Start by marking “All This Belongs to Me: A Novel” as Want to Read:
All This Belongs to Me: A Novel

All This Belongs to Me: A Novel

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Petra Hulová became an overnight sensation when All This Belongs to Me was originally published in Czech in 2002, when the author was just twenty three years old. She has since established herself as one of the most exciting young novelists in Europe today. Writings from an Unbound Europe is proud to publish the first translation of her work in English.

All This Belongs to
Published August 18th 2009 by Northwestern University Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about All This Belongs to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All This Belongs to Me

Rusalka
This has taken me several nights to write this. Mainly as I get started googling Mongolia and can't stop.

I got gifted this book by two very special friends. Interestingly it was from my Czech friends by a Czech writer, but I got no Czech while I read this book. I was expecting a glimmer or two of Prague or somewhere similar and then a dive into the deepest and darkest Mongolia. But on that front I was disappointed

What I was I was thrown into, and then stayed, was into the lives of a family livi
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
Goodreads recommended this book to me when I looked at Aitmatov's The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years, but while both books are set in the same general part of the world, that's all they have in common. The biggest difference being that Aitmatov's book is well-written and enjoyable, and this one is not.

All This Belongs to Me is the story of a family in 20th-century Mongolia, narrated by five women. The primary narrator, Zaya, gets more than half the book, and we follow her for decades, as sh
Jess
Leaving aside the minor miracle of a novel about three generations of Mongolian women written by a young Czech author translated into English and showing up at my local library, this book never came together into a coherent whole, remaining instead disparate, and occasionally repetitive, fragments.
Chris
Feb 24, 2015 Chris added it
All This Belongs To Me is the kind of book that makes me happy I learned to read. The story is about three generations of women in a Mongolian family, told from the characters' perspective. The harsh realities are, but for the idiomatic voices and the solid structure of the novel, nearly unbearable.

Petra Hůlová writes confidently as each of the five women, each telling their story or their version of the same story. There are mysteries in the family of comings and goings, of bonds, and strained
Gwen
Non c'è cosa peggiore che dormire da soli e io sapevo che le mamme non dovrebbero lasciare i loro figli e non poteva non saperlo lei. Però a casa nostra era così che funzionava. E prima di uscire doveva almeno raccontarmi la storia.

Tutto questo mi appartiene (La Tartaruga, 2012) è il romanzo d’esordio della scrittrice ceca Petra Hůlová, che con questo libro si è imposta anche all'attenzione della critica internazionale.
La storia, narrata da più voci femminili, tutte appartenenti ad un’unica fami
Petra
Interesting, multi-generational family saga.
The story takes place in Russian-ruled Mongolia at a fairly recent time (year unknown). It tells a tale of life on the Steppes, infidelity, the fallout of this act, transplantation into the City and the dangers of the City for young girls.
The lifestyles and thought patterns of this country are different and I would be interested in learning more about this culture.
This is an interesting new (to me) author and I'm glad I discovered her. The character
Kamila
Kniha Paměť mojí babičce byla skvělá. Dojem z ní mi lehce pokazila známá z Mongolska. Ostře se proti knize vymezuje, stejně tak jako, údajně, všichni mongolští studenti a lidé žijící v ČR, kteří knihu četli. To, jak Petra Hůlová vykreslila Mongolsko, je prý vůči jeho obyvatelům urážlivé, informace jsou lživé a dokazuje to prý její neznalost prostředí. A já teď přemýšlím, jestli knihu vnímat jako dobře napsanou fikci, nebo jako špatně popsané reálie. Asi se podržím té fikce. Bylo to pěkné čtení.
Sue
Story of 3 generations of women set in the Steppes. I had too many gaps when reading it and wished I had gone straight through - but the writing is very dense so although it appears a short book, it isn't. It would have been helpful to have had or made a family tree as I was reading. There were times when it was so real. The poverty was unrelenting as was the pride and knowledge of those who came from this place.
Skilpadde
Interessant war, ein und dieselbe Geschichte aus verschiedenen Blickwinkeln zu lesen.
Aber ansonsten eine wenig ereignisreiche Erzählung, die zwar Einblicke in das Leben in der Mongolei gibt, sonst aber wenig aufregend, wenn auch tragisch ist.
Eliška Skácelíková
I've learnt quite a lot about Mongolian culture. I love the way we find out personal secrets,we follow the plot by eyes of the members of the family. We uncover the hidden memories of the person by somebody else.
Sidney
A startling and wonderful novel about contemporary Mongolia, written by a very young and talented Czech author. Beautifully translated by Alex Zucker.
Adam
A mesmerizing portrayal of Mongolian culture and its pecularities!
Annie
Annie is currently reading it
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Denisa
Denisa marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Paola
Paola added it
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Oxana
Oxana marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Noha
Noha marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Hana Zahradníčková
Hana Zahradníčková marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Anatta
Anatta marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Bjorn
Bjorn added it
Feb 22, 2015
Denisa
Denisa is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
  • Hruškadóttir (Islandská novela)
  • Saturnin
  • Sedmikostelí
  • Until the Sun Falls
  • Nebe pod Berlínem
  • Markéta Lazarová
  • Prague Tales (Central European Classics)
  • Mr. Theodore Mundstock
  • Europeana: A Brief History of the Twentieth Century
  • Niki: The Story of a Dog
  • Fieldwork in Ukrainian Sex
  • The Line
  • A Guided Tour Through the Museum of Communism
  • Hearing Birds Fly: A Nomadic Year in Mongolia
Po maturitě na gymnáziu a neúspěšném pokusu studovat Fakultu sociálních věd Univerzity Karlovy studovala kulturologii na Filozofické fakultě téže univerzity, později přidala i mongolistiku. V letech 2000 až 2001 pobývala v Mongolsku, kde se odehrává děj jejího prvního románu, Paměť mojí babičce, jenž autorku proslavil.

Pobývala také ve Spojených státech amerických, kde se odehrává děj její knihy Ci
More about Petra Hůlová...
Stanice Tajga Macocha Umělohmotný třípokoj Přes matný sklo Čechy země zaslíbená