Start by marking “Young Adult Novel” as Want to Read:
Young Adult Novel

Young Adult Novel

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Published March 1st 1982 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Young Adult Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Adult Novel

Rising by Stephanie JudiceOnce Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountRevealing Eden by Victoria FoytRevealing Eden by Victoria FoytMr. Was by Pete Hautman
Unsung YA
57th out of 68 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Taylor
Logan has to read this. So does Jack. Without blowing details, it's told by a member of the Wild Dada Ducks - a group of Dadaist boys in highschool. I could clearly see these guys being my husband, and afore mentioned friends.

It is too funny.

My son loves Daniel Pinkwater's picture books (especially Rainy Morning and anything about Irving and Muktuk) and so we were inspired to explore the other avenues of his fiction.

It's a short book - even a slow reader could read it in less than a hour proba
Julie Decker
Dada. What is it? Well, by definition it's an art movement--an avant-garde perspective that focused on rejection of standards. So a group of boys have decided to embrace Dada not only in the arts but as a philosophy for their lives--rejecting or inverting every structure they feel shouldn't be applied to them--and they name themselves the Wild Dada Ducks, intent on injecting some absurdity into their daily grind of a school life. One of their missions involves disseminating messages about the co ...more
Darak
Comedy is hard. Comedy in book form is even harder, and very few reach the heights of Young Adult: I challenge you to read it entirely with no laugh or smile carried along the way. It is a very short book, but every word is packed with hilarity, absurdity and wisdom at the same time. Like all good humour, it achieves its goal exposing you to facts that true as they are fun. Read this as a teenager and chances are you will finish it as enlightened as you are entertained, with new knowledge about ...more
Katharin
My opinion of this book can pretty much be summed up in six letters: LOL WTF?
Kat
May 04, 2009 Kat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kat by: Andrew Cole
Shelves: 5-stars
I read an edition that contains BOTH "Young Adult Novel" AND "Young Adults" (the sequel), an edition which GoodReads does not think exists. Hm. I wouldn't want it any other way, though, as both parts are necessary to complete the arc (or pointed lack-of-arc).

Pinkwater was my favorite author as a kid, due to his warped/ridiculous plots and characters, and the fact that he trusts his young readers with cynical social commentary. (See Lizard Music, The Last Guru.)

Young Adult Novel/Young Adults is f
Nick Fagerlund
This is a complex lattice of sharp meta-jokes about art and culture, and then it explosively dismantles itself. It is GREAT.
Josh
This book is very short. It describes the machinations of a group of Dada loving kids at a very large high school. They do funny things like print up cards claiming the principle doesn’t exist and then distribute them throughout the school. Then they decide that one Kevin Shapiro, a nerdy freshman, should be “improved” by their Dada influence and set about trying to improve him. The results are very funny. I like the blurb on the inside jacket cover in which Daniel Pinkwater is quoted as saying, ...more
Patrick
This book is awesome! Those of you who took AP Art History from Ms. Hughes and remember the Dada movement will get a kick out of this. A group of high school kids take the philosophy to heart and try to live dada. It's great. Highly recommended.

But beware. There is a sequel with an almost identical title that is lame and dirty. It's about the group in college and is called Young Adults.
Scott
Long Live the Wild Dada Ducks of Himmler High!
Brilliant.
I've read it about 10 times but it's always a classic and I enjoyed it as much this time as any time in the past. Kevin Shapiro for President...
Great book for oddballs, outcasts & those that don't fit in. The usual Pinkwater zany, quirky, funny, irreverent masterpiece.
Inspiration Cadillac
Possibly the most important book ever written.

Well, to a certain young kid who picked it up in the library years ago. It remains the most influential book in my life and even going back to read it as a less young adult, possibly even a full adult, I find it poignant enjoyable. Mr Pinkwater's best work I think.
Jacob
This book is the reason I survived grade school and bothered to learn anything about twentieth century Mexican politics and hsitory. Probably helped me out through high school, too. Also, may be the best work on Dadaism written (mostly) in English.
Andrew
Actually it's four point five. Anything that is trying to introduce Dada to a young audience is just plain amazing. I loved this to death. It was hilarious and ruthlessly and delightfully weird. I recommend this highly.
Swankivy
It's very different. That's all I can say without really diving into explaining why. You'll like the characters and definitely feel after reading it that you don't know anyone who writes like Mr. Pinkwater.
Marisa
What a book! Introduces young adults to the joys of Dadaism. I laughed so hard the whole book!Fabulous!
Long live the dada ducks!
Greg Fanoe
I would highly recommend this to any youths. It was like my favorite book ever when I read it in middle school. Genuinely funny.
Rad
RARE because it's short and sparse but I still really liked it. Probably because of all the ridiculousness.
Bamcquern
Not as improvised as other Pinkwater books, and I like that. Maybe kind of fucked up, and I like that too.
Ren
Bit dorky. Not as good as some of his other books. I liked the twist at the end.
Laurah
This book opened my eyes to literature, and the better shit beyond.
Alex Szatmary
This book is one of the funniest I've ever read.
karisa
my favorite book ever. too bad it's out of print.
Elizabeth
An Extremely weird yet enjoyable book.
~twilight~
One of my three "desert island" books.
Aafiya
Aafiya added it
Dec 18, 2014
Teresa Gonzalez
Teresa Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
YA Novel - Lunacy, Secreats and a Side of Mom 1 1 Apr 25, 2014 03:22AM
  • Roosevelt: The Lion and the Fox, 1882-1940
  • Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book
  • Looking and Seeing: Learning to Observe
  • Free at Last: The Sudbury Valley School
  • Apple
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block and The Happiest Toddler on the Block 2-Book Bundle
  • Blowin' in the Wind
  • What Intelligence Tests Miss: The Psychology of Rational Thought
  • The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales from Around the World
  • A Rule Is to Break: A Child's Guide to Anarchy
  • The Dumpster Diver
  • The Princess and the Goblin / Princess and Curdie (Oxford World's Classics (Paperback))
  • Kids On Strike!
  • Why War Is Never a Good Idea
  • The Wolves Are Back
  • Minn of the Mississippi
  • All in a Day
  • Marisol McDonald Doesn't Match / Marisol McDonald no combina
20575
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that ...more
More about Daniel Pinkwater...
The Big Orange Splot Lizard Music The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars / Slaves of Spiegel / The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death / The Last Guru / Young Adult Novel The Hoboken Chicken Emergency