Achilles that we've been long waiting for. It's pretty much along the same lines as the last bo ...more
  • Ender's Shadow: Command School
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • Ender's Game, Volume 2: Command School
  • The Robots of Dawn (Robot, #3)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)
  • Sunstorm (A Time Odyssey, #2)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • House Atreides (Prelude to Dune, #1)
  • Calculating God
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • Ringworld's Children (Ringworld, #4)
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)

“It will hurt." said Petra. "But let's make the most of what we have, and not let future pain ruin present happiness.” 55 likes
“So you love me," said Petra softly when the kiss ended.

I'm a raging mass of hormones thet I'm too young to understand," said Bean. "You're a female of a closely related species. According to all the best primatologists, I really have no choice."

That's nice," she said...”
23 likes