Start by marking “Itty-Bitty Toys: How to Knit Animals, Dolls, and Other Playthings for Kids” as Want to Read:
Itty-Bitty Toys: How to Knit Animals, Dolls, and Other Playthings for Kids

Itty-Bitty Toys: How to Knit Animals, Dolls, and Other Playthings for Kids

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Adorable hand-knit playthings, featuring clever twists on classics and enchanting reversibles and interactive toys.

Kids love toys, and toys you make yourself are extra-special. If you could buy these imaginative playthings in stores, they would fly off the shelves! This book features stuffed animals, including a luscious lamb and a gigantic giraffe, and finger-puppet fruit
Spiral-bound, 167 pages
Published November 3rd 2009 by Artisan (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Itty-Bitty Toys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Itty-Bitty Toys

Christina
Jul 25, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I'm not usually one for book patterns as they often to be not as user friendly as most patterns on knitty.com or ravelry.com, as well as just being those types that often seem written for fly-by-night knitting. This is not one of those books. I enjoyed looking through the patterns, which were well-written, fun, and logical. The knitted toys in this book are actually toys you'd want to knit up, not something silly or hokey or just plain annoying to knit. I ...more
penny shima glanz
Dec 07, 2009 penny shima glanz rated it really liked it
I have a weakness for Anderson's books. I feel head over heels in love with every project even if I rarely get around to knitting many of them. Plus hard cover and double ring spiral binding with lots of beautiful clear photographs. What's not to love?

I also do love me a good hand made toy that is cute and easy to make. Itty-Bitty Toys, her newest book, is no exception. I was thankful to have a first read through of it on the train, yet sorry for my current knit-in-progress as I kept complainin
Jessica
Aug 09, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
I'm a Susan B. Anderson fan, I don't hide it, and this book is no exception. The patterns are well written, easy to read and follow, and the end products are adorable and well received as gifts!
Suzanne
Jan 25, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it
I made the ducks on wheels for a baby shower. The instructions were clear and error-free. and the final product was super cute. A big hit at the baby shower.
Janet
Mar 13, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
I love this book and there are several projects I can see myself knitting; in fact, I already started one . . . even though I don't have a little one to give it to. I love the Princess and the Pea set -- it includes the princess, her mattresses, a blanket and a pea pod with felted "peas." Another favorite is Finger Foods - each piece of fruit is also a finger puppet (there's a indentation knit into the underside so it can be placed on a finger). There's an adorable baby bear knit with Kureyon so ...more
Kaitlin
May 12, 2012 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
I have made the sheep and giraffe so far, and I had great luck with both. The directions were easy to follow and the toys were fun to make and came out beautifully. I am maybe an early intermediate knitter.
Not all the toys in this book interest me (some are ugly or uninteresting), but there are many patterns that I'm looking forward to trying, like the elephant and the bird/nest reversible. I don't think everybody will ever like all the patterns in a knitting book, so that's no problem. There ar
Kristen
Feb 17, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I have been using this book for almost a month. I never thought I would get into knitting--I pictured terrible sweaters and horrible socks when I imagined myself knitting. But this book is pretty amazing....I just finished my first project using four double pointed needles: a knitted ball for Nathaniel. The author is very encouraging and motivating. I couldn't believe it myself when I finished the ball, stuffed it with fiberfill, and threw it at Perry. I'm probably going to make one of every ite ...more
Jen
Dec 25, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I loved her first two and the reversible toys look like so much fun. I knit the egg to bird pattern the day after I bought it and the toy was promptly claimed by my oldest daugther. Anderson's patterns are well written with just enough whimsy to keep you interested but not so much as to seem daunting. Take it one row at a time and you'll have the double pleasure of an intriguing knit and fun toy!
Dec 30, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, how-to
I've knit two of Susan B. Anderson's free patterns (ribbit and rabbit), so grabbed this book when I spotted it at the library. Cute, cute, cute. I love that the toys are small, perfect for little arms to hug. I think I must knit the hippo.

Updating - I knit the hippo. Beautifully written pattern, so easy to follow. I love how it turned out. I'm eying the giraffe next.
Sabrina
Dec 01, 2009 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-books
I like this book because the toys are to be knit in the fewest number of pieces, with the least amount of finishing work. I also like that it is spiral bound, so it stays open while you are working on a project. Anderson also has easy to follow instructions at the front of the book for the different skills needed to complete the projects.
Kerry
May 12, 2010 Kerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafting
I have to send this back to the library now but I will re-add it to my queue so that next time around I can make some of the adorable toys in this book. I love the bluebird/ egg and the princess and the pea set. The knit babydoll is adorable and Henry wants me to make him the giraffe.
Stefanie
May 26, 2012 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-books
These toys are clever and adorable! What child or even an adult could resist any hand-knitted toy?

Susan's creativity is boundless. She's a sweetheart in person and just loves what she does as a designer.

This book is perfect for any knitter.
Carissa
Jun 09, 2011 Carissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, crafty
Beautiful book, beautiful projects in a nice variety of difficulty levels. Definitely want to check this book out again once I'm done with the marathon of knitting a blanket. I can't imagine how quickly I'll be able to knit up a ball or a block!
Leisa
Apr 05, 2012 Leisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Really enjoyed this book. My sister and I collect Matroyshka dolls and there is a pattern in here to make a set of them. Turned out very cute and was very easy to follow the pattern. Lots of other ideas in this book also!
Lucinda
Sep 07, 2011 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
I have loved making several toys from this book. Recommend very much. The only issue I have is on stuffing technique. There is not much in how to stuff to get the best look. Other then that it's great.
Joelle
Sep 03, 2010 Joelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, own
There are some darling projects in this book - I especially love the flip toys - the sisters are my favorites. Maybe I'll get better on those dpns now!
Jill
Feb 01, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it
Signed up for class to make the egg that turns in a bird at the yarnery. Its so cute and perfect timing for Emma's Easter basket. Can't wait!
Michelle
May 21, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
The toys in this book are irresistible! Clearly written patterns, clever construction, and lovable creatures.
Jan 03, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Since many of my friends are expecting children, I thought I'd take a look at this. It has lots of adorable ideas!
Patricia
Jan 02, 2016 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: used-to-own
It's a pretty good book, but I discovered I'm not crazy about knitting fiddly little toys.
Tif
May 17, 2009 Tif rated it liked it
Can't wait for this to come out. Her books are always my favorite knitting patterns!
Adrienne
May 10, 2012 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Everything in this book is adorable! I don't know what I'll make first.
Joan54
Jun 04, 2013 Joan54 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-again
Lots of cute toys to make. I want to try the snake, penguin and bear next....
Kimberli
Dec 07, 2009 Kimberli rated it really liked it
I love the inside-out/reversible patterns. And the baby balls.
Patti
May 03, 2010 Patti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting, favorites
Wonderful patterns and some are tedious to make - but worthwhile!
Tina
Mar 01, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Adorable patterns! I want to make almost every one.
Ivory
Aug 04, 2010 Ivory rated it really liked it
Cute, cute toys! I can't wait to make some.
Fangirl
Feb 25, 2014 Fangirl rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, crafts, toys
This book contains some adorable toys.
Jun 02, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ill, knitting
Cute! Lots of animals and dolls.
Allison
Apr 17, 2013 Allison rated it it was amazing
I love the patterns in this book!
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • The Big Book of Knitted Monsters: Mischievous, Lovable Toys
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Amigurumi Knits: Patterns for 20 Cute Mini Knits
  • Scarf Style
  • Knitting Mochimochi: 20 Super-Cute Strange Designs for Knitted Amigurumi
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting